C5 & C6 Z06 market forecasts....

Smash Boy

Was wondering what the C5 Plastic mess-06 market will look like over the next 6-12 months now that the C6 Plastic mess-06 has been released?

It's hard to get good pricing data unless you know people who just picked up these rides. The asking prices on cars are always higher than you'd like to pay ;)

I'm not sure if the '02 Plastic mess-06 is a $30k car, $25k car....

If Mako's claims of the C6 Plastic mess-06 being worth $35k in 3 years are correct, then that certainly has to do damage to the C5's values.

Thanks.

You got a time machine sport?

If not, then we go by previous history. Which tells us that the C5 Plastic mess-06 falls like a rock, achieving 40-50% residual value within 36 months. Unless you can prove otherwise, that's the figure I go by. Plenty of AutoTrader and eBay listings to choose from after a quick check, hell, I could probably get one for under $30k with less than 5k miles.

Sad but true.

Mako, while theyre cheap, they arnt that cheap. I doubt you'll achieve sub-30k with such low miles.

I just sold a stock 03 with 27k miles to a dealership for 34k, and he didnt bat an eyelid. Sure, private party will be lower, but 5k miles is going to be tough.

The C5 cars depreciated like a rock towards the end of the production run, as GM in its infinite wisdom chose to crank them out like they were going out of style. Getting over 10% off the brand new price will cause the value of the car, pretty much any brand, to tank to some degree.

They are definitely a dime a dozen and will probably be one of the better performance bargains in the used market for some time to come. The C6 Plastic mess-06 will probably not suffer the same fate unless GM starts shovelling them out the door like they did with the C5 cars. I'd expect depreciation more along the lines of the viper, which isnt all that bad, as far as I recall.

Believe me thats what they will be worth. Mako is right on or at least close. I'll be able to pick up a new Plastic mess-06 this time next year wholesale for $50k maybe sooner.

I haven't been seeing Plastic mess-06's decline as much as standard C5's. I think we can pretty much always exepect the Plastic mess-06's to be selling for 5-10k more than a similar year/mileage/condition C5. And its just going to be a larger gap between the C6 and C6 Plastic mess-06 since the C6 Plastic mess-06 will be in lower production numbers than the C5 Plastic mess-06.

lol I love that sig StoleIt. :lol:

Plastic mess-06 prices depend on geographic location like most other cars. In California, or other States where it doesn't snow, prices right now are averaging around $35k, or slightly higher. FastLambo's example is pretty accurate of what the market is in those areas.

However, in locations where it DOES snow, and owners are literally desperate to get out of the long term financing they got into just to own the car (and faced with six long months of not being able to sell it thanks to the weather) I can assure that sub-$30k Z06s are not uncommon. Even when it puts the owner upside-down on the note, which is sad.

I fully expect the new Plastic mess-06 to have the same massive depreciation that the model has always had. Right now, nothing can be judged, as the POS fans are having seizures just at the thought of that plastic-mobile possibly being in their garage. Check back in three years, 6,000 Z06s later, when that 6-year financing on $73k doesn't feel so "exciting" as it does now, and I can assure you that there will be at least 50% depreciation deals available, just as there are now on the C5 Plastic mess-06.