surface pro 3

jtrump

Searched and didn't find anything.

Would be used in the field. Need something simple with 256gb capacity and ability to run Vmware with win xp. Seems that the surface pro 3 and Yoga3 are my options.

Looking for real world feedback and any advice

A few people I know have the old Yoga 2 Pros and love them. I think that if the Surface Pro 3 has enough power for what you need, you should maybe look into getting an older Yoga 2 Pro on clearance as they have the same processor.

The Yoga 3 Pro has the new Core M processors from Intel, but I haven't really read much about them yet, so I don't know if they are that much of an upgrade over the Core I5/I7 architecture. Not sure if this is much of an issue for you, but the hinge on the Yoga 3 looks TERRIBLE too in my opinion.

I've used an SP3 as my laptop replacement since it was released and love it... There is more than enough horsepower for any productivity app that I run (e-mail, web, word, presenations, etc) and I find the keyboard is fine for 90% of my needs as well. I rarely use it as a tablet so I can't comment on that, but its portability is nearly impossible to beat. It easily slips into my leather folio that holds my notepad and pen so it goes nearly everywhere with me. Being able to sign PDF's without having to print them out is a big plus too.