Get her wet to get her hot

BLACKBULL

After looking at several threads of TT G's & Merci's I'm curious to know why they use a water to air intercooler as compared to an air to air intercooler. Anyone have any inout???

After looking at several threads of TT G's & Merci's I'm curious to know why they use a water to air intercooler as compared to an air to air intercooler. Anyone have any inout???

Easier fitment and more efficient for the amount of space the Gallardo has to work with?

I'm no expert but this seems to be the logical answer.

Mid-engine cars, would be a plumbing nightmare to front mount an air:air ic, plus you have all the pumping losses, tube volume to pressurize, etc. It's prohibitive unless the car was specifically designed with the airflow requirements in mind (F40, etc).

Plus, if you really want to crank up the power for a glory run a huge ice tank is the way to go. And you still run a fluid heat exchanger up front to keep from heat soaking the water.

Both setups have compromises, but given the layout an air/water setup is the only logical choice.

^^ This means you have to refill the intercooler with ice??? How often???

he was saying when you wanna get the most power possible add ice for things like texas mile, but the set up sans-ice is as effective as it needs to be to hit their claimed whp targets.

he was saying when you wanna get the most power possible add ice for things like texas mile, but the set up sans-ice is as effective as it needs to be to hit their claimed whp targets.

^^ This means you have to refill the intercooler with ice??? How often???

We use heat exchangers up front to cool the water. You don't have to use ice. Also, our advertised horse power #s are WITHOUT ICE.

What about using dry ice???

CO2 release would wreak havoc on everything if used in an air/watersetup setup. There have been some adapted air:air systems which use dry ice, but its drag race specific.

If you need/want it cooler than a regular ice charge will get then look into water/method injection.

• 4 weeks later...

What about using a refrigerant based system to keep the water/ice cold. I'm thinking of a pressurized system of R13 (??) running through piping in the intercooler to eliminate the use of ice. Sound possible??

The systems in place are used for a reason. Considering the power levels that the TT Lambos are running at, why bother changing it?

You supposedly drive a Nissan with turbos... why don't you use a dry-ice, R13, pressurized, water/air/semen cooling system?

What about using a refrigerant based system to keep the water/ice cold. I'm thinking of a pressurized system of R13 (??) running through piping in the intercooler to eliminate the use of ice. Sound possible??

This has been done in some other fashions previously, one system I developed myself many years ago. Essentially revised the factory A/C system with a cooling core (piece in the dash which the air blows across to cool it) used as an IC. This worked well but you also abandoned the A/C system in the car.

Another version I worked on was a standard air/water IC. But we directed the cooling water through the factory heater core (obviously removing the engine coolant lines and rerouting them). This way you would drive the car with the A/C on, but the temp thermostat set to full hot so it would direct the airflow over the heater core. With the a/c compressor running it would be cooling the air into the cab, but flowing it over the heater core which would inturn cool the water for the IC. We sourced some aircraft components to build the IC core and it's amazingly effective. This was done 5+ yrs ago so i'm sure I could build something even more efficient now.

If you live in a warm climate where you constantly run the A/C system it's hugely effective. I mean it would condensate the IC core during a 100F+ SoCal summer.

The only downside to these systems is you have to control the condensation dripping. Not only on the IC cores, but the charge tubes in the A/C system and internal core. Dripping water down a drag strip doesn't make friends.

The systems in place are used for a reason. Considering the power levels that the TT Lambos are running at, why bother changing it?

You supposedly drive a Nissan with turbos... why don't you use a dry-ice, R13, pressurized, water/air/semen cooling system?

Just an "Is it possible" thought. For my FMIC set-up I can actually envision a system that would use tubing welded onto the intercooler. There is actually a company that manufactures a custom intercooler like that.

water/air/semen cooling system?...I didn't see that one coming!!...lol

Just an "Is it possible" thought. For my FMIC set-up I can actually envision a system that would use tubing welded onto the intercooler. There is actually a company that manufactures a custom intercooler like that.

Tubing welded onto the intercooler?