98 SV starter fuse??

DangeRuss

Soooo it seems I put the trickle charger on the wrong way and now the car wont crank, dash light dont come on or nothing.

Does any one know where the starter fuse ( or whatever other fuse) this could be is located on the panel? I pulled the cover off the fuse panel and the owners manual is very vague.

Thanks for your help.

20130513_131239_zps9fef873f.jpg

I can try to check the service manual when I get home. Hope you are able to get it back up again before next weekend!

Thanks man, really appreciate it!!!

Off the top of my head, on the 91 at least, I believe the starter relay is under the seat near the fuel pump relays since I recall from recently doing new fuel pumps.

Remember there's another fuse/relay compartment in the engine bay, behind side panel, drivers side. More likely to be there IF that's the problem. You can see if the element is blown by looking at the top of those fuses.

Russ, I do not see a fuse for the Starter in the manual. I see a Relay for the starter that is in the engine compartment box, driver's side directly across from the center of the engine pretty much. It is a 12V 70 amp relay according to my manual an is the lone relay in the second row. The first row has 4. If that's not it, then i'm not sure. Maybe Jeff will chime in!

Idiot lights are 4th fuse down from the top on the left in the footwell compartment. Two top relays on the upper right possibly.

I connected my trickle charger per this post:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67474

Before i connected it the car would crank over, after leaving the trickle on it for a few minutes until i saw this postL

Not sure if it makes a difference or not but my manual shows specifically to use the other positive lead, with the 2 wires, that is what I used for my trickle charger and it worked perfectly.

This is correct, hook the positive to the other positive post. The one you circled has a fuse in it to protect the starter. If it pops, you will not be charging the battery. So use the other post.

Then I ran out to the garage and pulled it off but i guess this fuse popped, the car wont crank , none of the dash lights come on, nothing. So today I took the wheel off and put an actual charger on the battery and still i get nothing ,no dash lights doesnt crank over or anything.

So i am guessing it is the ignition fuse, I will just go pull all of the fuses and see with one is popped.

Thanks~

It doesn't matter what side of the fuse your on, but if that "mega fuse" is blown, that will for sure stop everything. The question would be how you did that. Did it get shorted to ground somehow? You'd know it, BIG sparks.

You need to jumper the two post's together with a jumper cable, or just turn your key on, and use a screw driver to short the two post's, if your dash lights come on, it's blown.

Looked into my manual, no ignition fuse, or anything controlling the entire electrical system.

It doesn't matter what side of the fuse your on, but if that "mega fuse" is blown, that will for sure stop everything. The question would be how you did that. Did it get shorted to ground somehow? You'd know it, BIG sparks.

You need to jumper the two post's together with a jumper cable, or just turn your key on, and use a screw driver to short the two post's, if your dash lights come on, it's blown.

Looked into my manual, no ignition fuse, or anything controlling the entire electrical system.

Thanks for the advise, I am going to buy a new battery in the morning (fingers crossed, although I'm sure it wont matter). I guess If the fuse is blown I'll need to find where I can buy a new one, cause the car is going up for sale next week.

Thanks again~

Do you have a big flat blade fuse like the one in this picture? If so and it is blown, nothing will work. Replace it and you will be fine.

post-15160-1368493877.jpg

Do you have a big flat blade fuse like the one in this picture? If so and it is blown, nothing will work. Replace it and you will be fine.

Yes I have that, any idea where I can get a new one???

Thanks again for everyones help, Im supposed to take her to a show tomorrow night,

Yes I have that, any idea where I can get a new one???

Thanks again for everyones help, Im supposed to take her to a show tomorrow night,

Any car stereo shop will have them.

Thanks so much, changed that fuse and she fired right up!!!!

Glad you got it fixed :icon_thumleft: What are you going to replace the car with when it sells :eusa_think:

So, the question is what caused it to blow in the first place? Did the charger fail? Was there a short?

In my opinion, I would still connect to the same terminal as described in the other thread I started. Jeff pointed out that charging on the side he recommended is correct because if something happens, it will pop the fuse instead screwing up the battery (and probably electronics).

Thanks so much, changed that fuse and she fired right up!!!!

Awesome! Congrats

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you got it fixed :icon_thumleft: What are you going to replace the car with when it sells :eusa_think:

So, the question is what caused it to blow in the first place? Did the charger fail? Was there a short?

In my opinion, I would still connect to the same terminal as described in the other thread I started. Jeff pointed out that charging on the side he recommended is correct because if something happens, it will pop the fuse instead screwing up the battery (and probably electronics).

Either another Gallardo or an Aston.