Clear engine cover or not?

MusslKar

Any cleaning issues. Will I need to spend more time on engine detailing with a clear cover? Will the glass fog up inside from out gassing in the engine compartment?

Guest SP_wEaZeL

The only bad thing I'm hearing is if it's closed too hard, it will shatter the glass. Engine detailing will only depend on how clean you want your engine bay to look. Good luck on your decision.

-Mark

well, we all wish hot chicks would wear clear skirts to get a peek at what they've got under there, at least with a hot car you can do that.

I am not a fan of the clear cover.Also,it is heavier than the regular one and that is weight on the top part of the car ,just where you don't want it to be

well, we all wish hot chicks would wear clear skirts to get a peek at what they've got under there, at least with a hot car you can do that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well put

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well put

Makes good sense! :lol:

I think it fits better on the SE. Standard cover=clean the outside, clear cover=clean both sides of cover+detail engine.

Does anybody have experience with having a Gallardo built to order? Time from order to delivery?

I quite like it but wonder if it is worth it. The Ferrari engine with the red finish is more visible. Looking through the Gallardo's glass cover doesn't reveal a hell of a lot.

I think it fits better on the SE. Standard cover=clean the outside, clear cover=clean both sides of cover+detail engine.

Does anybody have experience with having a Gallardo built to order? Time from order to delivery?

I will agree the clear cover does look better on the SE.

As far as ordering and delivery, L/P Member "Mana" ordered a Pearl Orange Gallardo on March 8th and it was supposed to be delivered at the end of July, but it didn't actually get delivered until mid August.

-James Miller

I wouldn't own a Gallardo without the transparent engine cover, its easy to keep clean and it doesn't fog, ever. The engine stays very clean and it only takes about 10 minutes to clean the glass and the engine, also it saves from opening the engine bonnet every single time someone asks about the car. The weight issue is stupid, I have driven many Gallardos with and without the clear engine bonnet and theres no freaking difference. How do you like to view or do a girl, clothed or naked? Now you know your answer.

I wouldn't own a Gallardo without the transparent engine cover, its easy to keep clean and it doesn't fog, ever.  The engine stays very clean and it only takes about 10 minutes to clean the glass and the engine, also it saves from opening the engine bonnet every single time someone asks about the car.  The weight issue is stupid, I have driven many Gallardos with and without the clear engine bonnet and theres no freaking difference.  How do you like to view or do a girl, clothed or naked? Now you know your answer.

The weight issue is not stupid at all.You are obviously clued out to the laws of physics.Just because you didn't notice any difference doesn't mean there isn't any.While everyone strives to have a lighter car for obvious reasons you come up with a dumb statement like that one.

Drive the car to the limit and you will see if there is a difference.Not to knock you completely,day to day driving and put putting around,you will not notice a difference.

The weight issue is not stupid at all.You are obviously clued out to the laws of physics.Just because you didn't notice any difference doesn't mean there isn't any.While everyone strives to have a lighter car for obvious reasons you come up with a dumb statement like that one.

Drive the car to the limit and you will see if there is a difference.Not to knock you completely' date='day to day driving and put putting around,you will not notice a difference.[/quote']

If you want I can teach you physics. What do you know if I have driven them to the limit or not. I bet most people including you, wouldn't feel the difference at all. The only negative thing is that this extra weight is high on the car. Do you know how much the clear engine bonnet weights over the other? Then do your math from there.

The standard hatch does look meaner, and the glass hatch looks better on the SE. As far as weight goes....the glass hatch weighs a minimum of $4000.00 more than the standard hatch.

Drive the car to the limit and you will see if there is a difference.Not to knock you completely' date='day to day driving and put putting around,you will not notice a difference.[/quote']

If you want I can teach you physics. What do you know if I have driven them to the limit or not. I bet most people including you, wouldn't feel the difference at all. The only negative thing is that this extra weight is high on the car. Do you know how much the clear engine bonnet weights over the other? Then do your math from there.

If you knew physics you wouldn't have made a dumb statement in the first place only to turn around and contradict yourself afterwards.The only negative is that extra weight is high on the car.HAHAHA

That is exactly what i was talking about.And if you read carefully,i did say that under normal driving conditions you couldn't tell the difference.

