Ryan Shankar / Shank - I want my money back.

FormulaGT

THIS IS A LONG READ, BUT WELL WORTH IT.

I was debating on whether to post this or not, but figured for the sake of anyone else looking to purchase items in the future, maybe this could help them avoid problems.

Most of you know who Shank/Ryan Shankar - former owner of 6speed is. He's had some of the fattest cars known to man, LP640/SL55 on LM's/Vipers/Gallardos/996TT's/997TT's you name it. Anyways, he posted up a set of Lamborghini Gallardo "Callisto" OEM wheel/tiresets for sale a few months ago. Seeing as how this guy takes care of his vehicles and his solid rep, I figured this would be a quick and easy transaction.

The classified thread can be found below:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41063

The basic post says:

I have a set of Gallardo Callisto Wheels and Tires w/approx 3800 mi on em.

$5000.00 with rubber. These are 10k from the dealer wheels alone.

Is this a good price? I think so

Wheels are perfect and SILVER.

Shank

-------------

Over 20 days later with no bites, he drops the price to $2500

I immediately go after it since this is a steal and the product is mint [/i}

June 23 @ 1PM - I talk to Ryan on the phone, he says to send him money via wire. I don't feel comfortable with this and offer Paypal and to pay the fees. He says he doesn't really use paypal. He then asks how quickly I need the wheels. I say, no car yet - but I'd like them shipped within the week. He says no problem and agrees to the Paypal, but just send a deposit of $1500. I'm fine with that. I paypal him immediately.

June 23@ 9PM - I follow up with a text saying "Paypal was sent a few hours ago" - I already know he accepted the money because it says so in my account. He texts back offering me an 06' Gallardo exhaust as well, I pass but say thanks.

July 1st @ 9AM

I text him "Ryan, hit me back and let me know what's up with the wheels"

-> Shank: "My handyman in Miami building got them out of storage, hey I have 2 sets...gray and silver...which one u want?"

-> ME: "Thx - Silver"

-> Shank: "I'm in chigago in the middle of moving my corp office...i will hit u up when I ship em...I will be flyin to miami aftr i get organized"

-> Me: "Hit me up when they go out so I can keep an eye out for them, next week sometime?

-> Shank: "I'll giv u better idea after the move..."

-> Me: " Cool - keep me posted, if I could get them late next week that'd be great.

July 8 @ 7AM

-> Me: "Callistos ship? Thx"

-> Shank: "Albert not yet I go back this weekend and I need to pack the heck out of em I am retiring this # to move to att 3GS my new # is XXXXXXXXXX once ship will give u tracker please save use that #"

-> Me: "Okay thx - will wait to hear from you this wkd."

At this point, I figure he's just busy - dude has money so it's not like he's trying to scam me, why would he? Right?

I inquire about the second set on July 9th @ 4PM since a friend is interested.

-> Me: "I may have someone interested in your gray callistos. Any chips or curbs?"

-> Shank: "Both sets are perfect. If u know me i am anal. I would not let chipped wheels sit in my garage let alone the cars"

-> Me: "I figured as much but had to ask lol. I'll have an answer to you soon on the titaniums (gray) - THX

-> Me: "My buddy will pickup the titanium set. I'll put him in touch with you. When are you shipping out mine? Thx"

-> Shank: "I fly into miami tuesday. Should b tues afternoon or wed. Gonna have my consierge help me pack. Don't want shippers to f'it up."

-> Me: "Cool. Let me know. Should I have my friend contact you via cell or email?"

-> Shank: "Cell is fine"

At this point I'm still trying to be cool, in reality it's a great deal so I'm content with being patient, but it's been awhile.

July 15 @ 11AM - Wednesday

-> Me: "Ryan, can you email me the tracking #'s?"

-> Shank: "Albert do not kill me i fly tonite. Had moving issues. Want me to put coin back to ur paypal until I give you tracker? Their urs"

-> Me:" Can you ship by Friday?"

****I'm really really trying to be cool and patient at this point, seriously - Plus, his offer to put money back reassured me****

-> Shank: "Gonna shoot tmrw"

-> Me: "Okay, if you can ship by Friday I'm cool"

Can you see where this is going? UGH. Again, trying to be patient and cool since this guy seems to have good rep

July 17th @ 1PM - Friday

-> Me: "Hey Ry, Tracking #?"

-> Shank: "Just landed 30 min ago, headed to condo."

-> Shank: "could not get on flight last nite"

---------

same day - 4 hours later

-> Me: "Were you able to get them out?"

-> Shank: "No, I'm trying to get my case open. / storage. Look I can paypal u in good faith. I have my security guy on it he's trying to get the key. Hank tight pal"

****Hindsight, I should have took the paypal at this point, but didn't want to go through the hassle of the 3% charge, resending the money etc****

-> Me: "OK. If you can't ship em' out by tomorrow afternoon I'll look for the paypal deposit . If you can ship out by tomorrow afternoon great"

-> Shank "ok sir for sure"

July 18th - 8AM

-> Shank: "What's your email? I need to send you pics of the rears first..."

-> Shank: "hello?"

****At this point I'm just shaking my head and laughing at MYSELF. Am I getting owned? Seriously? Do I respect this guy that much to let him give it to me like this? or am I just being too nice? I mean, what excuse is he giving me now?****

-> Me: "[email protected]"

-> Me: "Silver were 3K miles right? Titanium had more wear from what you mentioned"

-> Shank: "If that. But my security guy at my condo is saying the rears: middle is like worn/near flat? I never burned out ever and said right side scuffed a tad. I am awaiting pics. I'll be fwd. Maybe he's just being anal but lets see.

