Mini Cooper S

MotoRacer

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a mini cooper S as a daily driver. It is so small. I think i'd be great for driving around manhattan. I've never driven one, but it looks like a street legal go cart that would be a ton of fun to zip around in. From what I have read, they are eaily modded to make it even more fun.

anyone have one? or any experience with one?

Anyone know of any good sites for performance parts, or forums?

Thanks.

-Kyle

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a mini cooper S as a daily driver. It is so small. I think i'd be great for driving around manhattan. I've never driven one, but it looks like a street legal go cart that would be a ton of fun to zip around in. From what I have read, they are eaily modded to make it even more fun.

anyone have one? or any experience with one?

Anyone know of any good sites for performance parts, or forums?

Thanks.

-Kyle

I have one, Allan has one and abolfaz has one. Allans is stock, mine is modded to about 235 HP with brembo's and abolfaz's just got done doing his. I believe he did Full out steroid edition on his. He went all out on his. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Yep, the MINI is a great daily driver! I am getting one this spring as well! I drove a Cooper S and fell in love with it. It's a very cool car IMO.

its bigger inside than you think. You can park it anywere and it is a car that can be modded or left stock. Solid value for under $20K(used) or under $25K(new).

The "S" is the way to go.

I've driven my S around Manhattan many times. Its a great car to drive in the city as it is small enough to park and manuever. The runflats run kinda hard but its a good car.

what happened:

steering rack needed replacement

transmission cables needed replacement

paint flecked off on both side mirrors initially, had to be replaced

rain gutter on roof came off, had to be replaced

engine constantly over heated due to faulty fuse design (number 7 fuse)

constant trunk rattle, never truly fixed

engine lights going haywire....god knows why...

shiftknob/handbrake looser than they should be...

just a few!!!

what happened:

steering rack needed replacement

transmission cables needed replacement

paint flecked off on both side mirrors initially, had to be replaced

rain gutter on roof came off, had to be replaced

engine constantly over heated due to faulty fuse design (number 7 fuse)

constant trunk rattle, never truly fixed

engine lights going haywire....god knows why...

shiftknob/handbrake looser than they should be...

just a few!!!

HOLY CRAP! What year is your car?

Long story short....no. I am still looking. At the moment, I dont have patience to check out any cars. I will probably wait until summer now.

What about a cooper s versus a golf gti? There in the same price range and performance is similar, what are the pro's and cons of each?

At the moment I'm thinking of going with the gti...

HOLY CRAP! What year is your car?

chili red 2003. delivered in late 2002...I truly believe theyve gotten a lot better though, It seems like many people here are quite happy with theirs!

chili red 2003. delivered in late 2002...I truly believe theyve gotten a lot better though, It seems like many people here are quite happy with theirs!

They have gotten a lot better. I am surprised you didnt have problems with windows and battery.

Anyone driven the new turbocharged S? I'm wondering if there are any mods available yet. Should be easy to add a bigger turbo and exhaust for some real HP! The VW guys are getting 350hp fairly easily out of 1.8 L.

Anyone driven the new turbocharged S? I'm wondering if there are any mods available yet. Should be easy to add a bigger turbo and exhaust for some real HP! The VW guys are getting 350hp fairly easily out of 1.8 L.

Udo, the first weekend they were out, I took one for a spin. It has a nice even turbocharged engine. No supercharged whine that the other "S" has. Its got a nice kick as it is, but strap a larger turbo and other performance mods and you will have a screamer. One total advancement is NO torque steer. I really hated that about the previous models. Plus, if you modified the Mini, you got more torque steer. The engineers did a nice job on the new one.

The price for a new Mini "S" is under $25,000(could be less, I just cant remember).

Go test drive one and see what you think

Udo, the first weekend they were out, I took one for a spin. It has a nice even turbocharged engine. No supercharged whine that the other "S" has. Its got a nice kick as it is, but strap a larger turbo and other performance mods and you will have a screamer. One total advancement is NO torque steer. I really hated that about the previous models. Plus, if you modified the Mini, you got more torque steer. The engineers did a nice job on the new one.

The price for a new Mini "S" is under $25,000(could be less, I just cant remember).

Go test drive one and see what you think

Just test drove. Surprisingly a great little fun car. The interior is a rough sell but I guess I could try to get used to it.

Would be great in the twisties.

They are pushing 33k at the dealership by my house for fully loaded 07's.

Going to consider...

They have gotten a lot better. I am surprised you didnt have problems with windows and battery.

I had those too! my battery is a POS (was) and my windows "stick"

Yes it can be... then add when you tires find water and your jumping on the express way...

Its scary.

Just test drove. Surprisingly a great little fun car. The interior is a rough sell but I guess I could try to get used to it.

Would be great in the twisties.

They are pushing 33k at the dealership by my house for fully loaded 07's.

Going to consider...

$33K? That's a bit steep. I'll have to go check them out, though. I'm getting a bit bored with the Infiniti.

$33K? That's a bit steep. I'll have to go check them out, though. I'm getting a bit bored with the Infiniti.

BMW north Scottsdale had one for around $25K. No leather but all the new gadgetry. Check it out.