Anyone tried Girodisc S/S Pads?

SpyderBite

Like many, I haven't been a fan of the brake pedal feel for the Gallardo... Feels like too much initial effort and pedal travel needed in order to get a "significant enough" braking response. I'll be changing out my old brake fluid soon (to SRF), and figure I'll try new pads too purely in an attempt to improve the bite and feel.

After chatting with Girodisc, I'm thinking to try their "S/S" pads (not the "Magic" pads). Girodisc says the S/S is a good "aggressive street pad", more initial bite, firmer pedal throughout/compressability is better, quietness is similar or not much worse than stock, handles higher temps well so light/beginner track use ok, fine on initial stops on the street (doesn't require heating up like a track pad) though will do better after an initial use to get things warmer. Dust will be similar to stock however which we know is on the dustier side, whereas the Magic Pad is low-dust but stock-performance/feel.

Has anyone tried them? Thoughts? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a set of SS pads for the front brakes for last year's track season. I was very pleased with them - lots more bite than the Magic pads. Try 'em.

I ran Magic street pads on the rear.

I got a set of SS pads for the front brakes for last year's track season. I was very pleased with them - lots more bite than the Magic pads. Try 'em.

I ran Magic street pads on the rear.

Why not the S/S front and rear?

Have you used the S/S on the street? How are they on noise vs. stock? I can handle the dust which is supposedly similar to stock, but I'd want quiet brakes (on par with stock) or that would bother me.

Thanks!

The combination of S/S on the front and Magic on the rear worked out fine for me and my driving style. If you get deeper into the brakes in the turns you might benefit from having S/S pads on the rear.

I use the S/S pads for track days, so I've not run the S/S pads on the street for an extended time. But I didn't notice any squeaking for the thousand or so miles I ran them on the street getting to and from the track.

Why don't you put S/S pads just on the front and try them for a couple of months. Half the cost of going all-in and you get most of the benefit of the more aggressive compound.

I use the S/S pads for track days, so I've not run the S/S pads on the street for an extended time. But I didn't notice any squeaking for the thousand or so miles I ran them on the street getting to and from the track.

Why don't you put S/S pads just on the front and try them for a couple of months. Half the cost of going all-in and you get most of the benefit of the more aggressive compound.

Thanks again for the feedback. I was starting to get cold feet on these pads when it seemed like no one had tried them.

Good to hear you didn't notice any additional noise. The rears are notably cheaper than the fronts, at $180 I may as well just do all four at once and be done with it. Also saves me from going through the bedding process twice ;).

I'll give them a shot and report back a few weeks after the pads have been bedded in.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks again for the feedback. I was starting to get cold feet on these pads when it seemed like no one had tried them.

Good to hear you didn't notice any additional noise. The rears are notably cheaper than the fronts, at $180 I may as well just do all four at once and be done with it. Also saves me from going through the bedding process twice ;).

I'll give them a shot and report back a few weeks after the pads have been bedded in.

let us know how those pads work out, also change the brake fluid for a better feel. i believe people prefer Motul

let us know how those pads work out, also change the brake fluid for a better feel. i believe people prefer Motul

Got everything installed a few days ago including changing the fluid to SRF. Haven't had a chance to put any miles on the car yet, so it'll probably still be several weeks until I can assess the changes. Will post an update then!

• 4 months later...
How do you like them?

I just ordered a set of rotors and SS pads for all 4 corners.

Dust & noise is basically the same as stock.

Performance results are mixed IMO. I had really been hoping they would feel more aggressive/grabby than stock for the street. However, at least for regular braking or the first time you brake very hard, these S/S pads don't seem to grab more than stock at/below 100mph. A Lambo shop owner (and more of a track nut) commented that something had changed in that the car's ABS was responding differently, but he thought the net braking result ended up about the same. Now, how much the (IMO, horrible) stock brake system's feel is masking the pad's performance, or how the pads compare to stock for back-to-back-to-back hard braking efforts, I can't say.

The main area where they may be a win could be how they hold up to repeated braking and/or heat from high speed braking. Duhawks, that could be relevant for you given the speeds you quickly get up to :). I have been to the track once with them but keep in mind I'm a track newb and I was not trying to find the limits on the brakes, so I can only say that brakes weren't an issue.

I guess I would summarize for everyone by saying: for a naturally aspirated G that's a street car, if your stock pads are in good shape then I would not buy & install S/S's like I did. If your stock pads are worn out, S/S pads are fine as a replacement and may help if you have noticed fade w/ stock pads. If you track your car or have a forced induction G like Duhawks, well... Hopefully he can weigh in on how they do from "real high speed" & hard use.

Performance results are mixed IMO. I had really been hoping they would feel more aggressive/grabby than stock for the street. However, at least for regular braking or the first time you brake very hard, these S/S pads don't seem to grab more than stock at/below 100mph. A Lambo shop owner (and more of a track nut) commented that something had changed in that the car's ABS was responding differently, but he thought the net braking result ended up about the same. Now, how much the (IMO, horrible) stock brake system's feel is masking the pad's performance, or how the pads compare to stock for back-to-back-to-back hard braking efforts, I can't say.

The main area where they may be a win could be how they hold up to repeated braking and/or heat from high speed braking. Duhawks, that could be relevant for you given the speeds you quickly get up to :). I have been to the track once with them but keep in mind I'm a track newb and I was not trying to find the limits on the brakes, so I can only say that brakes weren't an issue.

I guess I would summarize for everyone by saying: for a naturally aspirated G that's a street car, if your stock pads are in good shape then I would not buy & install S/S's like I did. If your stock pads are worn out, S/S pads are fine as a replacement and may help if you have noticed fade w/ stock pads. If you track your car or have a forced induction G like Duhawks, well... Hopefully he can weigh in on how they do from "real high speed" & hard use.

Yeah I had stock rotors but went to a more aggressive pad and I couldn't tell squat around town. Breaking at the drag strip and half mile it felt better though.

I'll be sure to give these a good test over 200+ at the half mile. If I don't stop I go over a cliff. So guess if I write a review they worked and if not then you know they sucked lol

I use the Magic Pads and do not feel a major improvement on the street but I do not have to clean a bunch of dust of my wheels every week. (I do believe these are modified Audi pads). I do not track anymore though. (I do have Girodisc rotors).

Performance results are mixed IMO. I had really been hoping they would feel more aggressive/grabby than stock for the street. However, at least for regular braking or the first time you brake very hard, these S/S pads don't seem to grab more than stock at/below 100mph.

Dumb question but did you bed the brakes?