Nissan GTR on stock tires just did 7:29

RCChris

"BTW I just came back from a Nissan dealer. They are pre-selling it for 90k with a mandatory 5g for holding your spot"

Sounds like the Audi dealers with the R-8, they couldnt give me a definite price, european delivery, and i didnt want to wait..and got a v 10 now. at 90k + sounds close to ZR1 range..but it does have AWD...but the looks...ugggh...

Yeah 90k is in msrp ZR1 range. Wait till you see the markup on the ZR1 lol.

BTW a GTR has been entered in the upcoming Car and Driver's One Lap of America. Lots of new cars will be entered like the ACR prepped by Hennessey and Im sure Davia returning in the Porsche and wouldnt be surprised to see the new GT2 in the mix as well. Also a Vanishing Point Challenger will be running as well. Great way to market the upcoming SRT8 Challangers. Will be keeping an eye on this one closely. Eager to see what the GTR and ACR will bring to the table.

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

I quite like the look, but really want to see it up close before making a real judgement, which hopefully isn't too far away until we get a few down this way.

Waiting for NZ$ MSRP also, sounds like it's gonna be ~140k which is pretty good, the R34 was ~125k.

It is however not under rated on ugliness.

:icon_mrgreen:

I'm pretty certain it was Fifth gear, though I could be wrong. GTR is 70,000 and the GT3 is more than double the price. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that its better than a CGT or Zonda clubsport. I'm just saying it deserves respect!

In the uk they are going to sell for far more than 1/2 a gt3.

Sure its an amazing car deserving respect...but a stock 7.29......sorry but simply not possible. That puts it 6 secs faster than rt-12...is that possible????

Ps. if the manu. arent claiming it stock....then it isnt. My guess is that it's the v-spec under wraps.

so im guessing the Vspec will be right on the tail of a Radical SR8 :lol2:

Lol I know where you are coming from. But I didnt think they could get a 3850lb car around the Ring anywhere near a 7:40 with that power rating but they did. Teh 7:29 is hard to believe but they have changed the game it seems with top notch tech etc. This car seems to be corner balanced from the factory etc. I doubt the Vspec will be on Radical level but I would be surprised to see a low 7:20 if indeed this regular GTR can do 7:29. Only time will tell if the hype is real or its just marketing genius.

BTW the first real test of the GTR in the currently running One Lap of America. It finished 4th in a seriously fast class. Check out the results from Road America track.

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/history/200...08&res=EV02

sorry bro, I dont believe any of this nonesense. in the hands of SportAuto, with 5 laps they got the GTR to do a 7:50, right with the Plastic mess-06 and 997TT.

7:29 is possible but not in the context of "regular rationale". i.e. Nissan didn't simply grab a driver and put him in a car off the showroom and drove it around the 'Ring to achieve that. The car may be "stock" but most likely tweaked to the threshold of being "non-stock" by the best team of engineers that Nissan has. Nissan also has a residence shop/garage at the 'Ring so it probably knows every inch of the track knowing exactly when to do what during the run. They used the best driver who knew every aspect of the car inside & out to pilot the car. Telemetrics & software certainly played their part and who knows how many laps were done before achieving the time. It can be done but not in a "common sense" way.

The "Skyline GTR" (well, only the GTR is left for now) has always been regarded as a national pride and even to the point of national treasure status in Japan. Nissan NEEDS to deliver this car promptly if it were to wear the GTR moniker. Added by the Renault buy-in a few years back, it was a severely bitter blow for the Japanese that a "foreign" company has to come to its rescue. At any rate, there is this "we-are-back-and we-can-and-will-take-you-down/vengence-and-honour" factor involved. All of the GTR's since the 60's had the "we-will-show-you" pride in them. The game apexed when the R32 took on the 911 and won. So, it really is just history repeating itself in a up-to-date (in technology & engineering) episode. No big deal...really.

I have sat in a number of R35's in all of its 3 guises in Japan. I even drove one around but of all places in core Downtown Tokyo traffic so it was a casual drive that showed absolutely nothing. It's well built but too many plastic. Quality is very good and obviously a lot of thought has been put into the car. But it remains a mass-produced car so don't expect anything extraordinary. The electronics in this car is simply amazing if not inundating. So any regular Joe can track this car at lightning speed and came out like a champ. But given a pro who knows the car well and with the aid of the electronics, this car will simply fly! So, again, no surprises. Just that who was doing the driving more, the on-board computers or the actual driver?

If Nissan and/or the Japanese marketing mindset have their ways, expect the new GTR to have a plethora of incarnations. Simply look at the last GTR, the R34 --- standard-spec, V-spec, V-spec II, M-Spec, N1, V-spec Nur, M-spec Nur and along with NISMO's own R1, S1 & Sport Resetting tuning and finally, the Z-tune. This new car is set to milk out every last $ from your car guy and hence the marketing hype on the car. 2008 also marks the 50 Anniversary of the Skyline series so yet another channel of marketing. It also marks the return of the GTR since the last R34 rolled off the assembly line in 2002 and that includes the racing version. (The 20 Z-tune's were not "new" cars so they don't really count.)

