Beware, TT Lamborghini's of the Dallas TX area next weekend.

Underground Racing

Guest 300MPH
Here are the completed pictures of John Doe III Underground Racing TT R8. Huge thanks to John for choosing Underground Racing to build this beast. Looking like it will make it to the Texas Invitational's this weekend. This car should do will vs the TT Gallardos. After that it will head home to Houston Texas where I'm sure we will see some videos of it on the street. More info on this car coming soon. 1_TT_AudiR8_05_zps2ea6e60c.jpg

Kevin, Just curious why you put the cold air pipes right on top of the hot exhaust pipes? When the heat rises, those cold pipes will heat soak like crazy. The O-rings on the BOVs and the silicone couplers on the intercooler inlets will not last any appreciable length of time if someone really drives it a lot.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin, Just curious why you put the cold air pipes right on top of the hot exhaust pipes? When the heat rises, those cold pipes will heat soak like crazy. The O-rings on the BOVs and the silicone couplers on the intercooler inlets will not last any appreciable length of time if someone really drives it a lot.

Couple of observations on how this occurs to me:

1. The air in the cold side plumbing off the turbo is not in that chamber anywhere near long enough for the temp. of the plumbing itself to raise it much. On top of that, the airflow moving through the plumbing is going to be cooler than the plumbing, agreed? Thermodynamics dictate that then aids in cooling those pipes back down, it's why we blow on our food. Finally the air is moving at a decent velocity through that plumbing, it's not there long enough to be heated much from any heat soaking that may occur. The entire plumbing assembly gets ambient airflow all around it too.

2. Even though it's the cold side plumbing, that air is straight out of the turbo, which is spooled by exhaust gas, the whole assembly is hot. Have you ever touched the outlet side of the turbo after a car has been running? It's not too cold, I wouldn't advise it.

3. The plumbing in question is pre-intercooled, so that warmer air isn't the air the motor sees.

5. If we are concerned with heat on those parts, I'd be more concerned about the diaphragm's in the BOV's than the O-rings, which are completely sealed (as o-rings should be), that being said the ambient airflow over the system is going to keep things in tact. I don't think any R8 customers have had issues with couplers melting/failing to date due to heat?

The simple answer to your question is probably just packaging, that's why it's like that. This is all just how this all occurs to me, feel free to throw it out.

There is heat sheilding and plenty more protection that goes in that area before the bumper goes on. Besides that, I dont think our R8's suffer from any power loss, do you? lmao.

All this HP is causing me to loose sleep. Guess I am going to have to send my car back for an R build. When I had my build done in 2011, I was looking at the competition in my rear view mirror. I now hate taillights!!!!

Darn you Kevin....lol. Coming your way this winter.

People that are concerned with heat soak just don't have enough power. If I lose a few ponies who gives a shit. I will have more than any other person I'm racing.