Check engine light

JanDaMan

Yeah, it's not your exhaust gasket. You won't get a code if that gasket fails.

It's probably your gas cap. Take it off, pull out the rubber insert and clean it well, then put on some lube and tighten down well. Then clear the codes and see if it comes back. If it does, you have a leak somewhere else in the gas tank venting system, not the exhaust system.

+1 Those gaskets typically look like that on the outside but aren't leaking. No 02 sensor after them so don't bother with it unless you hear a leak when it is running.

• 2 weeks later...

After two drive cycles the same check engine light came on the dash. I didn't even hook up the scan coder as I figure it is just the same issue reappearing. Any ideas of anything I can look at visually to see if something may have come loose somewhere? I took a quick look but didn't see anything obvious, but if there was something specific to emissions maybe I could hone in there. I just received the two exhaust donuts noted above but have not put those in yet. But it seems the suggestions are that those would not make any difference anyway. I do notice quite an exhaust smell when idling to warm up, but it could be that I am now just paying more attention and therefore smell it just because of that.

I am thinking something may be loose because in my two years of driving it I never got those dash lights before in all my driving (in other words I don't think it is from the fact of just having an aftermarket exhaust).

Just to update my comment about the long wait on parts for this exhaust (gaskets), Capristo was able to send me the 2 gaskets.They said the max for obtaining gaskets would be 10 days and not 3 months. So, maybe it depends on who you talk to for parts. Anyway, taking the car in next week for the check engine light and have them also look at the gaskets and to replace them if it looks like they need it.

• 3 weeks later...