What's a decent price for this car?

MrDoctor

For that price she can almost get a brand new Civic, it will be dependable, cheap to repair and a quick sell.

The top on that BMW is going to leak worse than grandmas diaper.

Hahaha! I call people like your sister "Askholes".

They ask for advice or help from someone knowledgable on a subject, then just go ahead and do what they felt like anyways.

Exactly, they should just ask

"hey you know a bit about cars so I need you to validate my opinion"

They ask for advice or help from someone knowledgable on a subject, then just go ahead and do what they felt like anyways.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I know the type, never thought of a name for them though, but this is PERFECT !!!

:lol2:

I took her to see lots of great cars for the $. She was just unhappy or "too good" to drive a common car, I guess :eusa_think:

2004 Nissan 350z, 50k miles, one owner, base model, $12k...wtf..

Askholes irritate me! When this usually happens, I turn into a "Itoldyouso" :icon_mrgreen:

For that price she can almost get a brand new Civic, it will be dependable, cheap to repair and a quick sell.

The top on that BMW is going to leak worse than grandmas diaper.

Yup. Female logic :icon_anal:

Mmm, the top leaking, I honestly never took that into consideration, neither did she :lol2: .

My area is getting some rain tomorrow, we'll see what happens! I should start a blog for this car, lol.

Exactly, they should just ask

"hey you know a bit about cars so I need you to validate my opinion"

:tyson:

Even talked to a great BMW mechanic today about all the wonderful problems this car has...learns about all said problems, still buys the car. :eusa_think:

At least you all know how I feel! When I'm passionate about something such as cars, I generally know a lot about a little of everything...when people don't believe me, it makes me sad :crybaby2:

Moral of the story is-Dont buy a car that will give you headaches because it has a shiny emblem on the front. Especially one that is not a purpose built fast car-ie exotic. Sounds like she wants to look the part and she doesn't have the coin.

+1, there is a Lambo owner in so.cal who has a couple of lambo's but drives a Honda Civic "NGV" Natrual gas. He said the # of miles he puts on that civic is just about more what you mentioned in the post but he says saves a lot on $ on service and fuel.

I don't want to discourage used high end Luxury cars, there are some good buys out there but in cali, catalytic converters do fail and cost an insane amount of $$$$$$ in some cases they cost more then the car itself as for the Audi story, been there done that bought one for parts and it was that just a parts car to fix another one.

+1, there is a Lambo owner in so.cal who has a couple of lambo's but drives a Honda Civic "NGV" Natrual gas. He said the # of miles he puts on that civic is just about more what you mentioned in the post but he says saves a lot on $ on service and fuel.

I don't want to discourage used high end Luxury cars, there are some good buys out there but in cali, catalytic converters do fail and cost an insane amount of $$$$$$ in some cases they cost more then the car itself as for the Audi story, been there done that bought one for parts and it was that just a parts car to fix another one.

I told her about the catalytic converters. I spoke to the dealer, sales said they spent nearly $2k on emissions and smog, huge red flag to me. Oh well.

Here's to a SECOND bad bmw ownership experience. I HOPE she learns from the SECOND experience.

welp, she bought it. Just came back from driving it, fun little car. Oh well. :lol2:

Thankfully all maintenance is up to date and she doesn't drive very much. let's just hope this doesnt end up like the last bmw she had! she did nothing to that car, treated it like crap!

Buying a BMW out of waranty is like playing Russian roulette with 5 of the 6 chambers loaded. Good luck to her because she's gonna need it.

welp, she bought it. Just came back from driving it, fun little car. Oh well. :lol2:

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

I owned that same model that same year from brand new back when I was a senior in high school. With a manual 5 speed.

I pounded it hard every single day, and thankfully it was under warranty-even the day I sold it.

My only prolems with it were I blew the clutch clear off the transmission and took half of the flywheel with it (was my first manual car-what do you expect). Would have been $6,000 in parts and labor back in 2001-all under warranty.

The only other problem I had was something called a flex disk which IIRC is a piece in the driveshaft of the car. Mine tore, and it was a relatively cheap fix, but I didn't pay for it as it was under warranty.

Hopefully she bought my old car as it took everything I could throw at it: 6,000 rpm clutch drops for smoke shows in the high school parking lot, was constantly at 135+ mph in it (yes it was modded).

