Fuel filters on Diablo

Allan-Herbie

I did this earlier this year and I think I did a write up somewhere on here but I can't remember what thread. I originally messed up and thought there was just the one pair of filters so I only ordered the small Fiat filters that are right outside of the tank in front of the rear passenger wheel. BUT there is another pair or larger fuel filters upper engine bay beneath the coolant overflow tank. The part number for the small Fiat filters is in the Diablo parts thread but I'm pretty sure I found them on eBay and they were like $30 each maybe. Basically there are 2 lines out of the side of the gas tank that go to the small filters then to fuel pumps then to large filters before hitting the engine.

I'm assuming your parts are the same as an early D but I'm not sure. You must pull the fuses and relay for the fuel pumps under the passenger seat. Then start the car and let it run till it dies to relieve the pressure. Then remove passenger rear wheel (Jack up the rear of course) and remove the lower wheel well liner towards the front as well as the bottom panel. I did not do this but something to pinch the hose on each side of the filter will help and then undo the clamps before and after the small filters. Then the easiest way I found to get them loose was to try to spin the filter. Some oil pan or an extra person to plug the line may help. I made a mess and did not wear gloves and got gas all over my hands and had a rash for a week! Pretty much disconnected them and pop the new one in as quick as possible. Then repeat. I did not do the uppers and it is a little bit more of a pain the access those since you will need to undo the coolant over flow tank and move to the side. I imagine those would be less messy with gravity. You may consider doing new fuel pumps st the same time which js pretty much the same idea except you have to disconnect and reconnect the wiring to those. Making a mess was my biggest problem. Once you're hooked back up just reverse the panels and relay/fuses and crank it up. Hope that helps some

I did this earlier this year and I think I did a write up somewhere on here but I can't remember what thread. I originally messed up and thought there was just the one pair of filters so I only ordered the small Fiat filters that are right outside of the tank in front of the rear passenger wheel. BUT there is another pair or larger fuel filters upper engine bay beneath the coolant overflow tank. The part number for the small Fiat filters is in the Diablo parts thread but I'm pretty sure I found them on eBay and they were like $30 each maybe. Basically there are 2 lines out of the side of the gas tank that go to the small filters then to fuel pumps then to large filters before hitting the engine.

I'm assuming your parts are the same as an early D but I'm not sure. You must pull the fuses and relay for the fuel pumps under the passenger seat. Then start the car and let it run till it dies to relieve the pressure. Then remove passenger rear wheel (Jack up the rear of course) and remove the lower wheel well liner towards the front as well as the bottom panel. I did not do this but something to pinch the hose on each side of the filter will help and then undo the clamps before and after the small filters. Then the easiest way I found to get them loose was to try to spin the filter. Some oil pan or an extra person to plug the line may help. I made a mess and did not wear gloves and got gas all over my hands and had a rash for a week! Pretty much disconnected them and pop the new one in as quick as possible. Then repeat. I did not do the uppers and it is a little bit more of a pain the access those since you will need to undo the coolant over flow tank and move to the side. I imagine those would be less messy with gravity. You may consider doing new fuel pumps st the same time which js pretty much the same idea except you have to disconnect and reconnect the wiring to those. Making a mess was my biggest problem. Once you're hooked back up just reverse the panels and relay/fuses and crank it up. Hope that helps some

Thanks! Seems Napa also has filters that work.

Thanks! Seems Napa also has filters that work.

I replaced a fuel filter that was leaking with a generic NAPA filter

that had the right-sized hose fittings on the ends.

Yeah like Allan mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few options. I'm guessing the fuel lines are a fairly generic size. I mainly wasn't sure about flow rates or differences inside the filters so I went with the filters mentioned in the parts thread just to be on the safe side and luckily the fiat ones happen to be fairly inexpensive. Those were the small filters right outside the tank. The large filters under the coolant overflow tank I'm sure have some options too.