Do Test Pipes provide any performance gain?

kilo16

I'm thinking about just doing test pipes for the time being on my 06 G w/ the stock exhaust. Is there any performance gain noticed?

I know the stock cats are 600-cell I think, so going to test pipes should allow significantly more flow.

Also, will test pipes throw a CEL?

Depends on when your 06 was made. Mine throws no engine codes.

I can't imagine test pipes NOT giving you a pretty decent gain. Cats are teh suck as far as flow goes. Plus your less likely to get an engine fire ;)

Depends on when your 06 was made. Mine throws no engine codes.

I can't imagine test pipes NOT giving you a pretty decent gain. Cats are teh suck as far as flow goes. Plus your less likely to get an engine fire ;)

Looking at the thing on my car, I think it said either 11/05 or 12/05, I can't remember because I didn't really take note of it.

El_Chorizo,

I'm thinking about doing a simliar set up as yours (LOC Exhaust + Fabspeed Test Pipes), how big of a performance gain are you seeing?

Looking at the thing on my car, I think it said either 11/05 or 12/05, I can't remember because I didn't really take note of it.

El_Chorizo,

I'm thinking about doing a simliar set up as yours (LOC Exhaust + Fabspeed Test Pipes), how big of a performance gain are you seeing?

Since the car has never been on the dyno I can't really quantify it. I didn't do the mods to gain power, I did it for the sound. And in that regard, I've not been disappointed. Best mods I've done. After I sold my 04 (with tubi exhaust) and picked up the 06 with stock exhaust I didn't enjoy driving the car as much.

At the time, I couldn't put my finger on it or figure out why. Then, I realized... the sound. That's one of my favorite things about these cars is the sound of the engine... once I got the exhaust on my 06 I was back in heaven.

I had an 04 Gallardo. First I replaced the stock muffler with a Tubi muffler and sounded better and will give you hp gain but will NOT be noticeable. Then I did the primary cat delete and LOST low end torgue but shot flames and sounded awesome!

NOTE - when replacing the primary cats on a 2006 I think you will have lights come on from what I have heard.

I would personally just do straight pipes like an x-pipe for a muffler delete and it will sound plenty loud and will gain some hp but will not have any lights go on (keep your cats on).

Hi there.

I've got an August 06 build car.

I've done a before and after dyno here in Australia.

After I did a service, fabspeed bypass pipes and BMC filter I gained around 6%. So I dont know how much each mod helped.

I do not have CEL issue and I have opened the valves and did the switch inside the car. No gains were seen with valves open or closed.

Low end with valves open and even more so with test pipes low end is loud/harsh and drop in power.

My 2cents.

Hi there.

I've got an August 06 build car.

I've done a before and after dyno here in Australia.

After I did a service, fabspeed bypass pipes and BMC filter I gained around 6%. So I dont know how much each mod helped.

I do not have CEL issue and I have opened the valves and did the switch inside the car. No gains were seen with valves open or closed.

Low end with valves open and even more so with test pipes low end is loud/harsh and drop in power.

My 2cents.

Interesting. What were your dyno numbers with the car?

How much power did you lose down low? Most of my spirited driving puts my revs up in the range, so high end output (4000 rpm and up) is more important.

A dyno chart would help me decipher the results better :icon_thumleft: