Another complete noob question - wheels and exhaust

mwct

Okay a complete noob question:

What are the wheels and the exhaust tips for the Gallardo made of?

And what do you guys recommend to remove the oxidation/road grime that collects on both?

Okay a complete noob question:

What are the wheels and the exhaust tips for the Gallardo made of?

And what do you guys recommend to remove the oxidation/road grime that collects on both?

The wheels are an alloy, I use P21S cleaner to clean them during washing and Poor Boy's wheel polish to keep them looking great and easier to clean.

The exhaust tips are stainless steel, and if not cleaning/polished regularily will be perminently discolored. I use P21S for this and it works great, actually the only protuct that I found to work well on it.

Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant http://www.autogeek.net/pbws.html

P21S Wheel Cleaner http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2066_406623

P21S Mutli-Surface Finsh Restorer http://www.autogeek.net/p2mulfinres.html

I find it helpful to remove the wheels from the car to really clean the inside of the "barrel". Carefully scrape off any of the little "rocks" of black brake pad material that collect on the inside of the wheels. Use your fingernail or a piece of wood that will not mar the finish. This stuff will cause pits in the finish if left on the wheels long enough. Once they're clean, apply a good coat of regular car wax to protect the finish on the wheels.

This is also a good time to clean the grime off the brake calipers.

I find it helpful to remove the wheels from the car to really clean the inside of the "barrel". Carefully scrape off any of the little "rocks" of black brake pad material that collect on the inside of the wheels. Use your fingernail or a piece of wood that will not mar the finish. This stuff will cause pits in the finish if left on the wheels long enough. Once they're clean, apply a good coat of regular car wax to protect the finish on the wheels.

This is also a good time to clean the grime off the brake calipers.

Exactly, this is something that needs to be done at least once a year or more depending on what conditions you drive in or how often. A product like simply green works well to cut the grease/grim and then followed with a wheel sealant.

The only item I would add to is using standard polish in not the best as the wheels are subjected to intense heat and most waxes will disinegrate in the heat, therefore special wheel polishes or some synthec products are only reccomended otherwise the effort you make will be lost in your first drive or so.