Installing Alpine head unit in a Murci

Smoky

Hi folks

I've been trying for weeks to contact Al & Ed's Autosound with these questions, but they do not return calls or emails. Or rather, instead of answering questions via email they email you to call, and then do not call back. lol

I'm hoping someone here can help.

I would like to purchase an Alpine X305S for my 2003 Murcielago and I have a couple questions before I purchase.

Is there anything I will need beyond what is included with the Alpine itself to complete the installation? For example is there a Metra-like chassis, wiring, or faceplate kit that I will need to purchase? There is nothing listed anywhere specific for the Murcielago. Should I purchase a part for another car (eg. An Audi?) or will the parts included with the Alpine head unit be sufficient?

Also, when I begin the install, how is the OEM head unit removed? I haven't gotten in there to stare at it and look for clips or screws yet. I assume it's all pressure-fit clips. What comes out first, the HVAC trim piece or the shifter console trim piece? Does the shifter console trim piece need to come out at all for this install? I am assuming so since the two trim pieces appear to overlap where they meet up.

If there is no kit or wiring harness adapters or anything then how do I proceed?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

The wiring harness should be the same as a Volkswagen if I remember correctly. Been awhile since I did a regular Murci. Your best bet is to get the stock cage and faceplate from an LP640 so that you could mount the new radio the right way. Thats what I had done with my 40th Anniversary. If you need any other help let me know.

The wiring harness should be the same as a Volkswagen if I remember correctly. Been awhile since I did a regular Murci. Your best bet is to get the stock cage and faceplate from an LP640 so that you could mount the new radio the right way. Thats what I had done with my 40th Anniversary. If you need any other help let me know.

Ya I need lots more help I'm afraid.

Why would I use an LP640 cage and faceplate for the Alpine? Lambo stuff is very expensive. Why is the LP640 stuff better than what I have now?

What about wiring? And trim removal steps to remove the OEM radio? Any info is appreciated.

Ya I need lots more help I'm afraid.

Why would I use an LP640 cage and faceplate for the Alpine? Lambo stuff is very expensive. Why is the LP640 stuff better than what I have now?

What about wiring? And trim removal steps to remove the OEM radio? Any info is appreciated.

I found this.... http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...st&id=61341 which is a good start (MACarbon console instructions).

Now I just need to know:

what wiring harness adapters, install kit, etc to get. I'm putting the LP640 stuff on the back burner. It's a path, sure...but probably the most expensive one. I have to believe that if the LP640 single-din stuff will work then so should mine? I don't really know. But I'd prefer not to waste $1000 on Lambo radio chassis and face plate compared to the $30 I should be paying for a Metra or Scosche kit.

Any advice on the install adapters or kit of some sort for the Alpine X305S.

Ironically, I have messaged someone else who posted they installed this exact radio. It is so rare that folks include details about their installs in their posts! What are so many folks so secretive! Forums are for sharing and learning! When I do my install I guarantee I'll take pics and post details. I can't help myself. I love to share, and I love to learn, and I love to help others learn! That's the purpose of this place, right?

Edit: I've found this (mfr name is misspelled, made it tough to find via search until I started playing with potential typo searches) http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...8&hl=scoche But this went into an 06 Roadster so I don' t know if this harness is compatible with my OEM 03 single-din?

Crutchfield: Useless, no help

Schosche: Useless, no help

Metra: Useless, no help

Al & Eds': Finally got a call back yesterday. Am waiting on them to do research and get back to me about the installation requirements. I thought they were a Lambo of America sponsor and did many, many Lambo ICE installs?? Anyway, they didn't seem to be familiar with the car when I called. I was surprised given how much they are talked up by the community. Although their phone system is divided by "Southern Cali" customers and "outside of Southern Cali" customers, so I wonder if by choosing "outside" I am getting the part of the company that doesn't know anything about Lambo???

Never has a stereo install been such a mystery!! It's not like I'm trying to unravel the complexity of the V12, ya know? It's just a radio! lol Maybe I'm one of the first people to install a custom head unit into a 2003 Murcielago? That seems ridiculous, but this is what it must feel like to have been the first! hahaha

And what antenna adapter would I need, as referenced in the above linked post (the OP has not PM'd me back..he may no longer be a member here I suspect). Is it this: http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Volkswagen-A...pd_bxgy_e_img_b ?

Infamous, is this the wiring harness to which you were referring?

