Murci pricing - What should i look for ?

Powerr95

I have seen pricing under 160k for some

Just looking for advice on what to look for it a car under 160k

From a maintenance and upgrades standpoint and which years to stay away from

Thanks in advance

I have seen pricing under 160k for some

Just looking for advice on what to look for it a car under 160k

From a maintenance and upgrades standpoint and which years to stay away from

Thanks in advance

Well, first one needs to decide whether they want a regular Murci or a LP640. Manual LP640s will be out of your price range.

Well, first one needs to decide whether they want a regular Murci or a LP640. Manual LP640s will be out of your price range.

Thanks And sorry for the ignorance

Other than the hp and transmission

Are there aesthetic differences?

I am not sure if it will help you at all or not, but on LamboTalk a gentlemen was asking similar questions so I did a quick write up for him. His were more specific, but hopefully this could help you a bit. His questions are at the top and my answers are in order at the bottom:

While I appreciate the info on the cost of purchasing the car.. i am more interested in the questions below.. any help is greatly appreciated..

What are the different types of models of Murcielago?

What are the advantages of the different models?

What questions should I be asking to the owner/dealer who is selling the car I am interested in?

Any major features that I should make sure I have included in the one I purchase? AWD?

How difficult is it to find a 6 spd in 07-08 model?

What is the maintenance like for this car? i need to understand what surprises could cost me if the car has any issues...

New clutch cost? how frequently will I need this?

Brakes? oil change? any other normal maintenance you can think of.. average costs?

Washing the car... I would like to hand wash it.. what materials are best to clean it properly without damaging the car?

Any other information you think will be useful to help avoid any unwanted surprises

I am just going to go down the list:

1. 2002 (few built in 01)-2007 is the 6.2 Murcielago. In 2005 the Roadster was unveiled. In 2007 (some late 2006) the 640s came to market with the HP increase from 575 to 640 and a much better E-gear system. All 2002s and 2003s are manual. After E-gear became an option in 2004 most (I would guess 95%) were all ordered with the E-gear. Around 3,000 coupes were build and 899 roadsters. The 640s were both roadster and coupe. The SV was limited production with (350 built??) and I have no idea on the Versace Edition.

2. The advantages of different models is really subjective. The roadster doesn't lose any notable performance and are just as rigid as the coupe due to the engine brace. The "disadvantage" of the roadster is the roof. It sucks. There is no other way to put it. It is hard to put up and makes parking the car anywhere an ordeal. If I am not mistaken (correct me if I am wrong) the roadster is lower than the coupe. You get the obvious advantage of the drop top experience in a V-12. The coupe is considered to be more of the enthusiast's car. It has a different look. You don't have to worry about parking as much, no roof to deal with, less expensive and more selection. The SV is the ultimate, but you will pay for it.

3. The questions really depend on the car itself and what you want out of the car. Clutch is always one of my first (I am in the manual market so it is a matter of how old/new the clutch is). On the E-gear, you can ask for the clutch snap and see the amount of life the clutch has left. Tires (not a huge deal, but a new set of 4 is $$$). Service records, in my opinion, are a must. Know the history of the car, otherwise you can end up with lots of expensive service bills. # of owners is a good one to know. I prefer an OEM car, so I always ask about the mods. I stay away from subs and crazy sound systems as a rule (I know some don't care, but a preference of mine). Head unit swaps aren't a big deal, OEM ones are cheap to find. Accidents (I don't feel I have to explain that). Paint work is generally a negative aside from light touch ups. Clear bra is also something that is a plus. If the car has an aftermarket exhaust make sure it doesn't throw codes. I will edit in any more that I can think of. Make sure any recalls are done, the bat wings work and the front lifter doesn't have any problems. I am sure I am missing a ton, but other than that, the same questions you would ask on any other car.

4. Different options are added bonuses. All the cars have AWD, unless they have had a RWD conversion. The RWD conversion isn't a big deal as it can be easily converted back, just make sure you have the parts. I am a three pedal guy, so I look for a clutch pedal and not E-gear. The carbon ceramic brakes can be a pro and a con. I have no idea if most of the 640s were equipped with them or not, but they were quite a pricey option. I don't like them because of how much they are to replace when the time comes. On the 640s the "Q" stitching (I don't want to attempt to spell out the name) is a great option (Diamond stitching). I have never seen a 6.2 with the stitching like that as I don't believe it was an option. There are various rim options too.

5. Finding a 6-speed manual on the 640s is pretty darn hard to put it optimistically. There are very few and the ones that are on the market cost notably more than the E-gear cars and what you are looking to spend. Especially if they are a rare color.

6. The cost of the car can be anything from nothing aside from fluids, to $30,000.00 bills. The most "common" expensive bill I hear about it the E-gear actuator. The cars are know to be pretty bullet proof. A very good local shop owner/mechanic (ForzaTuning great shop) told me that the Murcielago is close to as reliable as the Gallardo, just more expensive to fix when it breaks. I would make sure you have a spare $10,000.00 put aside at all times for anything crazy.

7. Clutch on the manual ranges between $5,000.00-$10,000.00 from my experience. That is everything included. I would also address the flywheel while you have everything apart. The clutch is an engine out service. On the E-gear I would imagine it is similar in price. The amount of miles that the clutch is good for is largely dependent on who owned it before (how it was driven) and how you are as a driver. Some guys get 40,000 miles on a clutch and others get 15,000. The manual clutches tend to last longer than the E-gear ones.

8. Oil change is nothing crazy, especially if you can do your own. Fluids aren't bad either (it is nice to have a lift). Brakes I am not sure about. I am sure someone on here has done a DIY on the brakes. I will reiterate stay away from the carbon ceramics unless you are hell bent on them. They are really expensive to replace.

9. Washing the car is personal preference. I don't want to say anything and then you get scratches on the car. I have specific scrubbers for the Lambo. I use two buckets when I wash. Make sure the buckets are completely clean before you use them. One is filled with soapy water and the other clean water. When you go to put more soap, make sure you rinse and ring out the towel three times in the clean water bucket before going back to the soap one. I throughly rinse the car before applying any soap. When you are scrubbing the car DON'T go in circles. Straight lines in the direction of the car. Go from the top to bottom so that all the crud isn't going over what you just cleaned. When it comes to drying, follow the same pattern as you did scrubbing. I have separate microfiber towels for the Lambo as well. I don't take any chances.

10. I hope I have covered a little and helped you out a bit. I will try to think of anything else.

Let me know if I have said something wrong, I love to learn from everyone on here!

I don't think there is much else to say, he "generalized" as well as can be. There will always be exceptions. The murcielago is a car at the end of the day just like any other so most general car buying tips apply. Best is to find a car that a person owned who drove it regularly and maintained. Lots of super cars get bought driven for a year to show off then passed off. Super low miles can mean seal leaks since they will dry out. LP640 is a better car all around, components are beefed up significantly. Roadster roof does suck for parking security.. but then again I wouldn't park a coupe where I wouldn't park my roadster... would suck just as much to get a coupe keyed or vandalized. I wouldn't trade my roadster for anything... the sound of the Bizzarini V12 churning behind me, 10000 miles of head room.... anyways.... find what you like, have it inspected by a competent LAMBORGHINI shop... not Audi, BMW etc.. Lamborghini. Only they will have the right tools and know how to do a proper PPI. Always remember.... its a 350k+ car and the maintenance and parts will reflect this. Engine comes out for most work. 10K is a conservative number. The clutch alone is 3500 plus 40 hours labour.. if anything else needs to be replaced.. add that on.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this

It helps a lot

I look forward to hearing from others on this issue too

No problem man!