Bentley GTC

taxline

How would a gtc do as a daily driver? Would it hold up for 12-14k miles a year? I want to swap my SL500, my current daily driver for the GTC. Any have experience with them or thoughts? I havent test drove it yet...

How would a gtc do as a daily driver? Would it hold up for 12-14k miles a year? I want to swap my SL500, my current daily driver for the GTC. Any have experience with them or thoughts? I havent test drove it yet...

I have had 2 GT coupes and the car is very nice to drive.Fit and finish is excellent and neither one had any issues.Bear in mind they depreciate like bricks and my only beef is gas mileage.It is like a shopvac.If you drive a lot you will be filling up every 2 days and that is the main reason why i sold my last one.Sick and tired of being at a gas station 3 times a week.

I have had 2 GT coupes and the car is very nice to drive.Fit and finish is excellent and neither one had any issues.Bear in mind they depreciate like bricks and my only beef is gas mileage.It is like a shopvac.If you drive a lot you will be filling up every 2 days and that is the main reason why i sold my last one.Sick and tired of being at a gas station 3 times a week.

Thanks for the advice. Not worried about the gas, but i will be driving it alot. I'm more worried about the soft top holding up and the engine reliablity.

Thanks for the advice. Not worried about the gas, but i will be driving it alot. I'm more worried about the soft top holding up and the engine reliablity.

I was told by a Bentley rep (not the dealer's salesman but a big brass from Bentley HQ) that the top shares many components with the Audi A4 convertible (same VAG group). So it really isn't anything new and haven't heard anything bad about A4's soft top. I haven't came across any engine realibility either --- again, it's a VAG W12, no issues really. If anything at all, I would worry about electronics as I have seen a few Continentals with electronic issues --- nothing major but minor annoyance here & there. My complain is with BMWRACER, the car's extreme thirst. No so much on the costs but just a pain to constantly filling it.

What did you get to replace the CGT Aram? I saw a couple of CGTs in the last 2-3 weeks...the command such presence while being very low-profile to the normal population. Very well balanced look.

I was told by a Bentley rep (not the dealer's salesman but a big brass from Bentley HQ) that the top shares many components with the Audi A4 convertible (same VAG group). So it really isn't anything new and haven't heard anything bad about A4's soft top. I haven't came across any engine realibility either --- again, it's a VAG W12, no issues really. If anything at all, I would worry about electronics as I have seen a few Continentals with electronic issues --- nothing major but minor annoyance here & there. My complain is with BMWRACER, the car's extreme thirst. No so much on the costs but just a pain to constantly filling it.

:iamwithstupid:

I work for a very large volume Bentley dealership and I have seen no top problems yet. I absolutely love driving the GTC...especially at 150mph and up!!!!

• 1 month later...

The sat nav is pooh and the electrics like wheel sensors are bad. Always saying flat tyre, brake lights not working. this takes away the central tunnel where you get satnav turn instructions. Blue tooth and sim insert phone system very poor and defective, so bad for business use, cab will probably be slightly worse for navy etc. due to resiteing signal reception?

Interior and mechanically its a great car.

Bentley GT faults

1. The wheel sensors keep reporting a flat wheel and beep on the starting up and do not allow the Sat Nav functionality and radio to continue in the front tunnel simply showing a flat wheel. There are no flats and tyre pressure is correct.

2. On start up from cold I get intermittent warnings saying the car has overheated, this after starting it up cold on a new day. It has caused the car to cut out once while I was already rolling. It usually starts and works through this but it is a concern especially as it seems to have a safety mechanism that cuts the drive if ‘sensed’.

3. It also states break/hand break lights not working regularly, both appear to be functioning.

4. The phone system see’s me not be heard although I can hear callers, this is when attached via blue tooth on a Nokia N95. This makes the system unusable.

5. When I place the SIM in the slot the system nothing works at all and no calls can be made or received, it worked in the beginning with this very card and has now ceased to do so entirely.

6. This means the car is no longer a daily user for me as a business travel vehicle and is not acceptable.

7. Another occasional but not consistent fault is the electric seating, I have let people in behind me and when I push the seat back electrically it keeps going back. If I try stop it by giving it a jab in the opposite direction, it starts moving forward continuously. I was forced to drive for an extended period once when adjusting the seat while moving, with the seat going back and forward with the people sitting behind wondering what on earth I was doing.

8. The parking sensors mainly rear are slow in response and not incremental like those on ordinary BMW’s. They go from no signal to full beep instantly even when reversing at a moderate pace. I went from quiet to a prolonged beep and damaged the rear fender/bumper as a result. Two separate BMW’s have provided acceptable incremental beeping that never lead to such a result. This is all in reversing out my own garage, a place familiar to me and with the Bentley where I have exercised great caution.

