1991 Subwoofer Replacement

bxtech

Hello all,

Looking to replace the original subwoofer behind the driver's seat in my 1991. Not doing it for upgrade reasons, but mainly because the original foam on the speaker has deteriorated and it now sounds terrible.

Any recommendations on a particular brand or model? I would prefer a direct fit without any modifying. I haven't pulled my old one out yet, so I don't know the ohms spec I need to look for. Also, any depth or clearance issues? Maybe I need to find a "shallow" speaker with a small magnet or similar?

Do they still manufacture the original Alpine one?

If you are not considering an upgrade and like things as they were. Why not just re-cone the existing sub? Shouldn't be difficult to re-do the foam and it won't be $$$ either.

Hello all,

Looking to replace the original subwoofer behind the driver's seat in my 1991. Not doing it for upgrade reasons, but mainly because the original foam on the speaker has deteriorated and it now sounds terrible.

Any recommendations on a particular brand or model? I would prefer a direct fit without any modifying. I haven't pulled my old one out yet, so I don't know the ohms spec I need to look for. Also, any depth or clearance issues? Maybe I need to find a "shallow" speaker with a small magnet or similar?

Do they still manufacture the original Alpine one?

I had mine re-coned from a local place. Came out great and cost only around $60. Still original and fits perfect. I am sure you can find a place that will do it for you.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've actually never thought about re-coning or having the speaker rebuilt. TBH, I didn't know there were places that did this. I will do some research and see if I can find someone local to me. I will also check out Orange County Speaker Repair.

I was also thinking that if someone here might have upgraded theirs, and still have their original unit in good shape..........I would be interested if you'd like to sell. Please PM me if you do.

Thanks so much again guys!

If you are into music, why not just use this an opportunity to get a better one. It's like buying clothes - don't buy new ones, buy better ones... Just a thought!

If you are into music, why not just use this an opportunity to get a better one. It's like buying clothes - don't buy new ones, buy better ones... Just a thought!

Thanks for the thought! It's not that I'm really into music, I just want to fix the damaged and horrible sounding speaker that's in there. Sure, I totally agree............why not upgrade while I'm at it?? I'm willing to do that. That was why I was asking for recommendations of different models/brands of speakers. I'm hoping to get some feedback on what others have done and their experiences.

I just wanted to make it a point that I wasn't too interested in a "big" upgrade such as installing a larger speaker/larger box, different amplifier, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad I did not read this post sooner... just tossed out some old Diablo stuff that I figured was junk, including the sub from my old 94 Diablo! (everything was pretty much Alpine with my sound system, but had upgrade to a JL Audio sub and had the old one in a box - I would have given it to you)

Too bad I did not read this post sooner... just tossed out some old Diablo stuff that I figured was junk, including the sub from my old 94 Diablo! (everything was pretty much Alpine with my sound system, but had upgrade to a JL Audio sub and had the old one in a box - I would have given it to you)

Wow......bummer! I definitely could've used it! Oh well, thanks for the thought anyway! :)