Not knowing you,i have no idea if you could drive the car to the limit and you certainly can't do that on the street.

Since you don't know me too,don't make any assumptions about i can or cannot do.I was not commenting on your driving ability however good or bad it may be.

And i couldn't care less how much the clear bonnet weighs.It weighs more than the standard bonnet and i am not a fan of it.

Another downside to the clear cover: More fingerprints on the car as people try to get a look in at the engine while it is parked. Go for a spyder; then you won't have to agonize over the decision.

I didn't contradict myself, because I never said that weight wasn't an issue, weight is an issue but in a car like the Gallardo the clear engine bonnet weight is not gonna really slow anyone down or upset the driving dynamics to a point in which is gonna make anyone loose a race. Who in here races a Gallardo as a way of making a living? That is my point. I don't need to explain so much into detail as I think anyone in here understands pretty much what I meant. I didn't said that you can or cannot drive to the limit, I said that I think that you wouldn't feel the difference from a Gallardo with a clear engine bonnet and one with the boring solid piece. You are to defensive and you come across as if you like to argue like a child, picking little details that don't need to be mentioned since we all know better, I guess excluding yourself. I know you will reply again but please make it interesting this time around. One thing if for sure, if most owners feel like you then maybe they should loose a few pounds of beer belly and fat ass weight, maybe that will help them do faster laps plus will make the car better looking, if like many, when posing next to it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Another downside to the clear cover: More fingerprints on the car as people try to get a look in at the engine while it is parked. Go for a spyder; then you won't have to agonize over the decision.

I like the hatch, no agony here. No spyder though, I have the SL for the drop top stuff.

I bought mine with the clear cover. I think it looks fine stock as well. Would have been happy with either, but the clear-engine cover gets a high mark for resale from what I hear.

I didn't contradict myself, because I never said that weight wasn't an issue, weight is an issue but in a car like the Gallardo the clear engine bonnet weight is not gonna really slow anyone down or upset the driving dynamics to a point in which is gonna make anyone loose a race. Who in here races a Gallardo as a way of making a living? That is my point. I don't need to explain so much into detail as I think anyone in here understands pretty much what I meant. I didn't said that you can or cannot drive to the limit, I said that I think that you wouldn't feel the difference from a Gallardo with a clear engine bonnet and one with the boring solid piece. You are to defensive and you come across as if you like to argue like a child, picking little details that don't need to be mentioned since we all know better, I guess excluding yourself. I know you will reply again but please make it interesting this time around. One thing if for sure, if most owners feel like you then maybe they should loose a few pounds of beer belly and fat ass weight, maybe that will help them do faster laps plus will make the car better looking, if like many, when posing next to it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Why don't you go back and check your post.I guess i wrote that or maybe i don't understand english.Stop thinking when you clearly aren't capable of it and stick to facts.

Yes,i am being picky and in 95% of the cases it would not matter but the fact is you don't want weight high up on a car period.Why do you suppose TRs handle so badly?Engine sitting on top of transmission.Why does BMW's new M6 have a CF roof?It only saves about 5 pounds they figure.

Which basically proves that your argument is not valid.

Also,there is no need to insult other Gallardo owners.If you cannot handle someone not agreeing with you,don't post.

Merry Christmas to you too

If a fat bastard is insulted then he needs a reality check. My point is very valid, the weight difference of both bonnets is something that will not change the outcome of track days nor straight line performance, the cornering abilities will not be noticable to the vast majority of drivers, I have run both variations hard and I didn't notice anything from one to the other concerning the bonnets. Try it yourself and then come to a conclusion and tell about it if you like.

Remember the Jack Villenueve times from Monaco to Maranello, he did it in a '76 308 completely stock in 2 hours 45 minutes. Last year I think it was either Car or Evo magazine tried to beat his time in a Ferrari Enzo and when the challengers time ran out at 2 hours and 45 minutes they were still 85 miles away from the intended destination. Of course we don't have Villenueve talents, but it goes to show that weight and hp etc. are just a little equation to real driving talent. Thats why in "our" real life weight migh be an issue for some, but for me a clear engine bonnet or not in a Gallardo is something that wont slow me or most people down at all. To someone like Villenueve it might be of concern, but we are rather irrelevant when it comes to that issue.