Diablo VT drivetrain questions/thoughts

abolfaz

Like I said the yellow 6.0 that I just got (the one thats on Sp's site with the "scrmer" vanity plate) has the 4wd system removed, it was done as if it was from the factory. I think the Sp guys did it, if so they know their shit and I would check with them on how to do it.

I too would love to hear about the factory 6.0 2wd setup. If anyone does know the specs?

More importantly, I would like to know the specs on the 2wd setup of the GT model.

I've researched this but never found definative answers.

Again, you do not need any parts to make this conversion. You remove everything, the driveshaft, the front axels, and the Viscious coupler. It all comes out. The weight you lose, will give an increase in performance, and frees up power.

I believe Modman here, has also done this entire conversion himself.

The only trace of 4wd that my car has is a forward output shaft and thats it. How can you remove the Viscous coupler? Isn't it part of the transmission?

Since I dont care for how tall 1st gear is (which I think has a lot to do with the short clutch life people experience).... I have thought about putting a lower gear in the rear (the factory SE gear) and at the same time removing the VT components because they dont make a lower front gear to match.

I was in a 2wd Diablo with the SE gear and that thing had all kinds of punch out of the hole!!!

The only thing that has prevented me from doing this is the fear of making the car harder to sell in the event that I needed to sell it.

You can make the conversion with all existing parts but you have to disassemble the front axle shafts in order to re install the yokes into the spindles.You must also move the rack and pinion in order to get the front diff out of there.Thats probably the most time consuming part.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

There are very few people that I would trust to do this job. As I mentioned I have a 6.0 2wd that I think was done by SP. I'm not kissing ass here, but the job they did was first rate, so much so that I think it would be worth the shipping costs.

if it is the same 6.0 in black that is a 2wd that car is in England.. as far as i know it is the only RHD car in the country..

If anyone runs into Balboni at an event, maybe you could ask him to inquire to the Engineers at the factory about the methods involved??

There seems to be a lot of interest in this. If all else fails, send your car back to the factory for a 2wd conversion. :)

Why not go all the way and just get a 2wd tranny and do away with the output shaft for the 4wd? Wouldnt the car be even faster?

• 3 weeks later...
Again, you do not need any parts to make this conversion. You remove everything, the driveshaft, the front axels, and the Viscious coupler. It all comes out. The weight you lose, will give an increase in performance, and frees up power.

I believe Modman here, has also done this entire conversion himself.

so remove all parts and then drive it with 2wd thats easy love to do that but Allan are you sure it wont leak some oil ? as someone said it can !! im confused can you confirm this please ? thanks