rear grill project.. progress update

Andrew R.

This is what I have done so far... I think it cleans up the look of the rear of the bigtime! IMO the reverse lights were useless anyways. I am hoping the new grill will allow more heat to escape the rear area...

new_grill.JPG

new_grill2.JPG

new_grill3.JPG

As far as what to do:

-remove the rear bonnet, (2) 10mm head bolts

-remove the old grill ((3) 4mm socket head screws & (2) 8mm head bolts, one on each side)

-cut the upper brackets off and weld on new ones in a slightly different position (just a simple L bracket like the old ones)

-drill new holes in the two lower side brackets

I havnt figure out how to glue the mesh on the back of the new grill yet, looks like some kind of caulking on the old one.

I am kind of split on the emblems.. I think it looks great already, but I'll but them on and see what it looks like.

Looking for feedback! What do you guys think of the new look?

Allanlambo: thanks for the advice that it would fit, otherwise I might not have tried it.

Looks good. Crap - cutting the old bracket...dunno about that on my car because I don't weld or have a welder. Not real comfortable doing something that can't be changed back to stock for originality... but the look may be worth it this time. My last show is in the end of April so have time to think about it.

I like the grill only, or only the bull centered in the middle.

Is the new Diablo script plastic red/gray or is it chrome?

The new badges are metal (chrome plated I think, they look great, night and day from the crappy plastic ones that we have), so I dont think the heat will do anything at all to damage them.

The brackets I cut off were p.o.s flipsy brackets anyways, 30 seconds with a dremel and a pair of pliers and they were off.

As far as the new ones, just a simple L-bracket, 2 minutes to weld them on. If you wanted to do it, just get everything lined up and take the car to a muffler shop or any kind of garage and have them weld them on. The weld job was simple.

My brother made me a hand full of L-brackets because he didnt know at first what exactly I needed... anyways, I'll see what I have left over, with any luck I'll send you all the bracket you need for the job (I dont need the extra ones anyways); then you would just have to cut off the old ones and take the car to someone with a welder, then the job is done.

As for changing back.. I woulnt worry too much, just keep all the old parts.

I think it looks great. Nice and clean.

If you do decide to put emblems back on, maybe just the Chrome Bull in the center of the grill.

-James Miller

about $900 for everything (grill, mesh backing, emblems).. about 3 or 4 different places told me over $1100, but I have a guy that is pretty good to me on parts so I made out ok... I had to get rid of the original one, the melted lights and emblems were just killing me. If anyone needs reverse lights and emblems for that old style, I have brand new replacement parts still in the bags that I bought before I decided on changing the grill.

Nope, havnt seen the check yet.. no worries about it, I know its coming.

I have a buddy at a machine shop that stopped by to check it out.. he made the comment that he could have made that thing for $200 (I thanked him for telling after the fact like he always does...). anyways he is going to make me a GT grill in his spare time at the shop... we found a mesh material that looks indentical to it.. so I am going to measure it up so it matches the size and mount of the one I just put in.

Andrew - If he makes the mesh grill, have him make 2 and I'll take one for sure. And hang on to those extra L brackets...you bet I'll take them..

Sounds good guys, as soon as I have something rolling on that GT grill, I'll be sure to let you know what the scoop is.

I could use some good close up pictures of a car with the GT grill is anyone has any...