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-VW01B-Speake...n/dp/B0007KK2S8

31fCnxtFh9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Righty, no mystery here. I fitted several (all POS) single Din units before I opened up the thing to take a double DIN.

As you've already surmised, pull the old unit out using a regular radio removal tool, the one for the stock Grundig is the pins type tool, like a big opened up paper clip. No need to take the AC panel off. If you do want to tale that off, when you get the radio and cage out, you'll see two M6 nuts on either side of the hole, loosen those and the panel does come off. Cage is held in panel with the bendy tangs, remove old cage, fit new.

You can pop the side off the console in the passenger footwell for better access to the wiring behind as it's all a bit of a squeeze.

As in photo above, that's the correct looking loom that you'll find on the car. The Alpine has two oblong plugs on a stubby loom that will plug straight in. All euro stuff is like that now. Not 100% sure if the NA Alpine will come with those however. Just did a search and can't find an install manual for the NA Alpines.

I'll see if I can find some photos.

I didnt even think about u using a single din. Sorry. I figured you were trying to put a double din radio in. You could use the face plate you have there it should be no issue..

Thanks guys! I'm starting to feel like the pieces are coming together. I might be able to start ordering soon!

That's awesome that the hvac panel doesn't even have to come out. I thought for sure that it would. I'll prob need to pull it though anyway to reach and properly route the iPod cable.

So to confirm, the harness and the antenna adapter I list above are correct? I just don't want to fry any electrics in this car, ya know?

And does this diagram look correct for the 03 Murci wiring?

1d928149e7a0b5cd5a90f110.L.gif

I didnt even think about u using a single din. Sorry. I figured you were trying to put a double din radio in. You could use the face plate you have there it should be no issue..

No worries. I looked at the DD's but just didn't like the way the unit isn't vertically centered in the space. That, and I don't need nav or DVD or anything like that. Just ipod and now Pandora will be plenty for me.

Thanks guys! I'm starting to feel like the pieces are coming together. I might be able to start ordering soon!

That's awesome that the hvac panel doesn't even have to come out. I thought for sure that it would. I'll prob need to pull it though anyway to reach and properly route the iPod cable.

So to confirm, the harness and the antenna adapter I list above are correct? I just don't want to fry any electrics in this car, ya know?

And does this diagram look correct for the 03 Murci wiring?

1d928149e7a0b5cd5a90f110.L.gif

Well I doubt you have rear speakers, but apart from that, it looks right. Also you can't get the speaker connector in the power socket or vice versa, they have a slightly different keyway.

Well I doubt you have rear speakers, but apart from that, it looks right. Also you can't get the speaker connector in the power socket or vice versa, they have a slightly different keyway.

Good point. I remember this from the install on the Lotus. It was just easier to take for granted because Crutchfield or whoever just said "use this harness" and it was straightforward.

Awesome. Ordering stuff now! Woohoo! I can't wait to have access to my itunes library again. And Pandora!

Thanks!!

One more question... do I have the correct antenna adapter id'd? Or is it something else from this list: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url...amp;x=0&y=0

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: NM made my own removal tool...coat hanger just needed to be flattened to create two 2-inch strips. Then it was able to slide in far enough to unlock the radio.

Now I just hope the harness wiring diagram is correct! Off to hopefully not fry my electrics...

Ok new question

OEM Grundig head unit is out. Yay!

That's the good news.

The bad news is this head unit has three connectors. The two expected connectors are present, and do indeed fit into the Scosche harness.

There is a third connector. The top-most connector in this column. Is this the changer connector? If so I suppose I can just ignore it and assume it contains no wiring that I will need? If not, then what is the best way to adapt this connector?

Thanks

Ok new question

OEM Grundig head unit is out. Yay!

That's the good news.

The bad news is this head unit has three connectors. The two expected connectors are present, and do indeed fit into the Scosche harness.

There is a third connector. The top-most connector in this column. Is this the changer connector? If so I suppose I can just ignore it and assume it contains no wiring that I will need? If not, then what is the best way to adapt this connector?

Thanks

Yep, it's the changer connector, goes to behind right hand seat. Just tie it out of the way.

Keep us updated with progress !

Yep, it's the changer connector, goes to behind right hand seat. Just tie it out of the way.

Keep us updated with progress !

Thx!

