Home Audio - Please take me to school...

Dr. Noisewater

I just got my plans back from my architect for a new home I am getting ready to build over in Miami Beach. The wife and I are really excited and while its not a "Fortis Fortress lol" its going to be great for my family.

I thought I would check to see what you guys might recommend for Home Automation Systems. Whole house audio and lighting get real involved real fast from what I can determine. Short of bringing in the Automation companies, I wanted to install something I can tinker with and expand upon.

Goals -

Touch screens

Spotify or Pandora.

Dimmer controls

Alarm interface etc.

Anyone used any of these systems?

Vivant: http://www.vivint.com/en

Vera: http://getvera.com

Z-Wave: http://www.z-wave.com/

I did Control 4. For the money, I wish I had gone with Savant. Control 4 will under price Savant on basic builds but once you go overboard on C4 the price is comparable. Two advantages to Savant are overall speed and faster HDMI switching; much less remote control lag.

Get multiple bids, all these guys will price you out for free. They make cash on product markup and install.

Make sure you understand if they are install-and-bail or install-till-satisfied on your pricing. You don't want to pay $200 an hour every time they roll a truck to your house to do basic programming they didn't finish earlier or to troubleshoot.

I did Control 4. For the money, I wish I had gone with Savant. Control 4 will under price Savant on basic builds but once you go overboard on C4 the price is comparable. Two advantages to Savant are overall speed and faster HDMI switching; much less remote control lag.

Get multiple bids, all these guys will price you out for free. They make cash on product markup and install.

Make sure you understand if they are install-and-bail or install-till-satisfied on your pricing. You don't want to pay $200 an hour every time they roll a truck to your house to do basic programming they didn't finish earlier or to troubleshoot.

:iamwithstupid: that's exactly why I went with savant! I also had them throw in a 2 year warranty bumper to bumper! TG I haven't had 1 issue.

I plan on getting some layouts with quotes. I am reading good things about Savant as well.

We dont like "lag" in anything we do!

Do some checking into whether the system you go with has good drivers for your chosen cable/satellite provider and other equipment you'll want to integrate. Xfinity X1, for instance, does not play well with Control 4. And C4 doesn't yet have drivers for Hayward pool equipment.