What do I have? (w/ pics)

TDOGG

Hi all...

In 1990, when I was 16 yrs old, my father purchased a 1982 Countach...my teenage dream car!!! Now, approaching the end of 2005, my father has given me "the lambo".

My folks recently got divorced, so my father decided to give me the lambo, to ease the settlement (since he didn't drive it anymore anyways)...but this is a discussion for a different forum (just wanted to give you a bit of info on how I was "given" a countach)

I was hoping to find out more about what I have acquired! By doing a bit of research, I believe that it is a late model LP400S...correct? No doubt, you folks may be able tell me a bit more.

- The serial nbr is 1.121.428

- No US bumpers

- Wing (when purchased, he was told it was the actual factory one)

- located in the Atlanta, Georgia, USA area

- has ~38,000 km on the working od

Any information would be MOST appreciated! Thanks in advance!

P.S. Pics in subsequent posts...

Regards,

T-DOGG

lambo_snout.jpg

lambo_ass_end.jpg

lambo_interior.jpg

The interior is showing A LOT of signs of age! That thing sticking up, that you are probably asking, "What is that?", is a crappy old stereo equalizer on a bendable arm.

lambo_engine.jpg

This pic was taken before my dad bought it. I don't know why it was pulled.

What you have is a piece to be proud of. Very lucky to have it given to you even though it cost the break up of your Family. Love it, respect it, and most of all enjoy it but do not abuse it. As far as wanting to know more about it, do you have any specific questions. The one thing I highly recommend you do is learn the history of Lamborghini, the company, and how they survived. You will appreciate that car even more. Way ahead of its time when concieved.

Not sure what your looking for as far as info. You seem to know what it is...

AND

...As far as wanting to know more about it, do you have any specific questions...

LamboJay and Mike and EVERYONE,

As far as 'direct questions', not quite yet... I am hoping that someone with a more trained eye will be able to take the info and pics that I have provided and let me know if they see anything that just doesn't look right, anything that doesn't quite gel between the two, or anything that doesn't appear "correct" for the given year of the car.

For example, I am 99% sure that this car was repainted and I noticed that the pics I have found for an LP400S have a "Lamborghini" badge where my rear "Bertone" badge is. Is mine not correct to the year/model?

Small stuff like that... I am not 100% sure that I trusted the guy my dad bought it thru back in the day. So I am looking for issues with the car. Another example...does the rear wing appear to be correct for the year/model? It would not completely shock me if it was not.

Just small stuff like that... I am quite anal about the details!!! :P

Are you trying to get some type of value on the car?

SP_wEaZeL,

Not quite yet.

#468 was the last 400S made so its indeed a very late 400S model

Diablo_4_Ever,

Would the masses consider this more desirable, less desirable, or average...in the Countach market? Thanks in advance!

Have you driven it?

Romandad,

Not in YEARS! I had a hopped up '84 Porsche 930 (911 Turbo), factory slant-nose, factory wide-body...440 bhp, that I drove at the time...VERY VERY quick...BUT, it didn't hold a candle to the driving experience of the Countach...no contest! It wasn't as 'quick' as the 930 but, as you probably know, there is a certain presence and feeling about the Countach that is unmatched, for the time period. It's just not comparing apples to apples...ya know?!

ALL,

Please let me know if you see anything different...right or wrong...with the info and pics above. I'm just trying to absorb the knowledge from everyone! I thank you in advance!

Regards,

T-DOGG

Thats so weird... It looks just like a Lamborghini Countach... OH... WAIT... It IS a Lamborghini Countach... :roll:

Yes.. You should have a bull and "Lamborghini" in the general vicinity of where the bertone badge is on the rear... Thats a weird one... Those badges aint cheap... Figure a few hundred bucks... which may explain that... If somebody stole them the P.O. may have just found it simpler to tack on a Bertone badge since you could probably pick one of those up at any number of car dealerships cheap.

Im not an expert on the 400 by any stretch, but whats that swith on the left side of the dash??? 2. That stalk thing needs to go.. who the hell did that? 3. Something is going on with your glove box...

I think all the rear wings (except maybe the Wolffs) were the same... Your pictures of it arent great, but it looks Pretty much normal from what I can see...

The rest looks nice to me... My guess is, there are a few folks here who might be interested in taking it off your hands...

TDOGG,

The Bertone badge seems wrong, I've never seen that. Your wing looks correct, but comparing it to mine, the vertical covers (mounting pods) are differant. Mine have small screws holding them on from the sides( 4 on each side). Are yours Aluminum Not fiberglass? That would help identify it as an original. The leather material above the e-brake handle seems wrong.

I think the switch romandad is talking about is the trip meter reset. The rest of the car seems to be fine from what I can see.

Does it have the original tool kit? If so, can you post some detailed pics of it for me? Thanks.

Greg

Nice, It looks pretty close to what it should to me.

I would be love to talk to you if you do decide to sell as I have been looking for a 400s for quite a while

If you keep it, save your money....and a lot of it. Restoring is fun but can get expensive. I agree with reading up on the history of Lamborghini. To sell it, you're looking at or around $100,000. Depending on condition, it could be less. It's a very good investment, so sitting on it is only doing you good. It's been in the family a long time....hang on to it.

I had one of those equalizers from the late eighties :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thats so weird... It looks just like a Lamborghini Countach... OH... WAIT... It IS a Lamborghini Countach... :roll:

I think all the rear wings (except maybe the Wolffs) were the same... Your pictures of it arent great' date=' but it looks Pretty much normal from what I can see...

quote']

No, there were actually several different wings. The earliest wings were an exact copy of Walter Wolf's LP500S with non swept struts, then came a very highly cambered, non-end-plated unit with adjustable angle of attack (like I think on Greg's silver 400S), then came the one on T-Doggs car, which stayed until '86, which then saw a smaller one with less sweep in the strut supports.

This one looks correct for a late 400S, though I don't think there's a "correct" or "incorrect" wing as outside contractors made these wings anyway and I have seen all different kinds on all different years.

This car looks exactly like the late serial 400S that it is - later wing and instrument binnacle, taller body, and earlier dash landing, door panels, and center console.

Congrats T-Dogg, it's a beauty.

I think you have a very cool piece........ add to this the fact that you grew up with it in the family makes it even more special....... I would suggest that you keep her..... and if the timing is not right to tend to all the details she needs... so be it ...make it project over time........ my gut tells me that as the years go by you will be glad that you did.

Certainly it can be mechanically sold and replaced....... but the emotions surrounding this car and you will never be duplicated.

Take care

Shadowman

I think you have a very cool piece........ add to this the fact that you grew up with it in the family makes it even more special....... I would suggest that you keep her..... and if the timing is not right to tend to all the details she needs... so be it ...make it project over time........ my gut tells me that as the years go by you will be glad that you did.

Certainly it can be mechanically sold and replaced....... but the emotions surrounding this car and you will never be duplicated.

Take care

Shadowman

Shadowman,

You are killing me :axe: :x

But you are right if you can keep it in the family, TDOGG You should. :(

If you have to sell it, sell it to someone who will love it, like me :)

I didn't get sh-t when my parents got divorced. :(

LOL

:finga:

(just kidding)

~~ they must have givin' you something...like "smarts"...ur doin' well enough to be a "multiple" lambo owner!