Tell me what is cool about this pic.

capt_chaos

Michael J Fox is really Horacio Pagani? Wow, I had no idea! :icon_mrgreen:

They used to look alike, but not anymore. Fox shook it off

Cool pic. any more info about that Countach?

There's quite a comprehensive article here.

Cliffnotes though, off the top of my head: Lambo employee Horacio Pagani was convinced that composite materials were the way forward, and built the Evoluzione mostly from CF, kevlar and alloy to prove his point. It's several hundred kilos lighter than a standard Countach, and could have been made even lighter as a clean-sheet design. Everyone who drove it claimed it was an absolute sensation, completely transforming the old car. It also came before the F40 if I remember rightly.

After doing its PR rounds, the car was sadly destroyed as a crash test.

Horacio wanted to use this technology as a base for the new flagship, but Lamborghini management let caution get the better of them. Which is a fair mistake, given that there were lots of unanswered questions at the time about carbonfibre's longevity and durability, not to mention its sky-high production cost. So they stuck with proven but heavy and outdated tubular steel construction for the Diablo, which has lumped the company with a middle-of-the-road flagship ever since.

Ferrari took the risk with composite construction for the F40, bypassing cost issues by charging immense sums of money, and created something so special that they sold them as quickly as they could make them (which, with 1,300 cars in 5 years, is similar to Lambo's sales for the much cheaper and less sophisticated car). Lambo missed the boat on potentially creating another Miura-level sensation.

Lamborghini kept the composite materials lab open, but only used it to produce spoilers and seats until the carbon-bodied Diablo GT came along right at the end of the pre-Audi era (and we're only starting to see carbon-chassised cars now). Horacio Pagani left not long after the Evoluzione's proposal was rejected, and has done some pretty impressive things with carbon fibre since then.

Awesome picture!

Lamborghini kept the composite materials lab open, but only used it to produce spoilers and seats until the carbon-bodied Diablo GT came along right at the end of the pre-Audi era

That's not quite correct though, the SE30 is loaded with CF all around. Besides seats and spoiler, also engine bay, interior and a lot of the body panels (at least both bumpers, engine hood, front lid and side skirts). :icon_thumleft:

Reading the full article it kind of made me think what else lambo are missing out on tech wise that they may have passed over for cost purposes.

Then in a small section it asks Winkelmann if he will ever turbocharge. To the relief of Heffner and Ugr he says no. But I keep looking at the turbo g builds power outputs and wonder if they are missing a trick, drop a litre and bolt on two turbos and what would the carbon outputs be?