Gallardo Doors

TwilighT

Minte,

The Murc,Countach and Diablo all share a critical Italian manfacturing feature:

*The Motor - a pure Lamborghini design

The Countach and Diablo were entirely fabricated in the factory, from the fiberglass pieces to the body to the frame to being painted to the seats.  Just about the only major assemblies not produced in Sant'#### were the tires (Pirelli), wheels (O.Z.) Windows (various), ECU, Gauges (VDO), Shocks and Brakes.

I guess my major problem with calling the Gallaro a Lambo is that its motor is of completely foreign design and is based upon a German V8 block.

-J

You should hate your car, because the engine design was taken from Honda.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diehard Lambo fans should LOVE the Gallardo. Without it, the factory goes belly-up, immediately. The G is the cash-cow, and critical for survival.

People who are fans of the marque in general, and wish it to continue to produce cars at all, need to think a bit before they speak when it comes to the G.

Mako,

Yep, I'm a Diablo/Countach guy, that's when the Lambo bug bit me and I guess I don't care for its current parent (Audi).

It's not that I see more of them on the road, no, I'm always tickled to see any Lambo on the road (even the Gallaro) - that's one of the reasons I also own a Viper because I can get together with folks in the "same" car more often. For get-to-gethers with my Diablo I have to drive 2.5 hours over towards Houston which would be great if I could do it "all out" but traffic/enforcement keeps me pretty much under 80mph most of the way making that a long day but great fun (the Houston Lambo guys are great).

Ron Wilson does drive his Orange Diablo GT out on the road around these parts fairly often, but, other than that, not much.

I think I would really like the G if it had a Lambo V8 in it or smaller block V12 (like the Countach motor). The scissor doors would be great too of course but I can live without that. To top off my wish list I would like to see the tranny mounted in front of the block (like the Murci/Diablo/Countach)....of course the G V10 is based upon the Audi V8 which was "made" for a front engine installation, hence the tranny hanging out the back.

-J

(I say this because Audi has directlysaid this when a spokesperson stated the "Gallardo build quality is not up to Audit's standards" this is why the Audi Lemans was created.   Check this link for the quote:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100765

So why pluck this quote from the infinite number you could have?

If build quality doesn't matter to you, why should it matter if a "spokesperson" said that Lambo is not upto Audi build quality.

Having looked at the articles you've quoted, you've very selectively pulled the one or two negative statements made about the Gallardo. And disregarded the rest of the article which is pretty much as positive as any other car reviews.

Allan,

Are you saying the Diablo V12, first designed in the early 1960s was based upon a Honda design? First I heard of that, do you have any references I could read up on?

Thanks!

-J

Mako,

Yep, I'm a Diablo/Countach guy, that's when the Lambo bug bit me and I guess I don't care for its current parent (Audi).

It's not that I see more of them on the road, no, I'm always tickled to see any Lambo on the road (even the Gallaro) - that's one of the reasons I also own a Viper because I can get together with folks in the "same" car more often.  For get-to-gethers with my Diablo I have to drive 2.5 hours over towards Houston which would be great if I could do it "all out" but traffic/enforcement keeps me pretty much under 80mph most of the way making that a long day but great fun (the Houston Lambo guys are great).

Ron Wilson does drive his Orange Diablo GT out on the road around these parts fairly often, but, other than that, not much.  

I think I would really like the G if it had a Lambo V8 in it or smaller block V12 (like the Countach motor).  The scissor doors would be great too of course but I can live without that.   To top off my wish list I would like to see the tranny mounted in front of the block (like the Murci/Diablo/Countach)....of course the G V10 is based upon the Audi V8 which was "made" for a front engine installation, hence the tranny hanging out the back.

-J

Damn, you drive a Viper? A car that shares parts with a Kcar? How could you. Im disgusted.

When i had my Countach and added a Diablo. I ended up never driving the Countach. As time goes on, same will happen with the DIablo.

Don't care for any of your changes, it's literally perfect the way it is. No idea why you're posessed with the transmission mounting area, please explain. What does that have to do with the overall capabilities of the car? Even balance is better the way the G's layout is.

I tire of this discussion, I'll leave others to handle it. I get bitter when anyone, L-car owners or not, come in and attack the Gallardo for not being a part of the fold. It's such an important model for Lamborghini's future, to downtalk it, at all, is franky showing such an ignorance that I can't deal with it. The car has won rave critical reviews. Its N-Ring time is unmatched by anything Ferrari offers. It's state of the art tech appeals to younger buyers, who are being introduced for the first time to Lamborghini, which is fantastic. It's a perfect car.

Would I like to see an optional RWD light weight club sport edition? Yes for sure. But for its intended purpose I can't think of a car I'd rather own in its price range.

Mako,

It's not that I see more of them on the road, no, I'm always tickled to see any Lambo on the road (even the Gallaro) - that's one of the reasons I also own a Viper because I can get together with folks in the "same" car more often.  For get-to-gethers with my Diablo I have to drive 2.5 hours over towards Houston which would be great if I could do it "all out" but traffic/enforcement keeps me pretty much under 80mph most of the way making that a long day but great fun (the Houston Lambo guys are great).

I think I would really like the G if it had a Lambo V8 in it or smaller block V12 (like the Countach motor).  The scissor doors would be great too of course but I can live without that.   To top off my wish list I would like to see the tranny mounted in front of the block (like the Murci/Diablo/Countach)....of course the G V10 is based upon the Audi V8 which was "made" for a front engine installation, hence the tranny hanging out the back.

-J

Damn, you drive a Viper? A car that shares parts with a Kcar? How could you. Im disgusted.

When i had my Countach and added a Diablo. I ended up never driving the Countach. As time goes on, same will happen with the DIablo.

Yes it was. Written in several Lambo books.

5to1,

Bottom line for me is the engine matters most, it was not designed for the car. It was designed for a front engine German car...And to have the "parent" company (yes, VW is the actually "parent parent") say its own product is not so good is just beyond me.

Yes, there are lots of nice comments, but, they are all regarding things which are not so important to me. I buy a "sports car" because of the motor, what it sounds like and how it feels, that's most important to me and I am "put off" by the motor in the Gallardo the most (if I were to pick one thing I would like to be made "more Italian").

But, if Allan says the original Lambo V12 is a Honda block, well, that's something I have never heard and would be curious to find out more as Honda never owned Lambo and Lambo history claims the motor was created for them...hired out by the man himself (Ferruccio).

-J

As an Italian and a Countach owner... I have NO problems with Audi owning, and building the new Lambos... The only issue I have, you havent mentioned... And thats having a NON italian (Belgium I beleive?) design the bodies... Despite that, the murcie has grown on me (didnt like it the first time I saw it)... which the Italian designed Diablo never did... The G isnt my cup of tea... but I have VERY particular tastes... So thats more a comment about me than it is about the car...

Beyond that...

I dont care if a pack of Polish rocket scientists made the motor in the G while on hiatus from Kia. Listen to that motor with Kreisigg exhaust and none of that matters.

Personally, i take offense to you coming on here and balatantly trying to upset our Gallardo owning members. I have owned several Lambos, and i can tell you that a Gallardo is 100% Lambo. It is awesome. If it werent, i wouldnt be so excited to add one to my collection.

i am with you on this one!

alex

Mako,

Sorry to tire you. I love Lamborghini but I do not care for how Audi is managing its future. If I had a $100M I would have bought Lambo in 1997 and left it to the Italians to manage.

As for the Germans, I think the Porsche Carrera GT is a fantastic car, race motor and all.

-J

Mako,

Sorry to tire you.  I love Lamborghini but I do not care for how Audi is managing its future.  If I had a $100M I would have bought Lambo in 1997 and left it to the Italians to manage.

As for the Germans, I think the Porsche Carrera GT is a fantastic car, race motor and all.

-J

I hate the CGT.

5to1,

"parent" company (yes, VW is the actually "parent parent") say its own product is not so good is just beyond me.

Thats taking some creative license with that quote. Firstly the quote has little provinence. Secondly even if it is true, since we have little information on the context or the level of the "spokesperson" making the quote its a stretch to come to the conclusion you've made above.

Do you really believe this one quote can be stretched to represent the feeling of the company as a whole.

And with respect to the meaning of the quote, I cant see how u take it to mean the product is not very good. It refers only to build quality. And since the build quality of the G is superior to any other exotic that makes those less then good if we take your interpretation.

Hey Romandad,

Great picture! I had not seen that one yet.

Yes, "left the company" Luc Donckerwolke, he's a mix from all over, the Murci body was not my cup of tea either (I was there at the factor for the launch in 2001), but I do like it...and I hear there is a street SV version coming, maybe that'll be the one to get.

The big thing with the Murci is, I do not understand how the car weighs in at something like 3900 pounds (hundreds more than my Diablo), I mean it uses carbon fiber all over the place, where's all that weight? They need to get it down to no more than 3500 pounds (with all fluids in place), it's just mass to swing around on the track (yes I track my SE30).

-J

Yes, there are lots of nice comments, but, they are all regarding things which are not so important to me.   I buy a "sports car" because of the motor, what it sounds like and how it feels, that's most important to me and I am "put off" by the motor in the Gallardo the most (if I were to pick one thing I would like to be made "more Italian").

Well lets address the 3 areas you've listed:

Looks: Subjective. But since you've used magazine quotes to substantiate your argument, lets do the same. I've read a dozen magazines with reviews on the G. Plus the one you provided a link for. Guess what, they've all had only positive things to say about the Gallardo's looks. Unquestionably Lambo (other then the doors, but then is the Muira not a Lambo?).

Sound: Again, I've yet to come accross a magazine which has stated there is any problem with the way the G sounds. Infact they have all been positive.

Engine: Well since Allans thrown the provinence of the engine in your car into question, not sure what your position is now. So let me ask you, if it turns out the engine was derived from a Toyota design, would you still consider your car a Lambo? Would you sell it? Would you have not bought it in the first place?

Well I tell you what, there are a lot of thoughts and feelings floating around out here.

I think Audi has done one thing well, that is bring a lot of "new owners" into the Lambo fold. I am pretty sure that is all they wanted to do (besides emulate Ferrari's success with the Modena) and they have done it.

With Porsche and Mercedes Benze vying to buying ownership in VW you will pretty much have just a few companies making all the exotics. BMW has Rolls, VW has Bentley, VW has Bugatti, VW has Lambo, Ford has Aston Martin and so on (MB/DC owns Dodge/Viper). The heritage disappears with these sorts of ownership changes and for that I'm sad. Of course it is nice to see the "bloodlines" survive but they just are not the same.

Nice to have a car that doesn't share parts with lots of other cars, that's getting darn hard to do.

So, sounds like I need to rethink how I approach cars in the new millenium. But the Koenigsegg is interesting...esp. now that is is street legal in the US.

Thanks for all the feedback, just what I was needing as I am trying to figure out what's next for the garage.

Ciao!

John

I think you need to consider some of the positives of Audi coming in aswell.

50% of the miles I covered this year have been in the Lambo. Something I could never do in the previous Lambos. I have more confidence the company will still be there 5 years down the line, should I need parts (if I keep it that long), and those parts will get cheaper as numbers increase.

I have a well designed, well put together interior.

And should I have an accident, I have a much better chance walking away in one piece.

And Accessibility to Service Centres and their answerability is only getting better with a large parent company such as Audi/VW.

5to1,

As for looks, I think it looks GREAT (I do not think I have knocked the Gallardo's looks at all other than the tranny).

Regarding the motor being a Honda(Japanese) design, I will have to check with the factory on this, as the on references I can find on a web search refer to innuendo.

Would it change my mind if somehow Honda design the motor (the original motor), I would have to say no as the motor is "one of a kind" not shared wtih any other platform or manufacturer, if Audi had done the same I think I might have been more attracted to it, particularly if the design was intended for mid-engine placement.

Why the heavy criticism on the tranny hanging out the back...well, it's the only visual feature of the Gallardo I think is of "poor design" and that it is a major powertrain component that is a problem. And, I don't like the idea that the 6spd tranny action is run by cables (between the shifter and the tranny), it does feel fine and if I did not know it was run on cables I could not say it does, but I do think it is a weakness in the design.

Allan -- connection to the Viper is not the "k-car" bits and pieces but that the Viper was first designed/created at the same time Chyrsler owned Lamborghini. So, there is a "lambo - viper" connection, tenuous at best but something I like.

-J

Hey Romandad,

Great picture!  I had not seen that one yet.

Yes, "left the company" Luc Donckerwolke, he's a mix from all over, the Murci body was not my cup of tea either (I was there at the factor for the launch in 2001), but I do like it...and I hear there is a street SV version coming, maybe that'll be the one to get.

The big thing with the Murci is, I do not understand how the car weighs in at something like 3900 pounds (hundreds more than my Diablo), I mean it uses carbon fiber all over the place, where's all that weight?  They need to get it down to no more than 3500 pounds (with all fluids in place), it's just mass to swing around on the track (yes I track my SE30).

-J

Just think that with all that extra mass, the Murci will destroy you on a track, while keeping you more comfortable, and safer.

I think you need to consider some of the positives of Audi coming in aswell.

50% of the miles I covered this year have been in the Lambo. Something I could never do in the previous Lambos. I have more confidence the company will still be there 5 years down the line, should I need parts (if I keep it that long), and those parts will get cheaper as numbers increase.

I have a well designed, well put together interior.

And should I have an accident, I have a much better chance walking away in one piece.

And Accessibility to Service Centres and their answerability is only getting better with a large parent company such as Audi/VW.

That's precisely why I came to Lambo.After years of driving Porsche,the affiliation with Audi,seemed to be the perfect marriage.Gorgeous Italian styling,a sound that is hard to beat with German engineering and reliability.

One more thing, people need to remember Lambo was on its knee's when Audi took over. And they are following a proven, and IMO the only methodology to bring it back to the top.

1) They need to make cars that will generate revenue. That means some compromises, as you have stated. But as long as the cars are clearly Lambo, I see no problem with that. Line them all up, from the CT to the G. I dont think an objective person would pick any out and say that one doesnt fit. The same goes for performance, sound, etc. Ofcourse there is some evolution (4WD being the biggest change in terms of feel, IMO).

2) They need to make cars which push the envelope and so progress the brand. This can only be done once step 1 is complete. And at this stage people like you will get what you want (if you can afford it). In other words Lambos answer to the CGT/Enzo. A car that is not primarily there to make revenue, but say this is what we can do. This is where Lambo is going.

And BTW had you put the $100M forward in 1997. You would have been lucky to see them produce anything, let alone the type of car you want.

5to1,

I think you make some excellent points.

I was very interested in getting a Murci for those same reasons (mostly that it could be used everyday unlike my Diablo). Why no Murci for me, looks and weight. Looks because it is not agressive enough, I was thinking the Murcie was going to "one up" the Diablo in this stance as the Diablo "stepped back" a little from the Countach in the agreesion dept. I think the Murci steps back a little further still. Weight because I like to track the car and 3900 lbs is just too heavy of a car).

Here are some photos you might enjoy:

site1019.jpg

site1018.jpg

These are from the Mucie Launch (except the last one which is from a track event in France):

site1017.jpg

-J