Audio Upgrades in Lambos: Examples, Q &A

SoBeSean

If its a regular murci just order the Radio cage from the LP640 and buy a Kenwood DNX double din and have it installed. I did it in my 40th Anniversary.

Infamous.

Thank you for the info. Yes my murci is a reg 04. Which double din has the best dvd picture quality if you could recommend? Also is this something fairly eazy for Do It Yourself project.? I'm planning to give it a try, so if you have any step by step instruction would be best. Thankx

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well The cage you will be buying from the dealer will be made to fit the DNX models from Kenwood as those are the stock units for the LP640. To install the cage you will have to remove the dash trim and use a mirror to see the srews. Easiest way would be remove the whole dash but I am sure you dont want to do that..

Your looks bigger than .48 as it is taller than mine. You probably get a bit lower volume (but I'm trying to make up for it with gobs of power! hehehe)

So Sean, now that you've have some time with the setup what is the report? Still thumping? Still enjoying the sound? Any regrets or things you'd change if you'd do it over?

How about the thin Alpine sub. Is it producing well? Does it have a good response time? How would you compare it to a full-depth sub? Would a blind man notice the difference?

Thanks!

So Sean, now that you've have some time with the setup what is the report? Still thumping? Still enjoying the sound? Any regrets or things you'd change if you'd do it over?

How about the thin Alpine sub. Is it producing well? Does it have a good response time? How would you compare it to a full-depth sub? Would a blind man notice the difference?

Thanks!

I don't know the difference, but a blind man's hearing is usually better than one with vision. ;)

I don't know the difference, but a blind man's hearing is usually better than one with vision. ;)

That's why I asked... :P (in this context it is supposed to be funny)

That's why I asked... :P (in this context it is supposed to be funny)

:icon_mrgreen:

Unfortunately subs of today are so boomy compared to yesteryear....I love rap music, but the stereotype of blasting rap in cars has ruined the quality of subs for the most part.

Subs of old were low excursion, high sensitivity designs requiring (somewhat) large enclosure volumes. They were designed for 100-300 watts RMS average power.

Subs of today are high excursion, low sensitivity designs meant for small enclosure volumes. They are now designed for 300-1000+ watts RMS average power.

What the marketing machines have done is appeal to small enclosure volumes, and advertise their subs as being able to handle a ton of power.

Also they are trying to equate excursion to PISTON TRAVEL like in a car engine....lol, not quite the same thing.

Nobody wants to make sacrifices for anything, and apparently not enough have challenged this new status quo, so it stands. Win for companies, win/lose for consumer depending on who they are.

As an example, I would take any of the old JL Audio W2, W3s over the newer W6v2s and W7s any day. I'd even take their old 15" subs over any of their W7s if I had to.

If you really like fast, tight bass, most new subs just don't have it....at least from the big commercial names (JL, Alpine, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, MTX etc.)

I'm needing some help with the DVD player in the Murci also. Can I just pull out the POS OEM Stereo and install a Double Din DVD Player without adding amp or changing speakers, wire, etc...? Im just looking for picture and don't care for the sound much. Thankx in advance.

If you are removing a double din and installing a double din, it should be relatively simple. Mine is single din, hence the flip up screen single din unit. You will need a factory integration module to get the aftermarket head unit to sound good with the fatory amp, etc. (Assuming your Murci has an amp, and not just running off of head unit power) A standard high-low adapter, while better than in years past, still doesn't sound as good as the aftermarket adapters. As for picture, my understanding is that Alpine has the highest pixel count, but the Kenwood and Pioneer both look good too.

More to follow on my install shortly.............

So......... As I mentioned, I was having a power draw issue, so I ended up replacing the battery and so far that has solved the problem.... except that all of the Alpine Imprint settings were reset, so I am re-tweeking the system. I am happy with the Alpine flat sub - considering the spacial limitations. It is not "boomy" at all and very tight. I think it would sound better if it had a little more breathing room.. The box ended up at .52 feet. I think the roll off is pretty steep below about 45Hz (But, hard to tell because due to the "quarter wave rule", you must be 1/4 the distance away from the sound source as the frequency wave length you want to hear - - - i.e. 60Hz wavelength is 16 feet. You must be atleast 4 feet away from the speaker to feel it. 30Hz? Wl = 32 ft, so D=8')

The 10" hits hard and moves a lot more air than the 8". Would a blind man be able to tell the difference? Yes. Can I? Yes. Would most? No. But again, the acoustical dynamics of the vehicle are far from optimal and considering, I am very happy.

boxfront.jpg

boxback02.jpg

boxback01.jpg

I also piggy-backed a Clifford Alarm on the back of the factory system to add a proximity sensory for the interior (cuz it's a roadster), a "pain generator" shrill siren in the cabin, better security and auto window rollup on system arm. If there is interest in the technicals (it took 2 days), I'll have my installer email me link to where he posted his notes (apparently, this hasn't been done before and there were no notes for technicians).

So......... As I mentioned, I was having a power draw issue, so I ended up replacing the battery and so far that has solved the problem.... except that all of the Alpine Imprint settings were reset, so I am re-tweeking the system. I am happy with the Alpine flat sub - considering the spacial limitations. It is not "boomy" at all and very tight. I think it would sound better if it had a little more breathing room.. The box ended up at .52 feet. I think the roll off is pretty steep below about 45Hz (But, hard to tell because due to the "quarter wave rule", you must be 1/4 the distance away from the sound source as the frequency wave length you want to hear - - - i.e. 60Hz wavelength is 16 feet. You must be atleast 4 feet away from the speaker to feel it. 30Hz? Wl = 32 ft, so D=8')

The 10" hits hard and moves a lot more air than the 8". Would a blind man be able to tell the difference? Yes. Can I? Yes. Would most? No. But again, the acoustical dynamics of the vehicle are far from optimal and considering, I am very happy.

boxfront.jpg

boxback02.jpg

boxback01.jpg

I also piggy-backed a Clifford Alarm on the back of the factory system to add a proximity sensory for the interior (cuz it's a roadster), a "pain generator" shrill siren in the cabin, better security and auto window rollup on system arm. If there is interest in the technicals (it took 2 days), I'll have my installer email me link to where he posted his notes (apparently, this hasn't been done before and there were no notes for technicians).

Fiberglass enclosures look nice bro. Was curious how they looked in the Murcis & Gallardos. :icon_thumleft:

As for your power draw issue, did you check the alternator? That usually is a big one, but I can understand not wanting to change it on a car like this. Hopefully the battery will keep things in check from now on.

Why don't you add some polyfill to your enclosures? I'd say add a pound of polyfill to each enclosure and see what happens.

It helps. It'll increase the "apparent" enclosure volume...if you're at .52 now, I bet it will simulate around .75 -.80 after you add the polyfill.

It may make the bass a little "drier" at first, but you can compensate by turning up the gain on the amp. You'll get tighter bass, similar SPL and ability to play a little deeper.

WIN. :)