Another track day with the 722

LPDADDY

My third time at the track with the car and it is all coming together now.My initial conclusions were wrong.Now that i have gotten used to the car i am finding it a real blast to drive.

Of course the brakes are awsome and no need to elaborate anymore.The cornering limits are really high as i was at a track where you could push the car without having fears of smacking it into a wall.

In tight corners it like to understeer first then oversteers but driven at 80% which most people won't it is really hard to unglue it from the track.Power is phenomenal and allows you to power steer you way out of some corners and it oinly misses one thing.A real SMG box.

The auto tranny is not well suited for the track imo even with the paddles.

have you made changes to the suspension since your last times out?

glad to hear its settling in :icon_super:

No i did not.As i said it was me trying to drive it like the Gallardo and it doesn't work.So i had to adjust and the car responded very favourably.I am now impressed as it is a big car and handles very well for it size

No i did not.As i said it was me trying to drive it like the Gallardo and it doesn't work.So i had to adjust and the car responded very favourably.I am now impressed as it is a big car and handles very well for it size

How do you drive the Gallardo on the track?

I'm curious how you drive mid-engine 4wd vs. front-engine rwd ....

For instance, are you a fan of trail braking?

Guest miyagi
BMWRACER do you have any videos of you racing the Gallardo? I would love to see some!

Thank you!

^^^ I co-sign what the two people above me said BMWRacer.

Any driving advice for us G owners doing track days?

Man...you gotta tell me about those track days ahead of time!! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback.

BMWRACER do you have any videos of you racing the Gallardo? I would love to see some!

Thank you!

I have never raced the Gallardo per se.I have taken it to the track a few times and i do have a video somewhere.I just have to find it.

Felippe

AWD cars tend to push specially in slow corners so the way to overcome it is to left foot brake when you are in the corner so that you bring the rear ened around a little and point the car in the direction you want.It takes a lot of practice and is not easy to do but once you get the hang of it it is the fastest way around the track.

Trail braking is no big deal.You can do it in some corners and in the Gallardo's case quite easily.

The Gallardo's chassis is excellent and the car is an absolute joy to drive on track.

As far as advice for track days.If you have never been on a track before i suggest taking some lessons from a pro or a school.It will give you the basics that you can practice on you own time and at least give you an idea of what it is all about.Also it is good not to develop bad habits from the beginning as they are hard to correct afterwards.

I have never raced the Gallardo per se.I have taken it to the track a few times and i do have a video somewhere.I just have to find it.

Felippe

AWD cars tend to push specially in slow corners so the way to overcome it is to left foot brake when you are in the corner so that you bring the rear ened around a little and point the car in the direction you want.It takes a lot of practice and is not easy to do but once you get the hang of it it is the fastest way around the track.

Trail braking is no big deal.You can do it in some corners and in the Gallardo's case quite easily.

The Gallardo's chassis is excellent and the car is an absolute joy to drive on track.

As far as advice for track days.If you have never been on a track before i suggest taking some lessons from a pro or a school.It will give you the basics that you can practice on you own time and at least give you an idea of what it is all about.Also it is good not to develop bad habits from the beginning as they are hard to correct afterwards.

Interesting analysis....I will point out that left foot braking isn't an option with regular manuals (unless you are superman), and I'll presume your Gallardo is e-gear, correct? Did you buy it this way with this in mind?

Also, I saw a video on 5th Gear where Tiff Needel said the Gallardo was more neutral on cold tires....rotating it more easily.

As far as track advice, that all sounds good. I don't have track experience like taking a street car on a racetrack. All I have is a few hours of karting experience and a handful of autocross runs. I haven't had pro instruction yet...

I will say that I kinda suck at karting...I get beat by people I will easily defeat in a street car. I know the two don't necessarily translate to each other, but perhaps my lines are poor? I'm not the only person being beat by young guys, lol.

When you say "bad habits", elaborate. Thanks.

Interesting analysis....I will point out that left foot braking isn't an option with regular manuals (unless you are superman), and I'll presume your Gallardo is e-gear, correct? Did you buy it this way with this in mind?

Also, I saw a video on 5th Gear where Tiff Needel said the Gallardo was more neutral on cold tires....rotating it more easily.

As far as track advice, that all sounds good. I don't have track experience like taking a street car on a racetrack. All I have is a few hours of karting experience and a handful of autocross runs. I haven't had pro instruction yet...

I will say that I kinda suck at karting...I get beat by people I will easily defeat in a street car. I know the two don't necessarily translate to each other, but perhaps my lines are poor? I'm not the only person being beat by young guys, lol.

When you say "bad habits", elaborate. Thanks.

Left foot braking can be done on any car stick or auto.My Gallardo is 6 speed.FYI the fastest way to drive a turbo car is by left foot braking.A good example is the 935 Porsche which has a fully locked rear diff which means the car pushes in just about every corner.When you get in the corner you brake with the left foot and keep you foot on the gas to keep the turbos spooled up so that when you exit the corner there is no lag time and the car takes off.

As i said it requires a lot of practice and some people never get the hang of it but if you do you are the king.

Go karts are the best bang for the buck.They are fabulous training for the track and shifter karts are just unbelieavable.A 250cc shifter Kart will do 0-60 in 2.5 sec and top out at 140mph depending on gearing and will easily pull 2.5 to 3g in the corners.

I have done a few days on shifter karts and i can hardly do more than 12 to 15 laps full out without feeling wiped out.You ribs take a beating and it is by far one of the best cardio workouts you will get.I have come out of the Kart and my pulse would be at 180.

Driving on track is very different than the street.As i said for a beginner the best thing to do is to take lessons.The theory first and then practice and practice some more as seat time is what is going to make you faster and better.

What i mean by bad habits is for example:

Going into a corner way too fast and braking in the middle so as to unsettle the car.

Downshifting in the middle of a corner when there no need to.

etc etc

I hope this is of some help

• 3 weeks later...
Left foot braking can be done on any car stick or auto.My Gallardo is 6 speed.FYI the fastest way to drive a turbo car is by left foot braking.A good example is the 935 Porsche which has a fully locked rear diff which means the car pushes in just about every corner.When you get in the corner you brake with the left foot and keep you foot on the gas to keep the turbos spooled up so that when you exit the corner there is no lag time and the car takes off.

As i said it requires a lot of practice and some people never get the hang of it but if you do you are the king.

Go karts are the best bang for the buck.They are fabulous training for the track and shifter karts are just unbelieavable.A 250cc shifter Kart will do 0-60 in 2.5 sec and top out at 140mph depending on gearing and will easily pull 2.5 to 3g in the corners.

I have done a few days on shifter karts and i can hardly do more than 12 to 15 laps full out without feeling wiped out.You ribs take a beating and it is by far one of the best cardio workouts you will get.I have come out of the Kart and my pulse would be at 180.

Driving on track is very different than the street.As i said for a beginner the best thing to do is to take lessons.The theory first and then practice and practice some more as seat time is what is going to make you faster and better.

What i mean by bad habits is for example:

Going into a corner way too fast and braking in the middle so as to unsettle the car.

Downshifting in the middle of a corner when there no need to.

etc etc

I hope this is of some help

Ive been trying to find a place with shifter karts around Toronto, can u advice me where to go?

thanks.