Advice on purchasing a Diablo 6.0/6.0 SE

nuvolari35

I'll chime in, to add to what's been said so far:

I bought my 6.0 a year ago, with 1200 miles- it was almost perfect and priced accordingly, by a dealer in the US (MC I) known for pristine examples.

I have put 5,000 miles on the car-keep in mind that where I live, outside of NYC, the roads did not become salt-free until April, and I basically put the car up for the winter in mid-November, when the road salt reappeared. So, the mileage represents purely recreational driving from mid-April through mid-November.

The only problem i've had has been with a shock absorber (one of the rears). The shock still worked, but the little electronic sender unit integrated into it- which ties into the central computer for the suspension and allow automatic or manual adjustment of the suspension from the cockpit- went haywire. You cannot rebuild these shocks as far as I know nor can you get them from any source other than Lamborghini. At 1800 US dollars per shock (x6) they can get pricey, and replacing one is no assurance that the same shock will not go 'bad' again. One possible solution is to replace all the shocks with more conventional manually adjustable racing shocks- I don't know offhand if anyone has done this. It would eliminate the electronic adjustment feature which is not a big deal in my book. This would not guarantee no problems in the future, but would allow for cheaper replacements/rebuilds when shocks go bad. Somebody with more technical knowledge may be able to explain why the shocks are not up to the task, generally.

There are also problems with the front 'lift' system- it allows you to increase nose height at the push of a button to deal with curbs and speed bumps. The conventional wisdom is to avoid using it altogether since the seals break given the amount of hydraulic pressure used to activate the lift. (I haven't yet had a problem here, but I rarely use the lift system).

Parts prices are ridiculous, even more so than Ferrari in my experience. I wanted to replace a rubber gasket on the driver's side door- something that looks like it should cost 20-50 dollars tops, at a hardware store, and perhaps a couple hundred dollars from a car dealer with mark-up. I think the gasket part price was around 900 dollars for a simple piece of 'rubber.' I got my mechanic to fashion a replacement out of generic look-alike material- cost me less than 100 dollars, parts and labor.

The motor is bulletproof as far as I know. Clutches are not.

Driveability- the car is not as quick as some from a standing start, partly because, at least in my experience, I don't want to abuse the clutch, and it is a big, heavy car.

ONce moving though, and with the revs up, it will go like the devil with his tail on fire. (I think PHXDiablo must either be lugging the car or something is wrong).

It is not a lithe, tossable sportscar, though, and is not as sharp and nimble as your Porsche. (I had a GT2 set up as a club sport, and it was not only fast, but pretty agile). The 6.0 is a big muscle car. It will handle well, but it is not, at least in my estimation, the perfect car for the super narrow twisties- instead, bigger sweepers and more open roads- it is wonderfully exhilerating to drive, and not scary at speed. The handling is amazing for such a big heavy car, and i attribute part of this to the AWD system- I'm not normally a big fan of such systems but it works well on this car and doesn't intrude too much.

It is also not a terribly practical car. I wouldn't use it as a grocery getter, errand car. When I drive it, I take it out and DRIVE it, not making frequent stops. It is a comfortable car, though, and your only limit on long distance travel is probably gas consumption. (THe passenger side feels smaller than the driver's side, but even so, my wife, who is 5'10" has no complaints when we go on a several hundred mile drive).

It is truly a supercar, and i think you'll find it much more exotic to drive and experience than the Porsche. In some ways it is old school- the dogleg first-second pattern on the gear box makes it more challenging to drive than the Murcie, but I like the interior of the 6.0 far more than the Murcie, and the 6.0 is a bit crazier, if a little less handsome, than the Murcie. Enough! It is a special car. As with all these types of cars, buy the best example you can find- the small savings on one with needs will quickly be lost, and then some, if you have to do remedial work. BTW, here's a pic of mine:

I'll drive it and let you now.  :mrgreen:

Yea, I'm cool for a switcheroo.

Ajglobal said you guys have raced with his Gallardo, and he beats you. 6.0 should toast the Gallardo. There are vids on the net of Limey, who has a 6.0 with just catback, blowing away low 11 sec, 124mph cars. He also raced an Sl65 and beat that.

I agree, something is not right? My GTS is a strong mid to low 12 sec car and should be neck and neck with a Gallardo. With my brother driving my GTS and me in my 6.0 I waste it from every angle. 20 MPH roll, just running side by side roll and from 100 on its not even on the map. I was amazed at how much stronger my 6.0 was when we ran them. Something is not right with your car if you lost to the gallardo . From a 20MPh roll even with a better driver you should be able to immediately tell that your car is faster. It is that obvious with mine and my GTS. It reels off car lengths and never stops.

Again,

First of all, thank you sincerely for your advice.

Secondly, I wish you all a Happy New Year, may it bring serenity and joy to everybody.

Finally, my very first attempt to spot my dream-Lambo ended up very early: last thursday I incredibly spot a (presumably) pristine Orion Yellow car in a specialized magazine classifieds. I immediately rang the dealer, but his response was "just sold. Two weeks time and the car was gone before Christmas". It seems my quest will be a tough task...

Ale

Whart- Nice Diablo.. my my next Lambo will be a 6.0 just like yours, or a murci like Allans... after having my red VT, I think I stuck on red Lambos for a while..

Thanks, guys. I didn't originally set out to buy one in red, but when I saw the combo, Rosso Vik, Snowcorn, and exposed carbon fiber, i was taken by it.

I told Wil to burn that pic. I look like a toothless moron imitating David Hasselhoff doing the Gary Coleman thing. If you get what I mean. The fact that I am a toothless moron imitating the Gary Coleman thing is entirely beside the point... :twisted:

Am I any better? 10 year old sweat shirt, food stain down the front, unshaven and my second best pair of my favorite worn jeans. I’m one step from looking homeless!