Head unit is in. Now I'm just waiting on my iphone to upload pics (of course, being a Mac device, it doesn't know what to do with cell tower signals, so it's taking a while as I get almost no signal since I'm at least a 1000 feet from the nearest cell tower...lol).

All I really have left is to get the metal strap connected in the rear. It seems stable otherwise, and I've never reattached those straps in other cars. But the way the chassis went in, I think it will be a good idea for some extra support so I'll do that later. Had to take a break so I could feed the family.

Will post pics in a bit. Was actually a very easy install once all the unidentified parts-list items were nailed down. When I post pics I will also post LINKS and PART NUMBERS to the items I used (how awesome am I, following through like that?)

Thanks for your help/hints!

Ok here's some pics/instructions for installing a head unit in a 2003 Murci equipped with a single-DIN Grundig

I will include how to remove the center console panel since I also ran an iPod connector. Most people will be doing this these days (if you don't like BT, like me), so I will include those steps. Otherwise you can skip anything to do with the center console.

Parts list:

Scosche VW01B Power/Speaker Connector for 1986-Up Volkswagen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KK2S8/ref=oss_product

Scosche Vwa-2B Volkswagen Amplified Antenna Adapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009UHQQ/ref=oss_product

Alpine iDA-X305S - Radio / digital player - Full-DIN - in-dash - 50 Watts x 4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G8LECG/ref=oss_product

Tools:

2.5mm allen wrench

3mm allen wrench

5mm allen wrench

Phillips screwdriver (long)

Flathead screwdriver (small)

Beer

Radio removal keys DIY - Take a coat hanger, cut it down to size (about a foot long, and bend at the ends to make a "C" that fits the two holes in the OEM Grundig head unit). Then use large vice-grips or other similar tool to flatten out each end. You will need to flatten about 2 inches worth of hanger...enough to slide into each slot on the head unit and push the locking tabs outward.

Alternatively maybe a kit like this one will contain the necessary tool, but I cannot guarantee this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U6QM7...;pf_rd_i=507846 (the little black tool on the top row looks like it might fit)

1. Disconnect battery, remove wedding rings, watches, belt buckles, etc. Basic prep.

2. Combine the Scosche VW01B wiring harness to the harness on the Alpine. All colors match 1:1 (refer to the color chart shown in the post above or refer here: http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01...5a90f110.L.gif). If you are installing into an OEM setup then you will not use the rear speaker connections. Speed volume, reverse lamp, tel mute, and pwr ant are also left out). Tie/wrap the unused wires safely out of the way, and ensuring their ends do not contact each other). For the Ground wire, you can either reuse the existing ground wire on the OEM harness, or use a frame mounting point. I recommend using the existing ground connection on the OEM harness because it's easy. If you experience engine noise in your speakers then try the frame. Use SOLDER to make the connections for the most reliable, long-lasting solution. Wiring connectors can also be used but most are shoddy and poorly made and difficult to use without the correct tools. Don't know how to solder? PM me and I'll have you soldering like a pro in about 30 minutes.

3. Remove the passenger footwell maintenance panel.

4. Use the coathanger/key to remove the radio. Remove the bolt on the rear of the radio to disconnect the mounting bar. Slide both ends of the "key" into the available slots on the front of the radio (lower left and lower right of the head unit face). When they are in far enough (about 1.5 - 2") then you should be able to slide the radio out easily. If not, jiggle the "key" ends around a bit...the locks may just be stubborn. Unplug the OEM radio from the main harness (two connectors) and the antenna connection, and set this aside (sorry...no premium for selling these on ebay...no one cares about this radio). If you have a CD changer equipped, there will be a third plug that you will not reuse, so tie it back so there are no rattles introduced, and move it out of the way.

(if you are not installing a USB/ipod connection then skip ahead).

5. Remove the OEM radio bracket. This may take some wiggling and jiggling but it will come out. Just watch the leather and plastics and take care not to scratch anything!

6. With the radio removed, two 2.5mm allen bolts should be exposed on either side of the radio slot. Remove these screws but keep them.

7. Unscrew the shift knob (the shift knob unscrews by grabbing the ball, but note the ball and the shift rod are one piece and the threading actually occurs at the bottom of this shift rod).

