95 vt help

Iltorored

Hello, I need help sorting out an electrical problem on my Diablo. It keeps blowing the 5 amp fuse that feeds the instrument cluster. None of the gauges work. I have an orange and green wire that

Is common to all gauges and it is "grounded " . Anybody has any idea where I should look?

I would start by looking under the dash in the driver's side foot well... and looking for obvious problems. Does it have an aftermarket alarm, radio, or any of that?

I would start by looking under the dash in the driver's side foot well... and looking for obvious problems. Does it have an aftermarket alarm, radio, or any of that?

Thank you andrew3386 I have been there and found a 5 amp fuse blown, however every time that It is replaced it blows again when Starting the engine According to the vt "supplement" manual the fuse powers the instrument panel and lights. On the big owners manual it states that it powers instrument panel, lights and "oil pressure device" I think it may be referring to the oil pressure sending unit. I dont have any idea where it might be located...

Everything is stock

Oil pressure sending unit is right by the oil filter near the battery in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Sounds like something isn't grounded but I don't know where the main ground wire runs to behind the dash. Try contacting JeffLambo on here.

There should be one main plug for the cluster used for removing it. Unplug it then install a new fuse. If it dose not blow then its in that unplugged part of the cluster. If it still blows then look at oil pressure sending unit side of it.

You can use snap ring pliers to remove the bolts that hold cluster in. Be careful with the leather against the edge of the cluster if you remove it.

There should be one main plug for the cluster used for removing it. Unplug it then install a new fuse. If it dose not blow then its in that unplugged part of the cluster. If it still blows then look at oil pressure sending unit side of it.

You can use snap ring pliers to remove the bolts that hold cluster in. Be careful with the leather against the edge of the cluster if you remove it.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, here is what I have done:

Removed the instrument cluster and unplugged it, still blows the 5 amp fuse, unplugged a box that sits underneath the cluster that is labeled GFA,

still blows the fuse.

Removed left rear tire and panel and disconnected two wires from round piece that has two knurled nuts at the top (sending unit) still blows the fuse,

I then disconnected one wire to what I think is the oil temp sensor (looks like a sparkplug) still blows the fuse............

This may not be relevant but at the end of last summer my AC compressor locked-up and melted the belt... since I think Diablo compressor runs all the time, does anybody think this may have something to do with it? The wire going to the AC compressor is disconnected, while I wait for the new compressor to arrive...

The wire that engauges the a/c clutch is hot. It it grounding on anything?

The wire that engauges the a/c clutch is hot. It it grounding on anything?

I disconnected the wire going into the compressor, the side that goes inside compressor is grounded

and the side coming fom the wire harness has 12.7 volts

The issue may not be a component but a wire befor say the cluster is shorting to a ground (pinch,screew,chafing) sometimes these can be a very hard repaires

Will not have any thing to do with A/C clutch as it has its own fuse for the clutch in the engine bay left side.

As I look at the task of probably having to remove the entire dash to try to find where the existing positive that feeds the cluster is shorted and not being really sure that I will find anything

it has occurred to me that it may be an easier fix to just build a new single wire

"harness" to bring power to all the gauges from the point where the old positive originates (fuse array)

and hook it up to all the positive terminals of the gauges.

Is this a crazy idea or what? Thank you guys..

That's doable too. It's always a good feeling to find the issue if you can but sometimes not worth the hassle.

Update; disconnected speedometer from the redt of the cluster and it no longer blows the fuse. Started engine and all gauges now work fine (except speedo of course) now the question is if there is another component associated with the speedometer or it the speedo causing the short? It seems to me that there should be some kind of

"sending unit" somewhere.... Any ideas? Thanks,

Could try jumpering one of the other gauge power signals to the speedo via a new wire to see what happens.

I tried jumping power to the speedo from another gauge and speedo started smoking and then fuse blew........ what the heck is going on???

• 2 years later...
That is weird. I'm not sure what the next step is from there.

SOLVED !!!!!!!!!

Speedometer was shorted, sent it to North Hollywood and now everything is OK , no longer blows the fuse...