Gallardo----->Murci Upgrade

rosso spyder

I'd like to hear preferably from owners who have made this move. What difference was there in service, maintenance, storeage, driving, comfort. to be more specific, i'd be coming from an 07 Gallardo Spyder & moving into am lp640 Roadster. Is it worth it? Any regrets? I dont track my cars. I would be doing the same i do in my current car which is 2-3k per year on the motor. Sunday driver, taken on monthly exotic rallies & thats about it. I'm also hooked on e-gear so I'm wondering if the clutch in the 640 is the same or different in terms of wear and performance than my current car. ecu's the same? in my current car I dont even own a battery tender and she fires right up after sitting for an entire week. same deal with the murc? any input is appreciated.

2 entirely different cars. The LP640 will feel big and bulky after driving the Gallardo. If it's a Sunday driver garage queen then it will be enjoyable.

Maint. costs are higher in the LP. I can't speak for the clutch as I've never owned a Gallardo.

Hopefully you'll get some more input. Good luck with the decision!

Haven't owned a Gallardo but driven. Have had 3 Murcielago's including LP640. The Gallardo is just an all-around better car in-terms of comfort and usability. The big Bull is just that - THE BIG BULL. Large, uncomfortable, unforgiving. King of the Jungle on the highway though. And no one can discount the WOW factor. It really comes down to - how much do you want the attention?

Love the BULL.

I'd like to hear preferably from owners who have made this move. What difference was there in service, maintenance, storeage, driving, comfort. to be more specific, i'd be coming from an 07 Gallardo Spyder & moving into am lp640 Roadster. Is it worth it? Any regrets? I dont track my cars. I would be doing the same i do in my current car which is 2-3k per year on the motor. Sunday driver, taken on monthly exotic rallies & thats about it. I'm also hooked on e-gear so I'm wondering if the clutch in the 640 is the same or different in terms of wear and performance than my current car. ecu's the same? in my current car I dont even own a battery tender and she fires right up after sitting for an entire week. same deal with the murc? any input is appreciated.

I understand that you are trying to be safe before you're making the switch but why drive the G car while your mind constantly thinking of the M car? I won't have this problem if I were you.......life is too short to play it safe. Looking forward to see you rolling in that Roaster soon :eusa_dance:

I went from a 06 gallardo to a 08 lp640 and haven't had any regrets. The 640 is definitely more of a handful in terms of driving and maintenance. It feels much bigger on the road and even though it has a tremendous amount of grip, it doesn't feel as nimble in cornering compared to the gallardo. However it makes up for this in raw power and straight line speed - I'd say the 640 feels right at home on the highway where as the gallardo is more suited for the track.

The egear on my 640 overall feels better than the gallardo. It engages smoother and so far I haven't experienced any of the bucking that would occasionally happen in the G. However the 640 does feel like it feathers the clutch more on starts so I wouldn't be surprised if it wore out faster. From what I've heard & read, the murci clutches do tend to go quicker than the gallardos. The shifts in the 640 seem just a tad slower compared to my G, but this could be just my perception as it's tough to objectively measure.

To answer your other questions... service is about 2x as much on the murci compared to the gallardo - mainly because parts are so damn expensive. In the comfort dept, the 640 wins hands down. I"m 5'11" and I found that that gallardo was too cramped and uncomfortable for long drives. The 640 almost feels like a GT car and I can easily do an hour drive without any problem. The seats are comfortable and there is plenty of headroom. Also the kenwood system that comes in the 640 is 100x better than the factory unit on the gallardo - better Navi (garmin), better audio controls, etc. Storage is not really an issue. The murci will not start if it's left for more than a week or two, however, there is a switch in the engine bay that allows you to easily disconnect the battery if you don't plan on driving the car. Of course the car is wider, so it will take up more space in your garage.

Overall the murci is just a more special car imo - the design, the uniqueness, the rarity. The power is unbelievable and when you get the car on some open road, it truly comes alive. I feel lucky to have experienced both cars which like the others said, are night and day, but after getting a taste of the lambo v12, there's no going back!

. The 640 is definitely more of a handful in terms of driving and maintenance. It feels much bigger on the road and even though it has a tremendous amount of grip, it doesn't feel as nimble in cornering compared to the gallardo. However it makes up for this in raw power and straight line speed - I'd say the 640 feels right at home on the highway where as the gallardo is more suited for the track.

However the 640 does feel like it feathers the clutch more on starts so I wouldn't be surprised if it wore out faster. From what I've heard & read, the murci clutches do tend to go quicker than the gallardos. The shifts in the 640 seem just a tad slower compared to my G, but this could be just my perception as it's tough to objectively measure.

To answer your other questions... service is about 2x as much on the murci compared to the gallardo - mainly because parts are so damn expensive. In the comfort dept, the 640 wins hands down. I"m 5'11" and I found that that gallardo was too cramped and uncomfortable for long drives. The 640 almost feels like a GT car and I can easily do an hour drive without any problem. The seats are comfortable and there is plenty of headroom. Also the kenwood system that comes in the 640 is 100x better than the factory unit on the gallardo - better Navi (garmin), better audio controls, etc. Storage is not really an issue. The murci will not start if it's left for more than a week or two, however, there is a switch in the engine bay that allows you to easily disconnect the battery if you don't plan on driving the car. Of course the car is wider, so it will take up more space in your garage.

Overall the murci is just a more special car imo - the design, the uniqueness, the rarity. The power is unbelievable and when you get the car on some open road, it truly comes alive. I feel lucky to have experienced both cars which like the others said, are night and day, but after getting a taste of the lambo v12, there's no going back!

Koop is 100% right on. IMO you should do it based on how much you drive and what you use the car for. Go and test drive one first. It's summed up that it's not a supercar it's a hypercar.

i appreciate the replies. I felt very comfortable in a balloon white roadster I checked out. I beliueve the driver's seat is even positioned a bit differently than my car. I found it big but comfortable. I'd probably use it once per week like my current car, so this might work. i just dont want to drop 1/4 mill on a car that wont start or run with constant cel lights is all. double the annual maintenance cost is no biggie. my gallardo costs me a grand a year more or less, what's 2 g's a year? not a bid sacrifice. i'll continue to hunt for the one that is the right fit and to pick the brain of the guys who made the upgrade. I think the gallardo was a great entry level exotic and i'm glad I chose it over the f430 spider i shopped it against. i believe the murc is 10 inches longer and 6 inches wider than my car and i need to remember to measure vertically in my garage for obvious reasons but i doubt space will be an issue. i do appreciate the comments.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't own either yet but have driven several of each. I really think that if you are extremely attracted to the Murcielago, it wouldn't be wise to settle for a Gallardo. The Murci has such a strong emotional pull! I think that is what koop was saying.

If you have the Gallardo now and wouldn't mind having a more raw car, go for it. For what everyone says about comfort, I am almost 6'3" and I found both too small - not enough head room in either. I actually found the Murcielago to have a less headroom than the Gallardo. I made a custom seat mounting bracket for my current car to lower it 1.5" - don't know if that is possible in the Murci or not.

• 4 weeks later...