Am I doing the Vbox 60-130 correctly ?

alpha6164

Just got my Vbox and in preparation of getting custom headers and tune in my LP640 I wanted to get some pre-work numbers for comparison. My LP640 was full tank, 70 deg, seal level yesterday and I started at 40mph in 2nd gear and shifted right at 8k and twice I got 8.8sec. One run I tried to go closer to redline and hit the limited and that resulted 8.9sec run. I didn't have the disk loaded so don't have a file so can't tell you about anything else.

My question is when I start at ~40mph I am at 3500-4000 rpm in 2nd gear so not at peak power/tq and not moving as fast thru 40mph. I was wondering should I be starting in 1st gear rolling and hitting it there so when the Vbox clock starts at 60mph the car is having the maximum forward momentum or it doesn't matter?

I have searched this site, google and I can only find one mention of 60-130 in an LP640 and that is by Kriss and he mentioned his best time was at 7.85sec. That is almost a second faster than what I got. I know my car is very strong cause it just dynoed AWD 540+ whp with torque to match. A full second at a 130mph is several car lengths so was just wanted to make sure I am doing this right.

If anyone has any more 60-130 times on their LP640 please post. Thanks for all inputs.

Heres my post from back when I did the Vbox of my LP640 on May 4th, 2008. As I reread this post, I really dont know what came over me that day. It was like I was writing a novel or something.

"The Saga continues.....

Took the LP out again today, conditons were a bit better at 65 degrees and less humidity. Car had half a tank of gas. After driving around for about 10 minutes to let the car warm up, I decided to start off with a 0-100mph run. Turned the traction control off and sport mode on and floored it. I knew right away after take off that this was not the best launch I have had. To my surprise the Vbox readout said 7.9 sec, same as the first day I ran the car. After looking at the graph I found that it was more accurately a 7.86 seconds. Had a pretty dismal 2.2 60' time on that run, but after seeing a cop patrolling my normal 0-100 area, I decided 1 run was enough and decided to move onto the the highway for some 60-130mph runs.

I entered the interstate to start my trip down south about 10 miles to a more deserted highway, and immediately had cars flooring it to keep up with me and see the car. A couple had their camera phones out. I thought oh boy, it's Sunday morning, and there is not supposed to be this many people on the road. My favorite was the guy who kept up just well enough to stay in my blind spot, never passing and never letting me get away. I was just about to floor it to get away from him, but then I saw the exit sign. No one followed me onto the highway, peace at last.

After traveling to a few more miles, I could see the stretch the road that I did my quarter mile run on, and so I get ready to do a 60-130mph run. No cars around so I drop it down to 2nd and slow down to about 45 mph. I press the gas pedal down hard but smooth and the car comes alive. I try to time the 2nd to 3rd shift perfectly, but I am a slight bit early. No big deal I keep going, and I nail the 3rd to 4th shift right around 124mph. The Vbox alarm sounds at 130mph and I slow down fast. I look up at the Vbox and it shows 8.0 seconds flat. I remember thinking that has to be better than yesterday. I continue on another mile or 2, and there's another flat stretch of highway that I have used before. I go through the same process, and this time I nail the 2nd to 3rd shift perfectly right around 93 mph. I am getting excited now and anticipating the 3rd to 4th shift. Damn, I shifted a bit too early (around 122mph), and I dont even want to look at the Vbox readout. Well I couldnt resist looking, 8.2 seconds. Feeling a little dejected I exited the highway to reenter going the other way so I can head back home. About a mile after entering again, I see a stetch of road I have never done a 60-130mph run on before, and decide to give it one last try. This time I am pumped and ready. I am going to hit both shifts on the money this time. This is my last chance.

The deep growl of the 6.5 L V12 is felt throughout the cabin as I approach 60mph. I am one quarter watching the road, three quarters watching the tach. Right as it shows 7800rpms, I hit the egear lever. The shift is crisp and clean and right around 93 mph, perfect. Car is really moving now, I can hear more wind resistance as I climb over 100mph. I am watching and waiting, everyting is in slow motion. As the needle approaches 7800 rpms again, I snap the egear lever one more time, this time at 124mph. Everything felt right, I decelerate very fast to about 80mph, and earnestly look up at the Vbox. Damn there's a bunch of glare on it, I cant make it out. Off go the sunglasses as I sit up and move my head back and forth trying to read the tiny numbers on the readout. Finally there it is, plain as day, in black and white. 7.8 seconds! I had done it.