9. The SAT NAV volume is blaring and it has proven an enigma to find where the settings for this can be adjusted.

Please repair the light damage to the bumper as per the second reduced quote provided when we original discussed this work and also quote and repair the nick on the rear mirror passenger side.

The car will require a new phone unit, rear sensors and the seat adjustments will require investigation. All the effected sensors require resetting or replacement.

10. My business partner also bought a Mulliner BGT just after me, his central tunnel function is also disabled saying flat wheel erroneously. In fact he has suffered every other problem listed above as I have. Although he has had the added disability of non-functioning wipers everytime it rains! I have not yet suffered this.

11. The Satnav is a big disappointment and very clunky in functionality once again BMW menus are far more intuitive and less fiddly.

It appears this car has serious electronic issues late into the model run year as mine is a 56 plate and his an 07 (3-4 yrs into run). This has also been reported on forums where the car is covered.

:iamwithstupid:

I work for a very large volume Bentley dealership and I have seen no top problems yet. I absolutely love driving the GTC...especially at 150mph and up!!!!

my Bentley GT faults reported at first service - primarily electric.

1. The wheel sensors keep reporting a flat wheel and beep on the starting up and do not allow the Sat Nav functionality and radio to continue in the front tunnel simply showing a flat wheel. There are no flats and tyre pressure is correct.

2. On start up from cold I get intermittent warnings saying the car has overheated, this after starting it up cold on a new day. It has caused the car to cut out once while I was already rolling. It usually starts and works through this but it is a concern especially as it seems to have a safety mechanism that cuts the drive if ‘sensed’.

3. It also states break/hand break lights not working regularly, both appear to be functioning.

4. The phone system see’s me not be heard although I can hear callers, this is when attached via blue tooth on a Nokia N95. This makes the system unusable.

5. When I place the SIM in the slot the system nothing works at all and no calls can be made or received, it worked in the beginning with this very card and has now ceased to do so entirely.

6. This means the car is no longer a daily user for me as a business travel vehicle and is not acceptable.

7. Another occasional but not consistent fault is the electric seating, I have let people in behind me and when I push the seat back electrically it keeps going back. If I try stop it by giving it a jab in the opposite direction, it starts moving forward continuously. I was forced to drive for an extended period once when adjusting the seat while moving, with the seat going back and forward with the people sitting behind wondering what on earth I was doing.

8. The parking sensors mainly rear are slow in response and not incremental like those on ordinary BMW’s. They go from no signal to full beep instantly even when reversing at a moderate pace. I went from quiet to a prolonged beep and damaged the rear fender/bumper as a result. Two separate BMW’s have provided acceptable incremental beeping that never lead to such a result. This is all in reversing out my own garage, a place familiar to me and with the Bentley where I have exercised great caution.

9. The SAT NAV volume is blaring and it has proven an enigma to find where the settings for this can be adjusted.

10. My business partner also bought a Mulliner BGT just after me, his central tunnel function is also disabled saying flat wheel erroneously. In fact he has suffered every other problem listed above as I have. Although he has had the added disability of non-functioning wipers everytime it rains! I have not yet suffered this.

11. The Satnav is a big disappointment and very clunky in functionality once again BMW menus are far more intuitive and less fiddly.

It appears this car has serious electronic issues late into the model run year as mine is a 56 plate and his an 07 (3-4 years In). This has also been reported on forums where the car is covered.

I have a GTC and haven't had any of the above issues. The car is solid as a rock and the soft top is first class for a soft top. The nav isn't the greatest but the stereo sounds good for stock. Still haven't got the bluetooth to hook up to my Pearl and was told it doesn't recognize all phones. As far as the engine and the important stuff the car is great. The exhaust note is good stock and the power is just right. The gas mileage sucks but so does everything with 500+hp. I am sure it will drop but I hope the convert will hold a bit better than the coupe. Fit and finish is great and the ability to personlize makes it special.

I love the car, its great in all situations, very comfortable, very quiet, very fast, very smooth. Great GT car all around. Bentley really hold up their tradition of building the best GT car in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a dealer ( Bentley Greenwich) and we are constantly taking in trades at least one a week on SL's and S55 AMG's for some reason. It is an extremely reliable daily driver and haven't actually heard any complaints about gas mileage. Dark Sapphire looks amazing in this car or the Silver color in which the color debuted at the NYIAS back on 2006

• 3 weeks later...
I work for a dealer ( Bentley Greenwich) and we are constantly taking in trades at least one a week on SL's and S55 AMG's for some reason. It is an extremely reliable daily driver and haven't actually heard any complaints about gas mileage. Dark Sapphire looks amazing in this car or the Silver color in which the color debuted at the NYIAS back on 2006

Tempest Silver