Learning about the Esprits

Allan-Herbie

It seems its rather difficult to make power out of these cars. One guy, spent mega cash, re-did internals, externals.... made 370rwhp! :(

Funny thing is that with just Lotus race Ecu, set at 11psi, they make 350rwhp bone stock. Seems even the race Esprits had a hard time making 500hp.

I also thought that all Esprits 2000+ up, came stock with the HIGH torque ECU, and they do not.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Im hoping for atleast 400rwhp.

Ok. It just seems (from reading the 1st post) that you didn't know much about the Esprit before purchasing the one you have now

It will be interesting to see how you do Allan. A 400rwhp is going to still be pretty fast. Are you going to dyno it stock to see where your baseline is?

Allan, Check out the race red ECU (http://extremeesprit.com/Perf__Mods/Racing_ECU/racing_ecu.html) direct from Lotus (not the hi torque), its 450HP out of box and a direct swap. They make you sign a waiver saying something to the effect that if you blow the cylinder heads off its tough shit as we told you so! Still, its an easy 100hp for 20 minutes work (also handy if you know a double-jointed midget to get the thing in and out) :) If you're interested, try Harry Appleby at Viking motorsports, he's one of the primo Esprit guys in the country 714 979-1020

Another good site for for ECU's, flowed turbos, BOV's, intercoolers tranny coolers etc http://extremeesprit.com/Perf__Mods/perf__mo tds.

Ok. It just seems (from reading the 1st post) that you didn't know much about the Esprit before purchasing the one you have now

Well, ive always known the mods available, but i havent seen the power increases that come with them.

Yes we will baseline dyno, and take it from there.

Im just having a hard time believing that at 11PSI, the car makes 350rwhp, and that people are adding blow off valves, running 15psi, intercoolers, exhaust, etc and only picking up another 20rwhp? It always been my experience that just taking off the cats on a Turbo car, makes HUGE power. According to a test done, it only picked up 5hp, with a notably quicker turbo spool up.

hmm thats odd for the somewhat lower numbers. You definitly want to get the real RED Racing ECU from Lotus. Sign the waiver to void your warrenty and you will get that instant 100 horsepower. I think your car will put down pretty good numbers.

Allan you should look up John Stokes of Santa Monica, CA Stokes Tire. His Espirit tt makes tons of horsepower and I don't recall that he had to jump through hoops to get it. He's a track hound that has set the car up right.

One guy, spent mega cash, re-did internals, externals.... made 370rwhp! :(  

Good grief, I find it hard to believe that's all he got, assuming there wasn't a boost leak or something else that was totaly out of wack.