Engine Hoist and Tilter

Chipster

Well I think in the near future I am going to pull the engine myself, replace all seals, and do some other odds and ends while I have it out. Doing the work myself will make it fairly cheap and since I'm not in a big rush it will work for me.

What size engine hoist do I need? 2 ton? Anyone have suggestions on spreader bars and or tilters and chains? I'm pretty sure I can borrow some but I want to make sure I have the right things.

And actually Huntnpool emailed me the specs on his stuff years ago and I can't find it. Pretty sure that the spreader bars were custom to remove the engine with the intake manifold in place. Pretty sure I can remove the intake manifold and then not need anything custom. But any info will help.

• 2 months later...
And actually Huntnpool emailed me the specs on his stuff years ago and I can't find it. Pretty sure that the spreader bars were custom to remove the engine with the intake manifold in place. Pretty sure I can remove the intake manifold and then not need anything custom. But any info will help.

Sorry guys, I have not been on the site in a while. I can email the specs on the bars I made or loan them if you are local? Send email to [email protected] since I am seldom on here, be glad to help any way I can.

Rob

Copy_of_hoist1.jpg

Copy_of_hoist2.jpg

hoist3.jpg

This is what I made to remove the engine easily. It works great on any mid engine car with no risk of hitting the bodywork if you go at a weird angle like with an engine crane.

post-1512-1387528407_thumb.jpg

post-1512-1387528532_thumb.jpg

Thanks Huntnpool for posting the info. And thanks to Andecorp as well. Nice looking Lotus! With the intake manifold off, and the two things on the center of each valve cover off, a normal 2 ton hoist at the half ton setting with a 2 ton engine leveler worked just fine. The bumper did need to come off though. Cost me about $260.