V10 Pricing

DickSimmons

Audi is in an envious position. They can limit supply as much as they want, even at a loss, to preserve value and create demand. This is a halo car for them, not a money-earner.

Unfortunately Lambo has to make a profit on these cars, and that requires heavy volume for the entry-level car, which means depreciation/discounts on new cars.

I'm sure dealer markups will exist for a while, but how long is anyone's guess. Maybe Wayne can shed some light, he never posted after his visit with the car last week.

Nothing to report. Car was buried in showroom no test drives offerred few cosmetic changes frt and rear.

Man, that's not bad! I just came from Miami's The Collection for a test drive of the A8 (just way too big...) and the cheapest they'd let the R8 V10 go was at $168K (Sticker was $168.5), loaded, with CF side blades. Seems they sell within 72 hours of coming into the dealership. I do like the design, just a bit too tame for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Car and Driver pitted one against an F430S with predictable results, not exactly the fairest of comparisons:

2nd Place

Highs: Comfort and usability of a two-seat A4, the angry V-10, the design details and shape.

Lows: Brakes that grab, slightly numb controls, dull for a 525-hp supercar, possibly too contrived.

As I've said about the V8 car, the R8 is the "NSX" of the new millennia. Does everything well enough to render the experience completely boring. Just no soul, hard to describe.

I haven't driven the V10, but it seems to be more of the same based on the articles in the major rags.