Lowering a 2009 LP640

Benkei

As a former LP640 owner and an owner of an SV with 14,000 miles of total experience with the two cars, I think lowering the car is a horrible idea if you intend to actually drive the car at any speed any distance without damage. I'm fussy about scrapes and fix everyone I get after a season of miles and I still get plenty. I saw a friend's LP640 get banged up very badly recently while on a high speed run. It was a slight rise followed by a short dip but just enough to do some substantial damage to the nose that was going to need more than just filler. I was far enough in front to get my speed down and avoid the same damage, but believe me, his was substantial. I've seen Lp640 after LP640 with lateral cracks across the front lip from slamming down hard, usually with little to no warning about what's ahead.

I recently shot Anthony Ray's car while our way to an event. At about 80 MPH, the car squats a little more I can't say for sure by how much but it is more. You should see it at twice that speed! I was in front of him on the radio letting him know that his nose was so low, it looked like there was no gap for error. I'd guess it squats another 1-2". Someone here may know the exact number of downforce in inches per pound of compression, but it looked substantial in my rear view mirror.

I often hear that others drive their cars fast, but never seem to save the data. I saved mine that day and I've included it.

DSC_1681.JPG

IMG_0459.jpg

This was shot yesterday. I was doing just under 150 when this photo was taken. You really think lowering the nose is a good idea? Seriously, whenever I hear someone tell me they are going to lower the nose on an LP640 or any other Murcielago variant, I immediately think they don't ever actually drive their car. As you can see, this leaves very little room for anything on the road. Lowering it is fine if you don't mind $20k for a new nose once in a while.

59502_1381586982856_1327391202_30923064_4834162_n.jpg

As a former LP640 owner and an owner of an SV with 14,000 miles of total experience with the two cars, I think lowering the car is a horrible idea if you intend to actually drive the car at any speed any distance without damage. I'm fussy about scrapes and fix everyone I get after a season of miles and I still get plenty. I saw a friend's LP640 get banged up very badly recently while on a high speed run. It was a slight rise followed by a short dip but just enough to do some substantial damage to the nose that was going to need more than just filler. I was far enough in front to get my speed down and avoid the same damage, but believe me, his was substantial. I've seen Lp640 after LP640 with lateral cracks across the front lip from slamming down hard, usually with little to no warning about what's ahead.

I recently shot Anthony Ray's car while our way to an event. At about 80 MPH, the car squats a little more I can't say for sure by how much but it is more. You should see it at twice that speed! I was in front of him on the radio letting him know that his nose was so low, it looked like there was no gap for error. I'd guess it squats another 1-2". Someone here may know the exact number of downforce in inches per pound of compression, but it looked substantial in my rear view mirror.

I often hear that others drive their cars fast, but never seem to save the data. I saved mine that day and I've included it.

What great photos Tommy ...

I'll see your 161 and raise you....

Here is what the nose looks like in hard braking from 150. I'm guessing there is less than two inches in this photo. When you measure the rise from the tire contact point to the nose, it would take little slope to do some major damage to the nose. I'm telling ya, lowering the nose on any Murcielago is a horrible idea, unless your only goal is to polish your car, and never drive anywhere.

4964350902_e8c82accbf_b.jpg

the spring rate of the aftermarket suspension is different, there is much less travel tolerance.

I like my cars standard but the SV and the 570 SL sit too high, from an aesthetic point of view the SV rear end needs to be slightly lowered , there is quite a large unsightly gap between the top of the tire and the fender, that's the only part

of the car I don't like, same goes for the 570 SL.

I understand why Scud lowered his car.

Scud post some photos mate!

goes something like this.

got told car had been lowered by lambo already. once further lowering was tried, coils started to rattle and springs would fall out of seats when you go over uneven driveways or surfaces.

need to change the lenght of the shock absorber body. there is a german company who supply but the cost was around $20k AUD.

not worth it to achieve a drop of 20mm.

We had no issue.. Lowered this SV and springs stayed nice and seated.