****Okay, so remember this comment? "Both sets are perfect. If u know me i am anal. I would not let chipped wheels sit in my garage let alone the cars"****

July 19th around 3PM (6+ hours after he said pics would be out)

-> Me: "Pics?"

-> Shank: "Sean from my building was gonna email them since he can't send via phone. Lemme call him. His XXXXXXXXX. Your welcome to text too please.

****Okay, you want me to text the guy who is supposed to send the pictures to you? How is this my problem now? I'm super bummed out (not even pissed - more irritated) and I figure I give up. Maybe he wants to sell them to someone for more or whatevers and is just trying to push me to quit****

-> Me: "Apparently it's not working out. Just paypal me back please"

-> Shank: "That's not an issue but do you still want them?"

-> Me: " If I could see what they look like and guarantee a ship date yes. Initially on the post you said they had 3K and were mint so I jumped and sent you a deposit thinking I'd get them in 2 weeks. It's been awhile past that and I understand you've been busy, etc. but it doesn't seem like a priority for u right now which is understandable"

-> Shank: "I swear I thought they were perfect because I always inspect my cars on a daily basis. If there are scratches I wonder if it's from storage. I'm waiting for the pics security guy took em and has to get to a pc to email them to us. I gave him ur email as well. But you're right you shouldn't have to wait.

****I'm over it, wasted my time, I tried to be as cool and patient as possible. At this point he could tell me he was riding a dolphin and was waiting for Valentino Balboni to personally ship em and I wouldn't be surprised - I figure I'll get my money, blow it all on iced coffee and focus on other stuff****

As Billy Mays would have said...BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

July 19th 4:30PM

****I still haven't received paypal so I text him to make sure he understood I wanted him to paypal me, as if it wasn't clear from the last text****

-> Me: "Pls paypal me back. Once you get everything straightened out, have pics and know the wear on the tires, maybe we can try again"

-> Shank: "Yeah, I agree. Also I'm gonna get fresh rubber where neded. Will sell better anyway"

****BOOM. I figured that maybe this was all to get me to quit - there's the proof, so I figured I'd strategically throw in some line just to stay in the game****

-> Me: "I'd appreciate first opportunity to purchase once you're set"

-> Shank: "Of course"

an hour later…

-> Me: "Did you send? I haven't received..."

-> Shank: "The paypal? No not yet"

-> Me: "Pls paypal me back [email protected]"

-> Shank: "I stated I will. I am in Miami. I will when I get to a PC"

-> Shank: "I don't want your money"

-> Me: "Iphone can do it as well - when can I expect you to get to a PC?"

-> Shank: "Monday night"

-> Me: " I'd appreciate if you logged into your paypal via your iPhone browser, I do it all the time"

-> Shank: "Paypal was linked to a Chase acct. We moved all our banking to bank of america. I have to verify that acct to paypal (now done instant I think) but I need that info. I'm not explaining myself. You will have your paypal fast. I will see if my buddy has laptop I can access later"

-> Me: "I'll expect my paypal deposit monday night then..." (SIGH)

-> Shank: "Sooner"

July 20th (Today @ 7AM PST)

-> Me: “Ryan, pls paypal me back. I don’t want to go through the hassle of contacting paypal and Amex. I know you don’t want/need my money so I’d appreciate it back”

An hour and half later he responds

-> Shank: "U kidding? Never will it come to that. I land at 6. Shortly after.

-> Me: “Ok. I’ll expect it back at 5PM PST” (giving him an extra 2 hours)

at 1:30PST he texts me again

-> Shank: “Hey FYI my plane was just deplaned back to Chicago. Now arriving 7:10. Incass u don’t see a paypal 5pm car” – this is literally what he typed.

About an hour ago I sent him my last attempt:

-> Me: “8:10 your time Ryan. I seriously don’t want to contact paypal/Amex. I thought we had mutual friends on the forums etc. You’ve got till 6pm PST to make this happen. I just don’t understand anymore.

So there you have it. I feel I was as patient as possible and that I was just taken advantage of by a respected member of the aftermarket forum community. Goes to show you it doesn’t matter how much money you have, what you drive etc – bad business is bad business. Ryan, if you’re reading this – all I wanted was my money back, instead I was forced to put this out to ensure other people don’t get taken advantage of as I did. I’ve already begun the process with Paypal and will work with AMEX as needed as well. Do the right thing and give me back my money by accepting the paypal dispute that I just sent.

No offense, but imho L-power is not built to take care of your disputes.

I had a complete opposite experience buying wheels from a member on LPower. The seller was cool enough to send the wheels first to "make sure I liked them"...couldn't have asked for a better deal!

Sorry to hear about your experience Formula...

No offense, but imho L-power is not built to take care of your disputes.

It looks to me like he did a pretty good job of documenting every 'conversation' he had with shank. It also sounds like he has exhausted himself of listening to these excuses being dragged on over the course of a month. Maybe he is just reaching out trying to find someone that knows shank personally to help out.

Again, I don't think shank would intentionally do anything like this. Sounds like he has a full plate.

I don't see a problem with threads like this - I know I'd be frustrated if this happened to me, and I'd probably do the same.

don't mean to be harsh on you

But how long are you willing to bend over and take it ?

he gave you the song and dance and you played by his tune, hope you get your money and learn for the future

once it comes to money there are no friends.

I'm in dispute with him right now on paypal. I appreciate all the replies, good and bad - I just don't want someone else to have to go through this.

"Shank" or whatever his name is, is a douche. Always has been. But this isn't the place to yap about his issues. Thread locked.