Spoiler stuck up !

deekss

Mates

Had the rear deck off to fix an exhaust problem. When I replaced it, I didn't push one of the connectors fully home. I remember getting distracted at the time.... Anyways.... I hit 70 MPH, spoiler comes up, when I decelerate, spoiler waning lamp comes on. When I finally stop, one motor is trying to pull spoiler down, other is not moving. The motor that is trying keeps cycling. I switch off isolator, plug in other motor fully, but the thing is stuck up, neither motor does anything. On 70MPH, I get the warning lamp on, but no movement. I've checked all fuses, both plugs are fully home, no bent, misaligned or broken pins.

Is this a reset from Lara ? Can I manually drop it down, i.e. remove actuator from deck, apply 12 V, rinse repeat for other side etc...

Anyone had this, any general advice ? On the bright side (literally) I have been able to clean the bottom of the spoiler and the chamber it sits in on the deck !

Mates

Had the rear deck off to fix an exhaust problem. When I replaced it, I didn't push one of the connectors fully home. I remember getting distracted at the time.... Anyways.... I hit 70 MPH, spoiler comes up, when I decelerate, spoiler waning lamp comes on. When I finally stop, one motor is trying to pull spoiler down, other is not moving. The motor that is trying keeps cycling. I switch off isolator, plug in other motor fully, but the thing is stuck up, neither motor does anything. On 70MPH, I get the warning lamp on, but no movement. I've checked all fuses, both plugs are fully home, no bent, misaligned or broken pins.

Is this a reset from Lara ? Can I manually drop it down, i.e. remove actuator from deck, apply 12 V, rinse repeat for other side etc...

Anyone had this, any general advice ? On the bright side (literally) I have been able to clean the bottom of the spoiler and the chamber it sits in on the deck !

1. Unmount the suspect misbehaving motor from the deck but not the spoiler and let it sit dangling on the exhaust shield

2. With both motors connected... turn on ACC on the car and let the motors cycle... once they have been cycled and the spoiler is now in a closed position. The CPU now thinks both motors are in a closed state.

3. Remove the rear deck and turn the motor clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust it to the appropriate length (you want spoiler is in a closed position)

5. Reattach motor to rear deck

6. Turn on ACC. Spoiler should not move.

7. Go for a drive... hit 70MPH... see if it goes up.

8. Slow down to 55mph... see if it goes down.

There are many little steps in between... but this is the meat of the solution.

1. Unmount the suspect misbehaving motor from the deck but not the spoiler and let it sit dangling on the exhaust shield

2. With both motors connected... turn on ACC on the car and let the motors cycle... once they have been cycled and the spoiler is now in a closed position. The CPU now thinks both motors are in a closed state.

3. Remove the rear deck and turn the motor clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust it to the appropriate length (you want spoiler is in a closed position)

This is why LP is awesome. Hopefully you get it working Deeks.

First try a reset.

Start with key off.

Hold the button that raises the side scoops down.

Keep holding the button down and turn the key on so all the dash lights come on keep the button down the side scoops and the wing will open some then go back down. Keep holding the button down until all are all the way down then release button. Repeat if ness.

If doing a reset with lap top it would be done with LDAS not LARA. LARA dose very little for Murci. LARA dose the Egear interface xairbag for roadsters.

Great fellas ! Thanks for your replies. My first job this morning. Screw work today. This is far more important.

No joy. Batwing motors cycled, but spoiler didn't move. Back off with the deck again for a closer look I think....

No joy. Batwing motors cycled, but spoiler didn't move. Back off with the deck again for a closer look I think....

Correct... that reset method only resets the batwings. You'll have to follow my procedure.

Correct... that reset method only resets the batwings. You'll have to follow my procedure.

I tried that too. Neither actuator does anything when I just turn the ignition to ACC. Is there anything I'm missing ?

When it first happened, the still connected actuator kept trying to lower the spoiler, I'd see it twist a little, then stop, then try again. Since I hit the isolator and re-plugged the other actuator, neither actuator does anything. As above, fuses etc all OK, actuator plugs all OK, fully home, all pins present and correct.

Many thank for your replies to date. This is a frustrating issue....

I tried that too. Neither actuator does anything when I just turn the ignition to ACC. Is there anything I'm missing ?

When it first happened, the still connected actuator kept trying to lower the spoiler, I'd see it twist a little, then stop, then try again. Since I hit the isolator and re-plugged the other actuator, neither actuator does anything. As above, fuses etc all OK, actuator plugs all OK, fully home, all pins present and correct.

Many thank for your replies to date. This is a frustrating issue....

If you turn on ACC and the wing does nothing... and the warning light is off but the wing is up... the CPU thinks the wing is already down. Adjust the motors manually (by turning them) to make the wing close.

If you turn on ACC and the wing does nothing... and there is a warning light and the wing is up... you'll have to trick the CPU into cycling the wing. Can try going for a drive make the wing cycle or disconnect the motors and turn on ACC. Goal is to get that light off. I've had this EXACT problem. Your wing will eventually attempt to cycle again... usually after a drive.

If none of that works you need LDAS which is a huge pain in the ass.

Seeing how your motor is not broken and if a dealer is near you.... easiest would be to have LDAS cycle the wing. That will fix it.

Righty, just done this. Took deck off, removed heatshields, and swivel bolts that hold the motors on, rotated motors to close spoiler, re-assemble. Just making nice cup of tea. Not allowed out tonight, as children in bed, just, and it wakes the neighbourhood on start up. fingers crossed for test in the morning.

It would be interesting to know how the limit switches or position sensors work. I'd assumed it would be more complicated with some linear absolute position sensors. But then I remembered it's ten year old plus technology... Must just have some optical sensor or similar that counts rotations as the thing operates, or some simple overcurrent sense as it gets to end of stroke...

Righty, just done this. Took deck off, removed heatshields, and swivel bolts that hold the motors on, rotated motors to close spoiler, re-assemble. Just making nice cup of tea. Not allowed out tonight, as children in bed, just, and it wakes the neighbourhood on start up. fingers crossed for test in the morning.

It would be interesting to know how the limit switches or position sensors work. I'd assumed it would be more complicated with some linear absolute position sensors. But then I remembered it's ten year old plus technology... Must just have some optical sensor or similar that counts rotations as the thing operates, or some simple overcurrent sense as it gets to end of stroke...

You are giving the Italians way too much credit. Motors with speed sensors. Then speed sensors detects no speed... CPU goes... ok time to cut power and the wing is now in up/down position.

Yes... thats what you get on a 300k super car.

You are giving the Italians way too much credit. Motors with speed sensors. Then speed sensors detects no speed... CPU goes... ok time to cut power and the wing is now in up/down position.

:icon_mrgreen:

This week for crises .. will I ever drive this thing again....

Boom ! Fixed. Did exactly as above. Drove out for Kebob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab). Spoiler goes up, spoiler goes down.

New anti roll bar bushes fixed the rear end knock too.

Battery is on way out, and RHS fan not kicking in, leading to getting hot and bat wings up... The next jobs..

This reset method dose radiator scoops and rear wing. I even tested it on 2 different cars even after using it many times before.

Boom ! Fixed. Did exactly as above. Drove out for Kebob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab). Spoiler goes up, spoiler goes down.

New anti roll bar bushes fixed the rear end knock too.

Battery is on way out, and RHS fan not kicking in, leading to getting hot and bat wings up... The next jobs..

Forgot to say many thanks to Jeff & PoKnow for their advice and contributions to the thread. Virtual beer to you both, unless you're in London at Christmas (See Euro section), and I'll get you a real one !