DIY Smoked side markers

Kevin M.

OK whole job should take about an hour after these steps. Of course the first side took me an hour!

Front, raise the car up and turn the wheel outward which I found was easier.

Remove this plastic piece which has 3 torx screws.

23230124523_dcda5ff253_c.jpg

Then remove the other torx screws and the 10MM bolt to loosen up the liner.

Once loose you need to pry it out from the bumper so it looks like this.

23774448191_1d8bd10001_c.jpg

You now have access to the back of the marker from the open hole. The reason for prying out the liner is because it us up against the one side of the marker and is in the way.

Examine the new markers and you can see how the metal plate moves inward which allows you to remove it from the bumper.

Now reach in and squeeze the metal part inward and then push the marker in and it will release from the bumper. You can now pull it out from the opening. Twist and remove the bulb housing.

23856959095_155df75a0f_o.jpg

Now pay attention to the marker you just removed there is a left and right, the Teconcraft is actually upside down so look at the angle of the markers and match them up.

Now you need to file down the end that has the metal clip, as match it up as close to you can as the OEM part. The plastic is soft so it doesn't take much to form it.

The left one is after it's been filed down.

23228798124_6123c02a05_o.jpg

Now bend the end of the metal clip a tad to match the OEM, this helps it go in to the groove.

23228826244_c49350a5aa_o.jpg

Now you're ready to install the new one, I chose to leave the bulbs white as I prefer that look instead of orange bulbs.

Angle it in and start with the end towards the front of the car first, once that is in pull the metal plate back to the clip snaps in on the other side.

Reassemble and you're done with one side, repeat steps for other side.

Before

23856943515_20f0d3577c_o.jpg

After

23856988245_fbd32e263b_o.jpg

23228870794_a6b41d28fd_o.jpg

Now for the rear.. which is very simple..

Remove the rear grill, there are 4 screws total in the corners.

23489074639_9298fb9afa_o.jpg

Now you need to do the same method as the fronts, file down and slightly bend metal tab back.

23489069309_7c44ea0f94_o.jpg

Nothing else to the rears once that is all done, repeat on the other side.

Before

23774479171_1531031f47_o.jpg

After

23748626362_833eea2573_o.jpg

I also left these lights white..

23830916726_6eca2fc1d5_o.jpg

Beware this will give you at least a 10HP gain :D

looks great. and thanks for the DIY tips! are the bulbs behind the OEM makers white? i think i might run amber/red ones just so i don't have any issues with cops.

You're welcome guys, yes they are all white.

good news. found AMBER bulbs.... BAD NEWS.... Tecnocraft sent me 2 of the same PAIR on one side. so 3 of them went in, but one of the passenger markers won't work cause they're made for the driver side.... so looks like a couple day delay for them to hopefully send me a new one.

You had non OEM taillights? What taillights did you have?

Sorry, I should reword. They were the OEM ones "smoked" black and I reversed the process back to red, as well as the front and rear side markers

good write up, looks good but am I the only one who like the OEM more? I switched the markers and taillights Back to oem on my SV :eusa_think:

Thanks, it's just a matter of taste and contrast, orange isn't in my palette :icon_thumleft:

Here is a better pic in some light..

23617163550_e1bb7f2b4f_b.jpg

Thanks, it's just a matter of taste and contrast, orange isn't in my palette :icon_thumleft:

Here is a better pic in some light..

23617163550_e1bb7f2b4f_b.jpg

This looks much much better than the orange/red markers for sure :icon_super: