Nsx?

supradedupra

I've been looking for a car to replace my supra, and I've been seriously considering an NSX. Today, I took the opportunity and test drove one. Here is my little write up of it.

----------------------------------------------------------

I've been looking for an NSX locally for a while now. Ive been to the local Proctor Acura looking for one to no avail. They didn't have any... so my search for one ended there.

That was until last Friday.

So, I was having lunch with this cute girl I met from class, and while I was waiting for her to show up, I stumbled across a car buying magazine that the resturant happened to have sitting around. So I started thumbing through it, and noticed that there was a red 1996 5-speed NSX-T in town. At that point, I tore out the page, and made a mental note to go check it out.

Today, I was on my way to get some things at Walmart, and I decided I had some time to spare. I stopped by this dealership called Premier Motorcars, and there I saw it. It was parked right in front of their building hidden from view from the street. So, I walked inside and asked someone about it. They told me to wait for Tom (the sales manager) as it was his "baby". The woman that I was talking to then walked in his office and grabbed the keys. She handed them to me and told me he would be right with me.

So, I walked outside and started checking out the car. A few minutes later, Tom came out and we started talking. He showed me everything wrong with it (some minor shit... but still important to consider) and showed me what was good about. He told me the only modifcations were the Comptect exhaust and K&N Filter. He started it up and reved the engine so I could here it. It sounded good ;). So, we discussed NSX's etc, and then went back inside where he showed me some pictures of past ones he had. We talked more about stuff, and then I popped the question, "can I drive it?" He goes, "no problem".

He instructed me to get into the passenger seat and he would drive it out, and then let me drive it back. My first impression was that the passenger seat is extremely uncomfortable. Not the seat itself, but the leg room. I'm only 5' 11" tall, and I had to sit with my knees bent. We drove out a bit, and studied everything inside the car. No cup holders, but I wouldn't really want to drink something inside of here anyways. Then we pulled into a gas station, and he let me get behind the wheel.

First thing he told me, "you have to hold the clutch all the way down, or the car will stall." This puzzled me a bit... then I asked him a little more about it. "The clutch has to be to the floor maxxed out or it will stall." Hmm... ok. So I start driving, and he tells me to keep it under 5,000 rpms. No worries. I did a nice little 0-60 mph pull, and it was decent. Not faster than the supra, but I didn't expect it to be either. My only complaint was how cramped the footwell was. There wasn't much space for me to rest my foot when not on the clutch. Besides that though, the car drove nice. Visibility out the rear was kind of limited, but the sidemirrors more than made up for it. Tom even let me back it back into it's spot between two poles, and I did it easily. We talk a little more on the way back, and he tells me it will run a high 13 or a low 14 if I can drive pretty well.

We get back, shake hands, and he tells me to come back whenever I want. Tom was a really good salesman, I might just take him up on his offer when I get the supra back from the body shop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you guys had any experiences with these cars? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

Me and my girlfriend are looknig to save a little medium term to get our first car together soon. Debating the following - New Mustang, RX8 (hoping they'll get a turbo next year), Lotus Elise, used NSX or an older Viper RT/10. Staying within the 30-50k range, probably won't be anytime this year or next, so we're still weighing it. The NSX looks nice, saw one in person the other day for the first time, very nice cars, it was an earlier one.

Pre-1997 = Not worth the time. Major differences in the model were made in 97, much faster, more fulfilling car.

Here is my two cents:

If you want to keep the car relatively stock, go for the 97+ NSX. It is faster and the 6-speed rules. Your only real mods are i/h/e/ CTSC.

If you want to go crazy with mods, get a 94 NSX, which is OBD1, and you can mod the hell out of it.

The clutch issue does NOT sound right at all. I rarely ever have my clutch to the floor.

For a clean 96 with low miles you should expect to pay between 37-43K.

Good luck. Visit nsxprime.com for more info.

Check out my boy Charles car. I LOVE this car.

http://www.tunerzine.com/articles/2005/fea...SX/article.html

Nice looking car! So I'll take it the pre 97's are easier to tune yourself due to the OBD1 instead of OBD2... there seems to be a lot of support for them.

Nice looking car!  So I'll take it the pre 97's are easier to tune yourself due to the OBD1 instead of OBD2... there seems to be a lot of support for them.

91-94 are ODB1. 95+ are OBD2 and Drive-by-wire - which is a big problem with tuning.

A lot of guys are running the AEM on the 91-94 with great results. Someone in Cali just developed a system for the ODB2 NSX's using the factory ECU to control the DBW and the AEM for everything else. This holds promise for many ODB2 guys. It should be ready in a few weeks.

I'll be selling my car soon to go for a 97+ NSX.

Here is my two cents:

If you want to keep the car relatively stock, go for the 97+ NSX.  It is faster and the 6-speed rules.  Your only real mods are i/h/e/ CTSC.

...and using the factory ECU to control the DBW and the AEM for everything else...

I don't know what those abbreviations mean ? :(

How much are they asking for it and how many miles on it?

I believe it has 48,000 miles (or 58,000?) on the odo. He told me $36,500.

Also, the guy showed me that it had a check engine light, and said it was from the OBD2 ?...

I don't know what those abbreviations mean ?
Intake/Header/Exhaust, and I'm guessing CTSC means Comp-Tec supercharger. For you owners, I had a friend back in college with a 01' 6 speed, one thing that drove him nutz was something about the way the cars' toe in/out setup from the factory caused it to eat through tires like crazy. Tried different settings from a shop but then the car didn't seem to have that agile feel as before. Did that happen to any of you?

No problem with premature tire wear. And I actually have the shop align the settings back to the most aggresive 91-spec instead of the pussified revised setting Honda implemented in the later cars for girls like your friend QS. :mrgreen:

Much more agile that way as you noted via sharper turn in.