My 2007 335i on the other hand has been problematic.

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

I owned that same model that same year from brand new back when I was a senior in high school. With a manual 5 speed.

I pounded it hard every single day, and thankfully it was under warranty-even the day I sold it.

My only prolems with it were I blew the clutch clear off the transmission and took half of the flywheel with it (was my first manual car-what do you expect). Would have been $6,000 in parts and labor back in 2001-all under warranty.

The only other problem I had was something called a flex disk which IIRC is a piece in the driveshaft of the car. Mine tore, and it was a relatively cheap fix, but I didn't pay for it as it was under warranty.

Hopefully she bought my old car as it took everything I could throw at it: 6,000 rpm clutch drops for smoke shows in the high school parking lot, was constantly at 135+ mph in it (yes it was modded).

My 2007 335i on the other hand has been problematic.

In my experience 100k miles is when everything starts to fail on BMW's.

A few years ago I had a '99 (e46) 328i. In 1 (one) year the following things went wrong:

- Entire cooling system (waterpump, expension tank, hoses, etc, etc, etc.)

- Vanos seals

- Valve cover gaskets

- Driver & passenger window regulators

- Front control arms & bushings and rear trailing arm bushings

- Rear subframe (luckily repaired under warranty after contacting BMW Canada, was quoted +$5000 CAD by the dealership)

- Sensors galore

- Electrical problems galore

That list doesn't include wear & tear items or routine maintenance that I did as well. And when I sold it with 170,000 km (105k miles) the airbag light was on, the check engine light was on, the power door locks worked intermittantly, the heated seats didn't work and the rear shocks were blown. I literally gave up on the car and let it go to the first person with cash who wanted it.

Taking into account the repairs I did, the amount of time I wasted at the dealership and the money I lost in depreciation it would have made more sense for me to lease a brand new 3 series and turn it in before the warranty had expired.

In my experience 100k miles is when everything starts to fail on BMW's.

A few years ago I had a '99 (e46) 328i. In 1 (one) year the following things went wrong:

- Entire cooling system (waterpump, expension tank, hoses, etc, etc, etc.)

- Vanos seals

- Valve cover gaskets

- Driver & passenger window regulators

- Front control arms & bushings and rear trailing arm bushings

- Rear subframe (luckily repaired under warranty after contacting BMW Canada, was quoted +$5000 CAD by the dealership)

- Sensors galore

- Electrical problems galore

That list doesn't include wear & tear items or routine maintenance that I did as well. And when I sold it with 170,000 km (105k miles) the airbag light was on, the check engine light was on, the power door locks worked intermittantly, the heated seats didn't work and the rear shocks were blown. I literally gave up on the car and let it go to the first person with cash who wanted it.

Taking into account the repairs I did, the amount of time I wasted at the dealership and the money I lost in depreciation it would have made more sense for me to lease a brand new 3 series and turn it in before the warranty had expired.

DAMN! Those are the problems I'm afraid of, and the 100k mile mark I'm afraid of! Is is just me, or does it seem that BMW's have the same problems model after model?!

I have a feeling the subframe might have an issue. time will tell.

Pock, I'm jealous that you had one of those brand new in high school!

I have a feeling the subframe might have an issue. time will tell.

BMW North America should cover the subframe under warranty regardless of mileage but you'll probably have to fight to get them do it. The dealership (at least in my experience) will pretend that they've never heard of subframe issues with these cars. If it does have an issue and your dealership refuses to do anything about it contact BMW N/A directly.

BMW North America should cover the subframe under warranty regardless of mileage but you'll probably have to fight to get them do it. The dealership (at least in my experience) will pretend that they've never heard of subframe issues with these cars. If it does have an issue and your dealership refuses to do anything about it contact BMW N/A directly.

Thanks so much for the heads up :icon_thumleft: !

I think it's about that time to join a bimmer forum to learn everything I can about this car, for my sister :lol2: . Gonna be a fun summer!

Thanks so much for the heads up :icon_thumleft: !

I think it's about that time to join a bimmer forum to learn everything I can about this car, for my sister :lol2: . Gonna be a fun summer!

Glad to help! e46fanatics.com has tons of info on these cars including the subframe issues. If it wasn't for them I would've ended up paying for the subframe repair out of pocket.