Things to do in LA/So Cal

Rouleur

So, we are going out to Cali for a couple days to take a break, get away from the kids and relax. We are visiting some great friends in Thousand Oaks Friday and Saturday. We are flying into LAX tomorrow night and I was looking for some suggestions on where to stay. We get in around 8:30 and wouldn't mind staying somewhere that, when we wake up in the morning, we can make it down to the beach and walk around a bit, maybe grab some coffee on the way? I am thinking Santa Monica, but not 100% sure.

We will be driving up the coast to San Fran on Saturday afternoon and staying the night there on Sunday and leaving Monday morning. Suggestions there too.

We aren't huge into sight seeing, but I would like for her to see the better parts of the place. I would love to ideally either spend more time out there or ultimately move out there some day. I will have my bike with me and plan on zig zagging all over the canyon roads in hopes of stuffing Allan while he is "canyon carving" with his buddy with the Lotus. I just would like my wife to see some cool stuff while we are there, find a couple nice places to stay that are cool.

dont have any recommendations on hotels in samo but im sure theres a few nice ones in the area... but if youll be there check out 3rd street promenade which also has a mall, maybe rent 2 beach cruisers and ride the path which runs along the ocean you can go from santa monica to venice and back. theres a hotel called shutters on the beach and on the first floor theres a resturant called coast which is pretty good. you mention bringing your bike - cycling along PCH is nice, you can get on PCH from santa monica and cycle to malibu then when you turn around youll be riding south which is ideal since the ocean would be to your right. theres actually a hole in the wall resturant on PCH called malibu seafood which may be worthwhile to check out

Staying in SF, Fairmont all the way.

I'm a sight-seer, don't have too much to recommend, but I can only recommend driving highway 1 all the way. The best drive you will ever take, it will make you believe in a God (if you don't already).

Stop in Big Sur, check out the pfeiffer state park waterfall trail, grab some lunch at Nepenthe (for the view, not the food), check out Monterey and maybe do some Kayaking. Stop by the monterey plaza hotel, chill by the fire, watch the sunset, then head to SF (2 hour drive from Monterey).

dont have any recommendations on hotels in samo but im sure theres a few nice ones in the area... but if youll be there check out 3rd street promenade which also has a mall, maybe rent 2 beach cruisers and ride the path which runs along the ocean you can go from santa monica to venice and back. theres a hotel called shutters on the beach and on the first floor theres a resturant called coast which is pretty good. you mention bringing your bike - cycling along PCH is nice, you can get on PCH from santa monica and cycle to malibu then when you turn around youll be riding south which is ideal since the ocean would be to your right. theres actually a hole in the wall resturant on PCH called malibu seafood which may be worthwhile to check out

Yeah, I have been out before and plan on riding most of the canyons and Mulholland and Rock Store etc... Will make my way out through Simi Valley and pop out on PCH to come back. Trying to latch on to a group ride now. I would love to do the beach cruiser thing, but ironically my wife hates riding a bike. The trip is more about her decompressing than me, she needs a break from the kids.

Staying in SF, Fairmont all the way.

I'm a sight-seer, don't have too much to recommend, but I can only recommend driving highway 1 all the way. The best drive you will ever take, it will make you believe in a God (if you don't already).

Stop in Big Sur, check out the pfeiffer state park waterfall trail, grab some lunch at Nepenthe (for the view, not the food), check out Monterey and maybe do some Kayaking. Stop by the monterey plaza hotel, chill by the fire, watch the sunset, then head to SF (2 hour drive from Monterey).

I will check out the Fairmont in a minute, that is a recommendation I was looking for. As for the drive up, I have done the PCH a couple times, but by myself in a Lamborghini, it is going to be fun to do it in a convertible with the wife and her getting to see the natural beauty out there. I fell in love with the place the first time I visited, kinda excited to show it to her. Was thinking of trying to grab the Hurst Castle on the way, drive up the Naciamento Hwy Road and then come back down, drive into Big Sur and maybe grab something to eat in Pebble at the Lodge.

Lowes Santa Monica is a pretty great spot for what you described.

That sounds like a great spot, was trying to stay inside a Hilton property as I have points I can use. If there was a big delta in the room and the view from it, I would certainly make the leap over, but we are going to get into LAX at 8 pm, so we won't get to enjoy it that much.