As I settled back into the car for the 20 mile trip home, I was thinking, is it a 7.76 or is it a 7.85? Was the slope on that road over the 3% maximum allowed? I would just have to wait until I got home. After reentering the busy interstate, the antics continued. This time there was a motorcyle, 2 cars and an suv surrounding me. I felt a little claustraphobic, but I turned up the radio and waited for my opportunity. Finally an opening with almost no traffic up ahead for a few miles. I gunned it. I smiled as the vehicles that had been pacing me got smaller and smaller in my mirror. At the time I wasnt sure what I speed I had reached, but found out later that it was about 150mph. My exit came up very quickly, and some bad thoughts popped into my head. "I wonder what a power launch would feel like. I wonder what 0-60 time it would produce."

As I got closer to my house and to the road that is about perfectly flat and long enough for a 0-80 run, my confidence grew stronger. I soon found myself stopped in the middle of the street, no cars around, traction control off and sport mode on. It was now or never. I hit the gas pedal hard. The engine, exhaust, and transmission sang in unison as the tach reved up to 4000 rpms. BAM! the clutch dropped and the tires began spinning. The beast that had always been so civilized and in control was dancing a jig. I stayed on the pedal and the car hooked up and went straight. Exactly like in the videos posted by Lambornima. I didnt hit the 1st to 2nd gear perfectly, but it was good enough. 80mph came up really fast, and I slammed on the brakes. No glare on the vbox this time. I immediately saw 3.2 seconds on the display, and scrolled through to the 10mph increment page. As I turned down the road for my house, I thought, "WOW, this car is awesome, power launches rule!" I parked the car and took some pictures of the Vbox readouts. I hate this part, because it seems nearly impossible to get a good clean picture. I took several pictures of each screen. There was no clutch smell, and barely any rubber burning smell as I headed inside to look at the graphs

First thing I looked at was the 60-130mph runs. I had to know what that 7.8 was. The suspense was killing me. I was a little annoyed when I saw it was 7.85 seconds on a 1.9% decline, but I remembered that Scott, moderator at 6speed, had run a 7.86 in his stock Z 0 6 at sea level. We previously had a little rivalry going on there with his Z 0 6 and my Renntech SL65. I took a look at the 0-60mph power launch run and it was actually very slightly uphill with a peak long acceleration of 1.141 G around 51 mph. All in all I am pretty satisfied with the performance of the LP640. It may not be the fastest car around, but it is the best looking car around and a joy to drive. This car does not feel fast, feels much slower than my SL65 (which it isnt), but it is deceivingly fast. The jury is still out on how much faster a stock SLR would be from a rolll against the LP, but with a power launch from 0-80mph (at least), the stock SLR has zero chance.

Here are some key numbers:

60-130mph 7.85 seconds.

0-100mph 7.86 seconds.

Date 04/05/2008

Accel results

Speed(mph) Time(s)

0-60 03.2

0-100 ----

Accel Distance results

Distance() Time(s) @Speed(mph)

0-60' 01.8 37.6

0-330' 04.9 78.9

Best results

Date 04/05/2008

Speed(mph) Time(s)

0-60 03.2

0-100 07.9

30-50 01.0

60-130 07.8

0-10 mph 0.3 seconds

0-20 mph 0.8 seconds

0-30 mph 1.3 seconds

0-40 mph 2.0 seconds

0-50 mph 2.6 seconds

0-60 mph 3.2 seconds

0-70 mph 4.2 seconds

0-80 mph 5.0 seconds

Some pics of the 60-130mph graph and vbox readouts."

post-6539-1398005571_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1398005578_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1398005584_thumb.jpg

^^^thank you. It seems like there is def some wiggle room depending on how it is driven. I just read one of your posts where you started from 0mph and the 60-130 came to 8.86 or something. Anyways will try a few more times with different variations to see what I get.

130mph is 58 meters per second so if car X is 1.0 sec faster than car Y at 130mph does that mean that if they both raced doing a 60-130 that car X would be ~15 car lengths ahead? It seems a lot.

I vboxd an all stock LP640 here in Manila and it came out to 8.8sec. US times are usually just a bit faster than that based from all the other cars we test - conditions and fuel issue.

I vboxd an all stock LP640 here in Manila and it came out to 8.8sec. US times are usually just a bit faster than that based from all the other cars we test - conditions and fuel issue.

Thanks for input. At least I know I am in the ball park. I found another post of an LP640 that said 8.91sec in the Vbox thread.