8. Remove the two 5mm allen bolts that hold down the shift gate.

9. Remove the shift gate. Take care not to scratch the gate or remaining shifter rod.

10. Remove the four 3mm allen bolts from the center-console storage area.

11. Remove the fuzzy liner from the center-console storage area.

12. Remove the radio panel/HVAC controls. With the two screws removed this panel will slide rearward (work one side, then the other). You can disconnect the HVAC wiring if you desire but the cable is pretty long and the unit can easily be set aside without too much fuss. Just take care of your leather and don't scratch anything.

13. Now you are going to lift up the center/shifter panel to gain access underneath for running the USB cable. For this you do not need to completely remove the center panel. To gain access to the underside of this panel you apply pressure up and slide forward. The two "feet" at the rear will slide out from beneath the center-storage area trim. It should come out rather easily. Don't force anything. Take care of your switches as the window controls are held in with a bit of friction. Now is a good time to Goo-Gone your switches if they have the infamous goo-buildup, since you can remove all of them as this point.

14. Install the modified/adapter radio harness to the OEM harness. Also install the antenna adapter to the OEM antenna adapter connector. It barely stays on there (maybe there is a model # with a better fit)? But it works well enough. Just take care not to knock that connection loose when reinstalling panels and trim pieces.

15. Run the USB/iPhone cable from the center-storage console, beneath the shifter panel (I shoved mine on the side of the foam surrounding the shifter) and to the back of the radio.

16. Install the Alpine mounting bracket. You will need to place it in the slot and then expand the tabs. I found the side tabs and center-most tabs work best. The usual "teeth" will not work in this case.

17. Remove the plastic trim-bezel that surrounds the Alpine face plate. It just pops off with a little pinch in the middle and corners. Also remove the detachable face if equipped.

18. Once the mounting bracket is firmly installed and secure, connect the wiring to the radio and then slide the radio into the bracket until it locks. You may need to recheck/reconnect wiring from the backside using the footwell access panel. Take care not to pinch or cut any wires, especially on the mounting bar. Use one of the screws included with the Alpine to bolt the mounting bar to the back of the head unit. It may take a little effort but it's worth it to keep the radio stable and in-place over bumps and such.

19. Create a hole or slot for the USB connector to pass through the front of the fuzzy center-storage liner. I just used a 1/2" drill bit and put a hole right in the front/middle. It is out of sight, cleanly cut (if you use a good bit), and allows the connector to slide through easily. Drill slowly so as not to crack or split the thin liner.

20. Double check all of the connectors and wiring. Ensure the wiring is secure and safe and not crimped or pinched or able to be pinched by any moving parts.

21. Install the detachable face to the head unit.

22. Turn the key to "on" (no need to start the motor at this time). Check that all the equipment works as expected, ensure speaker output is correct, the ipod connection works, etc. Then turn the key to "off". The Lambo keeps power going to the radio for about a minute or so.

23. Reinstall any switches that were removed for cleaning.

24. Reinstall the fuzzy liner, the center panel, the shift gate, the Radio/HVAC trim panel, the head unit bezel trim, and the footwell access panel. The head unit bezel trim can be a pain to lock in. Just be patient with it.

25. Enjoy beer.

Notes...

This is a good pictorial guide for removing the center panel and trim: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...st&id=61341

If you see any typos let me know and I'll correct them if the forum allows.

Some things can be done it whatever order your prefer. For example you can remove the OEM mounting bracket before or after removing the HVAC/DIN trim panel. Doesn't matter. Whatever works best for you is my motto.

Pic of radio/hvac panel, center panel, and fuzzy liner removed:

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

Pic of USB cable installed:

IMG_3720.jpg

Pic of radio installed: (This is before I did final alignment of the panels. I'll get a better image tomorrow since it is dark now).

IMG_5061.jpg

Since I cleaned my window switches (the only ones that were goo-ed up) here is a pic of a cleaned switch vs a gooey switch:

IMG_5400.jpg

And that's it! Good luck with your own install. And if you have questions then post here or PM me. I'm happy to help now that I know how!

Final pic, installed:

P1120382.jpg

Now that I can listen to my own tunes that I am very familiar with, it's really sinking in that I need a sub!

Great job...wow!! I am not so brave to attempt this haha

It was actually fairly easy once I had all the parts sorted. Hopefully this post will save others the trouble of doing the legwork, and encourage more owners to dive in there. These cars are fun and easy to work on!

• 3 weeks later...
Great job and write up. You should link this thread in the DIY, sticky at the top of the Murci section.

Nick

Done! Thx!

• 7 months later...