Rev Limiter on 08 Manual Gallardo

Odyssey

Hello folks,

I am a recent 08 6 speed manual (Giallo Midas) Gallardo owner. I bought the car out of Akron Ohio from Ganley Mercedes Benz. Maybe some of you may know this car. It had only 1144 mile on it (apparently driven only 1100 miles in 4 years) I bought it in Nov. 2012. I had it checked out and through various means confirmed the mileage to be accurate...I was suspicious being that the car is 4 years old and such low miles....this has to be the lowest mileage used 4 years old Gallardo in America.

Anyway so far all is well but I noticed the car Rev Limiter kicks in sometimes in the range of 7500-8000rpm. Is that normal? My friend owns an 07 e-gear and I drove his a lot before buying my own and I did not encounter the Rev Limit on it ever and I easily took it over 8000 many times. His has over 15k miles so maybe his engine is broken in.

Some key points:

1. My Gallardo still has the original factory oil so Oil is more then 4 years old....I know I am changing ASAP. Could the state of the oil be causing the electronics to sense all is not well and causing the rev limiter to kick in to protect engine.

2. The car now has 2000 miles so is it possible the engine is too new and not broken in so electronics is rev limiting.

I welcome your comments....I will post pics of the car soon

-I can't believe the dealership would not change the oil before selling you the car. As you said, i would change the oil ASAP. FYI, regular oil change is the cheapest maintenance you can do on any car.

-Oil has nothing to do with rev limiter.

-You say the rev limiter kicks in sometimes in the 7500-8000 range. I don't ever remember my Gallardo doing that and if it had to do with the break in period of the motor, it would not do it sporadically so get a tech to plug it in and see what comes up.

Congrats on your purchase.

Were you doing this with a cold motor? I'm not sure if the Gallardo does this, but my NSX wouldn't go over 7k RPMs until the engine was warmed up.

Ditto with my S2000.

Ditto with my S2000.

Good point....I always make sure car is warm before I even put it into gear. As LPDADDY suggested I am going to take it in and have it hooked up to dealership computers and see if they find anything. I took it out yesterday and no such issue occurred so I am hoping it's just some fluke.

Good point....I always make sure car is warm before I even put it into gear. As LPDADDY suggested I am going to take it in and have it hooked up to dealership computers and see if they find anything. I took it out yesterday and no such issue occurred so I am hoping it's just some fluke.

Usually, no such think as fluke with electronics. If something is acting up, it might not show as a fault on the diagnostics computer but it will eventually show up somewhere.

It probably is not complicated and the Gallardo as a rule is pretty bulletproof.

Good luck.

fwiw--i have had some experience with the tach on the dash not reacting as quickly as the fuel cutoff---sometimes in lower gears with snappy application of throttle the the thing will bounce off the rev limiter before you actually see the physical needle get there--