Wow!!! Left Front Cat----meow!!!

VIVEK

So after hearing a little rattle in the exhaust, this is what was found--first pic w/ flash, 2nd pic w/o (it's a bit difficult to see the second pic, but trust me, it's there!). I'm going to make sure it's not just the spark plugs, but given the rattle sound, I'm almost positive it's the cat that has gone bad. Assuming I need a new left front cat, do any of you have any suggestions in terms of replacement? Should I just replace with OEM, something aftermarket, or bypass completely? Again, thanks in advance!!

post-10951-1191002647_thumb.jpg

post-10951-1191002662_thumb.jpg

Yes.

BTW, the car is a '98 SV. I've been looking into bypassing the cats and using an 02 simulator--any thoughts? What are the chances of repeat check engine lights? What can I expect in terms of performance and sound? The car already has a Tubi exhaust w/ the rear cats bypassed. Thanks again,

Vivek

Yes.

When does the error light come on? This was happening to me recently on my 97 and I thought I might have to replace or delete the primary cats. The light came on after a hard run that would surge the engine temp. Then the engine would lose significant power and the catalyst light would flash. This would go on for 90 seconds then the engine would return to normal. It would repeat every 90 seconds.

Take your car into the nearest Lambo dealer and have their service department run some diagnostics. Turned out my cats were fine but the readings between the left and right banks were off. This was causing one of the banks to overcompensate for the other which overheated one of the cats. Settings for the banks were matched to each other and I haven't had the problem since.