Spark plug corrosion

darth sidious

Recently my 6 began running very rough and underpowered. A similar thing happened several years ago and the problem was corrosion to the plugs and ignition coils. This time round I suggested to the dealer to check to see if this was the cause and sure enough it was. I always cover my engine with a piece of old BBQ cover that I cut to shape to prevent water getting in but this measure is useless if you get caught driving in the rain.

Coincidently at a car show several weeks ago I was in my Murcie and some chap engaged me in conversation. He told me that he used to own a Murcie and suffered with water on the plugs/coils causing similar symptoms to those I have experienced on the Diablo. His solution was to seal the gap at the top with heat resistant silicon sealant.

I only have the problem with the Diablo and so far the Murcie has been fine.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else had the same problem?

2) Has anyone else sealed the gap with high Temperature silicon sealant? Was it a success? If yes what did you use? If no, what went wrong?

3) Is there any other measure besides silicon sealant that can prevent this happening?

All feedback / responses gratefully received.

Thanks in inticipation

Recently my 6 began running very rough and underpowered. A similar thing happened several years ago and the problem was corrosion to the plugs and ignition coils. This time round I suggested to the dealer to check to see if this was the cause and sure enough it was. I always cover my engine with a piece of old BBQ cover that I cut to shape to prevent water getting in but this measure is useless if you get caught driving in the rain.

Coincidently at a car show several weeks ago I was in my Murcie and some chap engaged me in conversation. He told me that he used to own a Murcie and suffered with water on the plugs/coils causing similar symptoms to those I have experienced on the Diablo. His solution was to seal the gap at the top with heat resistant silicon sealant.

I only have the problem with the Diablo and so far the Murcie has been fine.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else had the same problem?

2) Has anyone else sealed the gap with high Temperature silicon sealant? Was it a success? If yes what did you use? If no, what went wrong?

3) Is there any other measure besides silicon sealant that can prevent this happening?

All feedback / responses gratefully received.

Thanks in inticipation

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by the "Gap"?

Are you suggesting that, water is seeping down through the top, of the spark plug rubber grommet/seal, that sits over the plug wells, basically down through the same hole of the rubber grommet/seal that the lead feeds through?

Or something else?

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by the "Gap"?

Are you suggesting that, water is seeping down through the top, of the spark plug rubber grommet/seal, that sits over the plug wells, basically down through the same hole of the rubber grommet/seal that the lead feeds through?

Or something else?

Here is a link to an eBay seller that I found searching for replacement CoP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Diablo...k-/221228000661

The description of the problem is better explained in their ad. It describes my problem nicely.

I am considering these. Has anyone on here fitted them? If so - were they OK?

Here is a link to an eBay seller that I found searching for replacement CoP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Diablo...k-/221228000661

The description of the problem is better explained in their ad. It describes my problem nicely.

I am considering these. Has anyone on here fitted them? If so - were they OK?

This eBay seller is WHITE OUT, who is a member here.