Battery doesnt seem to charge properly on my Gallardo

ctomic

Hi everyone,

It seems to be a common issue that on 04 Gallardos the batteries empty quite quickly.

As far as I am informed the powerpanel should always show around 14 Volt while driving to charge the

battery properly. I never really paid attention to that before but many times - not always - it seems that this panel

only shows a bit more than 13 Volts while driving.

Is this a normal Gallardo behaviour, that the charging Volts go up and down depending on the speed

or battery-charging-lever or might that be a problem with the alternator?

It would be great if someone could let me know if they had the same experiences.

all the best from spain,

Chris

Check voltage with a volt meter at the battery terminals with engine off (and after it's been off for about 10 minutes).

Then check voltage at the terminals with the engine running.

You can try cleaning the terminals with a terminal brush (nut just the outside...Remove terminal, and clean all mating surfaces).

I haven't heard of any Gallardos with "charging problems". You'll probably see ~14 volts on the gauge when cold, and maybe 13.5-13.7 when it warms up a bit. Of course if you are cranking the AC with the fan on HIGH, then volts may be a touch lower.

But that dash gauge isn't all that accurate. the only REAL way to tell is to measure the voltage at the battery.

Report back with your findings.

How old is the car, how old is the battery??

• 10 months later...

Hi Turbo,

Finally I had a chance to check all the details. I seem to have a problem with the alternator. When the car is running

it never goes up to 14V, always stays around 13V even lower when I press the gas.

A mechanic told me it might be the regulator of the alternator? Does anyone know which model the alternator is on

a Gallardo 04 or how to take it off? The battery seems OK, it hast just been changed 14 months ago.

all the best from Spain,

Chris

You should get 13.5v with engine running.

Alternator is in engine bay in the back. It's under the car. It's an Audi part and pretty cheap. There is even a new part on eBay. Check grounding cable by alternator to chassis, as well as grounding cable in front tub on driver side under frame member. It's driven by belt and belt should be tight. Unless your voltage fluctuates a lot, your alternator should be fine. If car loses power after 2-3 weeks sitting, use a battery tender. It's not too hard to diagnose this by a mechanic. Get a second opinion and change it if both shops say that's the issue. Should cost abt $500 usd part and labor.

Can't believe it's taken you a year btw!!

Hi Dj,

Thanks for the info!

I haven´t been in Spain for quite a while therefore it took me ages ....

If anyone should be in Miami over wintertime, let me know :)

all the best,

Chris

Hi Turbo,

Finally I had a chance to check all the details.

Damn....And just a few weeks under a year to do so! LOL!

You should get 13.5v with engine running.

Alternator is in engine bay in the back. It's under the car. It's an Audi part and pretty cheap. There is even a new part on eBay. Check grounding cable by alternator to chassis, as well as grounding cable in front tub on driver side under frame member. It's driven by belt and belt should be tight. Unless your voltage fluctuates a lot, your alternator should be fine. If car loses power after 2-3 weeks sitting, use a battery tender. It's not too hard to diagnose this by a mechanic. Get a second opinion and change it if both shops say that's the issue. Should cost abt $500 usd part and labor.

Can't believe it's taken you a year btw!!

You my friend are on the money. 13.5 with fluctuations is normal for gallardo.