need help from tire experts

MANG

can anyone tell the 'born on' date of these tires from the photo here? They are Michelin XWX radials and I want to determine if they are OLD...or newer production 'remake's'...the information might lead to a life or death situation :shock:

thanks

post-9329-1284167650.jpg

I agree...at least as a 2009 tire.

Actually this came from the Michelin website, and according to this they're not 2009 tires, but 1999 tires... Tires made after year 2000 would have 4 digits, tires made prior to 2000 have 3 digits, so 109 would be the 10th week of 1999.

How do I know how old my tires are?

Each tire has a required Department of Transportation (DOT) number imprinted on at least one of its sidewalls. That number begins with the letters "DOT" and may contain up to 12 additional numbers and letters.

The first and last digits are the most important:

* The first two letters or numbers identify the manufacturer of the tires.

* Prior to the year 2000, the last 3 digits of a DOT number represented the week (2 digits) and the year (1 digit) of production. So if the last three digits are 439, the tire was produced in the 43rd week of 1999.

* Tires produced after January 1, 2000, have a 4-digit date code at the end of the DOT number. The first 2 digits represent the week of production and the last 2 digits represent the last 2 digits of the year of production. So, 3500 indicates the tire was produced in the 35th week of the year 2000.