Bad shape 91 diablo

staccato

Hi Guys

Picked up a 91 diablo which was in bad running condition but for a great price and in good condition. I changed all the spark plugs, cap, rotor and both coils. Car runs but when you give it gas there is a lag befor the engine picks up. Also when I put it in gear and put the engine under a load to move the car forward it back fires. Does this sound like an engine timing issue or something else.

Sounds like a clutch is experiencing slippage......Does this happen on flat road or just on high incline? How many miles is on the O and do you have record of recent service?

Car is in my garage and it back fires when I put it in gear just to move it forward or backward. Car has about 48,000km your right in saying the car needs a service. There are no records. I also did a carfax and all is clean. I just wanted to try to fix it myself or maybe sell it before I sink tomuch into it because I already own a 91 Diablo.

How long has the car sat in this condition? Is the gas good in the tank? Plug wires were put back in the wrong firing order, wet spark plugs, injectors fouled, bad o2 sensors. These are all things that can be fixed pretty easily.

Kinda sounds like a fuel starving but it could also be the fuel injection pickup sensor timing. If the timing chain tensioners have not been replaced and have failed or if the new tensioner is out of adjustment the cam could have skipped time, which in turn also puts the pickups out of time because they are timed off the cam. check the timing of these with your flywheel marks.

check the fuel pickup and fuel pump. The sending unit could be clogged up.

are you still on the tank of gas you bought it with? Run that out and get some new fuel in there.

Hi guys

I draine the gas once I got the car home, and changed all the fluides.

Looks like it might be an O2 Sensor issue. In the engine bay on top of the right wheel there are a couple of white bars with wires coming out of them, they are unpluged. Once I plug them in and try to start the car I get the right o2 sensor light and beep and the engine stops. I'll have to do some diging because I thought the sensors where on top of the Y-Pipe of the exhaust were both headers came together. It looks like there is a plug there. I'll have to located it. I'm going to start removing stuff from the car today.

Those are not the o2 sensors...those are the thermocouples...if they are bad, it will send signal to computer to shut down...thats probably why they were unplugged.

I always thought the thermocoupler was on top of the thermostat housing. And there is only one. I could be wrong.

On that side that you talk about, I have some heat sensor probes that go into the cats. But they wouldnt cause anything but a check cat light.

One of the dash lights that stays on after I start the car has a circle with an exclamation mark in it. I can't seem to find this in the owners manual. Anyone no what it means.

One of the dash lights that stays on after I start the car has a circle with an exclamation mark in it. I can't seem to find this in the owners manual. Anyone no what it means.

Shes going to blow. :icon_mrgreen:

I will look

Those heat sensor probes are the thermocouplers I'm talking about. If they detect too much heat..they will light up the dash light. If they are bad, the motor will start, then shut off

Thanks for all the help so far guys. This car has no O2 Sensors. I took the muffler heat shield off and looked all down the exhaust. It looks like they where removed and plugged. Can't find the wire either.

Hi topcarbon. Just checking to see if you found an answer for the light on the dash.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help so far guys. This car has no O2 Sensors. I took the muffler heat shield off and looked all down the exhaust. It looks like they where removed and plugged. Can't find the wire either.

Hi topcarbon. Just checking to see if you found an answer for the light on the dash.

Thanks

this is a really stupid question, are you sure the light with the circle and the "!" is not indicating the parking brake is not all the way released?

i dont have a Diablo to look at, but some of my other exotics have had that symbol for the brake.

best wishes,

Michael

this is a really stupid question, are you sure the light with the circle and the "!" is not indicating the parking brake is not all the way released?

i dont have a Diablo to look at, but some of my other exotics have had that symbol for the brake.

best wishes,

Michael

Yes and no. The "!" means there is a malfunction or failure in the braking system.

Looking at the manual, its a bit confusing, or its redundant the idiot lights for the braking system. There are five lights pertain for the braking system.

There is the "!" which is for a malfunction in the braking system

the pads warning light "(O)

Parking brake is on (P)

Parking brake warning light "Park Brake"

and

"brake" parking brake is on or indicates a malfunction in the brake syatem.

You should always know there is a system failure with this many warning lights.

Thanks again guys.

I knew what the "P" light ment because it goes on and off with the parking brake. I'll have to check the brake fluid level.

I live in Canada just across from Detroit. I think I just might have it towed to Detroit Michigan Lambo dealer for a check up and see what it needs.

Thanks again guys.

I knew what the "P" light ment because it goes on and off with the parking brake. I'll have to check the brake fluid level.

I live in Canada just across from Detroit. I think I just might have it towed to Detroit Michigan Lambo dealer for a check up and see what it needs.

So, how much did you pay for this Diablo? Curious minds NEED to know.

Any pics?

Any other background you want to give?

These two replies below most likely hold the answer:

How long has the car sat in this condition? Is the gas good in the tank? Plug wires were put back in the wrong firing order, wet spark plugs, injectors fouled, bad o2 sensors. These are all things that can be fixed pretty easily.

Kinda sounds like a fuel starving but it could also be the fuel injection pickup sensor timing. If the timing chain tensioners have not been replaced and have failed or if the new tensioner is out of adjustment the cam could have skipped time, which in turn also puts the pickups out of time because they are timed off the cam. check the timing of these with your flywheel marks.