Nitrogen "Vapors"

DoctaM3

Nothing too exciting but finally decided to swap out 21% oxygen for pure nitrogen :icon_thumleft:

Anyway, I was bored while the operation was going on, so I figured I would document it--here goes (watch in HD)

I know others on here have done this. I assume as long as the tire holds the pressure, you never have to do much but is there ever a need for another infusion? If so, how often? What if you need to add air, i assume its would be contaminated and you will have to re-do the process, correct? I am sure others who have been considering it have the same questions.

While I hear what you are screamin', I have had nitrogen in my tires for a while on most of my cars (I get it pretty much for free when I get tires) and I never have to add air. They just don't lose pressure. May just be me, but I have been happy with it. I suppose there is some science to it and a lot of fallacy due to the added revenue. Thanks for posting those links, interesting reading.

While I hear what you are screamin', I have had nitrogen in my tires for a while on most of my cars (I get it pretty much for free when I get tires) and I never have to add air. They just don't lose pressure. May just be me, but I have been happy with it. I suppose there is some science to it and a lot of fallacy due to the added revenue. Thanks for posting those links, interesting reading.

I have to admit I didn't even think people were considering this a myth. Especially with so much evidence of the effectiveness.

The main idea, I thought, was not specifically that you were using nitrogen but that the end result is moisture-free air inside your tire (I haven't read the links posted above so I assume they refute this?). Without moisture the deviation of pressure does occur "as much".

• 2 weeks later...

I have regular air in mine and never have to add air either.

> The main idea, I thought, was not specifically that you were using nitrogen but that the end result is moisture-free air inside your tire.

The starting point is a freshly mounted tire, with air in it... and moisture. If you

want to avoid that, then you'd need to either evacuate that air (which is hard --

the tire isn't that flexible) or do the mounting in a climate chamber (set to bone

dry -- I have yet to see someone doing that).

From said starting point you pump in either air or nitrogen. Which does involve a

compressor. Which should have properly functioning filters for water, oil, etc., no

matter which gas it is actually compressing.

The end result? The same amount of moisture in your tires.