Door strut replacement question

kidzvillage

Hello all,

I would like to ask for a bit of advice, if anybody could kindly give me some directions on how to remove the door handle, (it seems stuck, and I don't want to bend or brake anything) and the rest of the trim to reach the door strut, I bought strut replacements and I am trying to install them by myself, I read somewhere that it would be a good idea to tie the door somewhere above to keep it from falling during the replacement, any other comments suggestions? thank you very much!

post-9089-1454301899_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1454301913_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1454301921_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1454301934_thumb.jpg

Hi They always have a small metal clip to attach the handle, this can be removed with a special metal tool, or if you don't have one a small piece if cheese cloth or muslin wrapped around behind the handle and gently rotated and tugged on will usually remove the clip

As already mention there is a clip similar to the ones shown below.

Some of the photos depict a universal tool that can be purchased at most automotive supply stores to aid in the remove.

I however just clip and bend a white coat hanger and use it to hook the backside of the clip to disengage it. Best of luck Vic

window_crank.jpg

IMG_1929.JPG

sucp_0803_09_z_aftermarket_specialty_tools_window_crank_handle.jpg

I used a ratchet strap to secure the door to the garage door rail. I advise the same. AND NOT BY THE WINDOW FRAME.

I had the door tied up while I changed the strut. After I finished, I took the rope off and started putting the door panel back on.

I heard a small "tink" sound. About the time I realized it was the little circlip that held the door strut in place, the strut popped off and down it came.

I'm pretty confident the rubber weather seal saved my fingers! If there would have been no weather stripping, I think the door would have cut right through the fingers!

I remember there was a lot of blood! First thing I did was wiggle my fingers and was shocked they weren't broke!

I wrapped my hand in a towel and drove myself to the ER.

The lesson learned? Never reuse a circlip! Use a new one! LOL!!

Mike

I had the door tied up while I changed the strut. After I finished, I took the rope off and started putting the door panel back on.

I heard a small "tink" sound. About the time I realized it was the little circlip that held the door strut in place, the strut popped off and down it came.

I'm pretty confident the rubber weather seal saved my fingers! If there would have been no weather stripping, I think the door would have cut right through the fingers!

I remember there was a lot of blood! First thing I did was wiggle my fingers and was shocked they weren't broke!

I wrapped my hand in a towel and drove myself to the ER.

The lesson learned? Never reuse a circlip! Use a new one! LOL!!

Mike

Oh wow! i am speechless!