SV_LP670_4_03.jpg

First, how much did you lower the car and second, how many miles have you driven with it lowered? Around here, and even in OC, I had occasional scrapes, in normal driving. I only know of one SV that's never seen a scrape but I understand it's only driven on very specific roads. So you lower the travel, then it seems like it would be an especially uncomfortable ride on any distance.

First, how much did you lower the car and second, how many miles have you driven with it lowered? Around here, and even in OC, I had occasional scrapes, in normal driving. I only know of one SV that's never seen a scrape but I understand it's only driven on very specific roads. So you lower the travel, then it seems like it would be an especially uncomfortable ride on any distance.

We have had some near 200 mph burst with braking hard at the end of the pull and have had no rubbing issues. There are some places around here where you must use the lift getting in and out of parking lots. So far no issues, all though as everyone knows anytime you lower a car it runs up the risk of some chin scraping.

The lift system is only operational until about 45 MPH. The problem is that on typical curvy roads, you can't see what's coming and get down to 45 fast enough. The orange car above took a recent bad scrape on a county road. If he were lowered, he'd need a new nose. I was 100 yards in front of him and I heard it. I could see it coming. He just couldn't see the dip fast enough to react. Right now it's common to scrape about once every 1,000 miles at the current height. Lower it even a half inch and I'm guessing you're going to scrape every few hundred miles. Lower it even more, and I'd suspect you'd be shopping for a new nose rather often. I've seen lots of LP640s with lateral delamination caused by hard hits, not just minor chin scrapes or driveway drops. With suspension travel decreased, I'd suspect you'd badly sacrifice ride quality so I've not tried it. After a few hours of driving, I want out as it is. For me it's a case of function first, then form. I'm not a fan of doing anything to improve the looks (something I don't think it does anyway) at the expense of usability. I honestly believe that if Lamborghini thought there could be a gain and still maintain some practicality, they would do it already.

are you saying you lowered the car with the stock shocks and springs and didn't need to add or change anything?

my mechanics tried but more than around 3mm and they got coil rattle so we bought helper springs as mentioned previously.

• 2 weeks later...

IMGP0248__2_.JPG

The lift system is only operational until about 45 MPH. The problem is that on typical curvy roads, you can't see what's coming and get down to 45 fast enough. The orange car above took a recent bad scrape on a county road. If he were lowered, he'd need a new nose. I was 100 yards in front of him and I heard it. I could see it coming. He just couldn't see the dip fast enough to react. Right now it's common to scrape about once every 1,000 miles at the current height. Lower it even a half inch and I'm guessing you're going to scrape every few hundred miles. Lower it even more, and I'd suspect you'd be shopping for a new nose rather often. I've seen lots of LP640s with lateral delamination caused by hard hits, not just minor chin scrapes or driveway drops. With suspension travel decreased, I'd suspect you'd badly sacrifice ride quality so I've not tried it. After a few hours of driving, I want out as it is. For me it's a case of function first, then form. I'm not a fan of doing anything to improve the looks (something I don't think it does anyway) at the expense of usability. I honestly believe that if Lamborghini thought there could be a gain and still maintain some practicality, they would do it already.

i am with Tommy

these cars are low enough stock ... i have seen 640s with badly damaged bumpers and they were completely stock...lowering a 640-670 is just asking for troubles imo

shave over 1 inch 3 cms and the biggest difference you would notice is the times the car will touch the ground (and the question is not if it will touch but only when!)

i am with Tommy

these cars are low enough stock ... i have seen 640s with badly damaged bumpers and they were completely stock...lowering a 640-670 is just asking for troubles imo

shave over 1 inch 3 cms and the biggest difference you would notice is the times the car will touch the ground (and the question is not if it will touch but only when!)

I agree, both my lp640's stock have had the front touch when driving on normal roads. It is a horrible feeling as you know it is going to happen a split second before it touches, you feel the car enter a dip in the road and wait for the inevitable loud scrape noise and are left with the decision whether to stop and look ar keep going. I normally keep going and take a peek when no one is looking.

Russell