iPhone users watch out

jibaholic101

If you receive a text message on your iPhone any time after Thursday afternoon containing only a single square character, Charlie Miller would suggest you turn the device off. Quickly.

That small cipher will likely be your only warning that someone has taken advantage of a bug that Miller and his fellow cybersecurity researcher Collin Mulliner plan to publicize Thursday at the Black Hat cybersecurity conference in Las Vegas. Using a flaw they've found in the iPhone's handling of text messages, the researchers say they'll demonstrate how to send a series of mostly invisible SMS bursts that can give a hacker complete power over any of the smart phone's functions. That includes dialing the phone, visiting Web sites, turning on the device's camera and microphone and, most importantly, sending more text messages to further propagate a mass-gadget hijacking.

full article

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/28/hackers-i...tml?partner=msn

That is so overhyped. Let me just say, there is virtually no way this little hole could allow them to "take over your phone in it's entirety". The user would have to have SSH installed (only available if you hack your phone) and then only files would be able to be accessed. Could they get some information, sure, but take over your phone - not.

I cannot see that much could happen at all with an iphone not hacked (even if it was hacked, I don't think much can be done). Worst case with this hole is that you would have file corruption and have to restore the phone from the last backup.

You have better chances of getting struck by lighting than having an issue with this.

Haha! Verizon subscriber here, you could not give me AT&T service, no matter how "great" the iphone is.

:iamwithstupid: Plus the Iphone is made in CHINA.

"They say they've also found a similar texting bug in Windows Mobile that allows complete remote control of Microsoft-based devices."

Its not just Apple

3.0.1 update out to fix this leak. Should be on Itunes.

"Apple on Friday released iPhone Software Update 3.0.1, which fixes the SMS vulnerability demonstrated at the Black Hat security conference on Thursday."

3.0.1 update out to fix this leak. Should be on Itunes.

"Apple on Friday released iPhone Software Update 3.0.1, which fixes the SMS vulnerability demonstrated at the Black Hat security conference on Thursday."

DO NOT update if you are jailbroken/unlocked

"They say they've also found a similar texting bug in Windows Mobile that allows complete remote control of Microsoft-based devices."

Its not just Apple

I'd never get a windows based phone again. Absolute garbage.

I downloaded the new patch for my iPhone and now my car charger doesn't work with it, wtf?

:rolleyes:

Good argument

That's the main reason I went with a blackberry which is much more sturdy, sophisticated, battery life longer,...etc (in my opinion). Most of them are made in USA as well as Canada. Plus Verizon has some awesome coverage (both phone as well as customer service).

That's the main reason I went with a blackberry which is much more sturdy, sophisticated, battery life longer,...etc (in my opinion). Most of them are made in USA as well as Canada. Plus Verizon has some awesome coverage (both phone as well as customer service).

:iamwithstupid: