Is the dream possible??

Deltathree21

Man, I miss the days of operating heavy equipment!

I've never operated anything bigger than a Bobcat but I have to imagine it would be fun!

It's a legitimate question, posed in an articulate manner. It deserves a respectful response.

Play nice. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd say this, but LVerik's response is the one I'd expect from all of you.

We're not a corvette or mustang forum.

Thanks guys.

To all the Lamborghini owners living the dream, what is estimate cost of ownership for a new Lamborghini??

I read from difference sources that you need to make 300k+ to be able to afford it, is it true or are they just exaggerating? I just assume if you make 300k and still say you need more its because you spend your money on big houses, parties etc etc.

Assuming car is paid in full, only costs would be maintenance, petrol, insurance. If you were to live a simple life like live in a bungalow you like, eat like a normal person and not do all the extravagant things that "rich" people do isn't it possible to live the dream as well?

Thank you for your input.

I'll give you a perhaps slightly different perspective, I may not be exactly your 'target audience' for the question, as I don't own a Lambo. I do want to. I will one day. I could theoretically buy one now, but it would be a really bad idea, as much as I'd love to.

A big thing that others have mentioned is priority. And what you think your priorities are, are likely to differ over the years. When I was 19 I thought getting a Lambo would be one of my big priorities once I had a decent income. Tell you what, it hasn't ended up the case. Other things, like housing, day to day costs, family take priority. For me, at least, it stopped being "How much income do I need to generate to buy a Lambo?" and became "How much extra income do I need to generate, on top of my 'normal' lifestyle expenses, to buy a Lambo, without it impacting or risking my higher-priority objectives?"

I haven't actually got my answer to that one yet. I keep setting targets, and when I get to them, I find that our expenses in other areas have crept up - we're buying nicer food or better clothes, for example. I sure as heck am not going to turn round and make my son eat scraps for lunch at school so I can scrim and scrape the money aside to squeeze in a toy, no matter how long I've wanted one. The value of vehicle I buy, as a ratio of my income, has dropped significantly over the years. When I was about 18 or 19, I had no problem buying a $30k car with a $30k income. Doesn't mean I have a $150k or even $50k car now.

That said, I suppose if you genuinely just have owning the car as your priority, and don't care about much else, you could do it on quite a bit less than 300k, but I really think it would be a bad idea for most people. 10 years ago I'd have thought it was a grand plan.