There are already a number of negative press about the new GTR in Japan. Its on-board computer links up the ECU with the GPS so when the car is on any of Japan's official race course. The car senses it and engages the car into "track mode" including turning off its limiter. But after the track, one MUST return the car to Nissan for inspection and reset within 200km or the factory warranty will be voided! The valve stems on the OEM wheels have build-in electronics to "talk" to the car's ECU. So, if one changes a new set of non-Nissan wheels, the ECU goes a bit weird because it's missing some info from the wheels. That also applies to the OEM tires to which Nissan has exclusive distribution rights to it. A new set of tires plus recalibration of the software is suppose to be 1 million Yen, which is roughly USD9,600.-!!! And the mapping of the ECU is so complex on the new car along with so many electronics on every part of the car has rendered it to be a huge challenge to tuners. No way will the R35 be as easy and fun to gain more hp & performance as the previous generations of GTR's.

It's still a great car regardless and supposedly a bargain as far as $$$ vs. performance. It might be a giant killer (as it always has been) but a Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini will have their prestige. The GTR will probably be a great daily driver though. But I wouldn't pay extra to join the bandwagon and judging from the Japanese marketing technique, greater versions of this car will follow in the not-so-distance future. Just as more "eyebrow raising figures" will continue to trickle in to keep the hype up. It would be interesting to know how different will the Nortrh American version be.

Bottom line: the time is possible but not without a ton of effort and at the end of the day --- it's just another marketing tool.

good post, but I still doubt the 7:29 is possible when a CGT in the hands of WR can "only" do a 7:28.

I respect your doubt Lambornima as I share some of it as well but so far no evidence to refute Nissans claims except for the laws of Physics lol. Just an update on the GTR in the One Lap of America race. Its getting its azz handed to it by a Dodge ACR by 10's of secs a lap. Not even the Davia Porsche is able to handle the ACR. It looks like the GTR legend is fizzling fassst against the ACR. It is competative with the 996 and 997 GT3 Porsches though.

Ive always noticed that the Ring killers i.e. 911's/Plastic mess-06 etc always tie or get beat on our shores by cars that have comparatively poor Ring times. Case in point 911 TT and Plastic mess-06 both have 30+ second advantage over the 03-06 Viper at the Nurburgring. Obviously none of the Vipers Ring times were factory efforts like that of Porsche or Plastic mess-06 to be fair but when these 3 meet up on tracks on our shores they barely beat the Viper or it beats them. Ring times are a great accomplishment but its far from the end all and be all judge of a sportscar imho. Alot of guys will get there heart broken if they buy a car just based on Ring supremacy. just my worthless 2 pence.

BTW just an update for us roadcourse race fans. The ACR has now won all 9 roadcourse races going away so far. Not bad for a 100k street/track car. Not to mention its absolutely murdering the supposed 7:29sec Ring killer, the GTR. Im really wondering what the ACR will do at the Ring if setup for it.

• 4 months later...

Wow what a difference a few months make lol. Looks like the truth may be coming out about the GTR? I was getting a severe embolism trying to figure out how the hell Nissan put physics in a chokehold. Its still early but I doubt Nissan will be able to keep up the charade much longer unless they can have an independent 3rd party backup that 7:29 or at the very least come within 5 secs of that time in a BONESTOCK non ringer GTR. Still got love for it but seeing it pretty much keep pace with the ZR1 when you compare both Ring videos on the back straight really makes you realize Nissan is in marketing overdrive[im being kind here].

I have alot of friends on the V.E.T.T.E forums and its getting mopped up by the Plastic mess-06. Im sure the $103,300 ZR1 would do some serious damage to the GTR. And I love the GTR, but I think they are going to have to come a long way with the V-Spec. They are also having serious issues with the transmission.

This being one of the biggest jokes

GTRmanuel.jpg

There are other "problems" with the car, using the launch control may void the warranty

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=G...mp;aq=f&oq=

The Edmonds blog is also worth the read

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2009-nissan-gtr/

A friend of mine has one, using launch control WILL void the warranty.

A friend of mine has one, using launch control WILL void the warranty.

Im trying to find where I read that the warranty is "temporarily void" when using the launch control, the car needs to be "re-certified" with a trip to the dealer after its used, but I cant find it again. Not saying this is the case. I just read it somewhere.

I also read Nissan reported 27 transmission failures using the launch control out of like 253 cars delivered. Nissan reporting in cars that the launch control being used as little as 11 times and as many as 34 times before the transmissions "broke" I do know that the most number of launch controlled launches recorded by the black box before breaking was 34.

Also Haltech runs 11.1 @ 124 with their engine computer..

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/2008/05/1...-stock-t?blog=4

$1000 for tranny fluids once a year anyone?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22947

Im trying to find where I read that the warranty is "temporarily void" when using the launch control, the car needs to be "re-certified" with a trip to the dealer after its used, but I cant find it again. Not saying this is the case. I just read it somewhere.

I also read Nissan reported 27 transmission failures using the launch control out of like 253 cars delivered. Nissan reporting in cars that the launch control being used as little as 11 times and as many as 34 times before the transmissions "broke" I do know that the most number of launch controlled launches recorded by the black box before breaking was 34.

Also Haltech runs 11.1 @ 124 with their engine computer..

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/2008/05/1...-stock-t?blog=4

$1000 for tranny fluids once a year anyone?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22947

Kinda pointless to have a car with launch control from the factory but if you use it you void the warranty. LMAO. You change rims you void warranty I heard also. Anything you do to personalize the car seems like it will void your warranty. Doesnt sound like a car I want to own anymore. Too many other faster cars that are far less high maintenance and fragile out there.

$1000 for tranny fluids lmao again. Ferrari prices for a Nissan. Maybe they should have made this car an Infiniti maybe then the price of maintenance would make a little more sence. No hate on Nissan folks I own a Z but this is not sounding like such a great bargain anymore. At least not for the average joe that can afford the price of entry.