Phantom Space

donnie

No, it is a pro-rata calculation based on each unit's size. The bigger the unit the greater percentage of common area expenses you will have, if I read your comment correctly.

I meant pro-rata - yes - the larger unit would have the greater common expense = but just now the smallest unit has the largest error. So I guess that rules out common area charging.

I ran into this problem in one of my warehouses a few years back. The portion of the warehouse in question was 12,000 sqft while in reality the space was actually 11,250. I had relied on the survey and drawings furnished to me by the previous owner who was also the builder, when my tenant raised a fuss and accused me of ripping him off I pointed out two things, first the error in the square footage was not mine, it came from the original owner, secondly his lease said 12,000+/- sqft. I gave him the option of breaking the lease and leaving over the disputed sqft, he chose to stay.

I had a small clinic that was a couple hundred of feet off. I didnt want to spend a dollar to get a dime. But, when my lease ended and I was leaving, my landlord became a complete bitch. I left the place flawless, patched all sheetrock, and took pictures of everything. She claimed I left it a disaster and was taking my entire deposit, plus wanted $3000 of damages. I was quick to tell her that I had pictures, and that I noticed a difference in my lease square footage and what it actually was. She shut up pretty quick.

100k extra over the 2 years! That is tough to swallow for sure. I am interested in hearing how they end up resolving this. I hope it involves cash in your pocket and no need for photoshop.

Ok maybe a little bit of photoshop. ;)

I lease around 17,000 sqft for my health club...gunna check my lease and do some measuring...i had honestly never given it a second thought.